    more enjoyable and rewarding. Perhaps one day I'll do the MCSA, but not
    yet.

    So Michael, you were right and I was wrong.

    Maincat, Jun 21, 2007

  2. Maincat

    catwalker63 Guest

    Maincat piffled away vaguely:
    > I thought I was right, but I wasn't.....
    >
    > I was studying for the MCSA. Doing 70-290 and getting on fine. I have to
    > say that I disagreed with Michael D Alligood and the general thrust of his
    > point (as I understood it) that experience is everything.
    >
    > I have to have an operation soon, so decided to alter my study plans. I now
    > am doing the MCDST, having just passed 70-271. This certification course
    > maps much more to my experience. I find it so much easier than the 70-290,
    > more enjoyable and rewarding. Perhaps one day I'll do the MCSA, but not
    > yet.
    >
    > So Michael, you were right and I was wrong.

    Perhaps your bigger mistake was in thinking that Michael was the only
    one who believes this truth. Even MS directs the exams at the
    experienced audience. It's valuable to learn the hard way sometimes
    but it's definitely the harder route. People new(er) to this field
    need to be willing to learn from those who have been there. This is a
    field where you are always new(er) at something so you need to learn
    to recognize when to listen and when to talk. Keep studying, keep
    listening, and keep trying new things. Pretty soon the newbies will
    be ignorning your advice. :D
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jun 21, 2007

  3. "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    > Pretty soon the newbies will
    > be ignorning your advice. :D
    > --

    So very true!

    Maincat, experience is key. Without it, passing the exam just proves
    that you could answer questions posed to you by Subject Matter Experts
    -- not very hard for a good test taker with multiple choice questions.
    Keeping with this train of thought, say you do pass the exam without
    experience. What are you doing to the certification industry and the
    experienced individuals who hold that certification? You help devalue
    it. Employers help devalue it by hiring inexperienced certified people.

    I am glad to hear that you switched to a subject you have experience in.
    Good luck with your studies and your operation. I hope both go smoothly.
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 22, 2007