Mainboard & BIOS no-longer detect HDD & CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by BibBob5, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. BibBob5

    BibBob5 Guest

    I'm trying to get my daughter's older PC working so she can get on Net
    when her husband is using other PC for his business.
    I found CTX-PC not working after son-in-law canibalized DVD-+RW drive
    and now HDD & CD-RW drive are no-longer detected by either BIOS or
    Mainboard.

    When PC is turned on I get normal single beep during POST then get a
    "woop" (like a newer police siren) sound plus a clicking sound during
    Mem-Test. Mem-Test is OK but since PC doen't see HDD, startup fails.
    The woop/clicking returns periodically.

    Configuration:
    CTX AMD-K6-2/300
    Award BIOS
    StarBIOS Mainboard FC
    Chipset Alladin 5
    WinMe
    40gb HDD

    I have done following:

    1. made sure master/slave settings correct;
    2. checked ALL cable connections
    3. tried using diagnostics:
    - PC Doctor (tests will not work)
    - MemTest-86 (runs for long time with no results
    - Daig43 (all OK except No HDD, CD-ROM or mouse)

    Any suggestion as to proving what issue is?

    BibBob5
    BibBob5, Sep 1, 2005

  2. BibBob5

    birdman Guest

    Obviously this is an old machine.
    The click can be the Hard Drive Click of Death.
    There is a school of thought that says a hard thwack on a stuck hard drive
    may get it to spin up temporarily. What do you have to lose?
    If you have a spare hard drive hook it up and see if your old beast
    recognizes it and tries to boot from it.
    birdman, Sep 2, 2005