Main folder organization questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Flycaster, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
    only the folders that I am interested in discussing:

    Desktop
    My Documents
    My Computer
    Local Disk C
    Docs and Settings
    My Documents
    My Pictures
    My Pictures

    1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
    files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
    correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
    of them?

    2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
    same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
    Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
    different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
    Settings) without causing problems?

    3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
    Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
    Is this possible? If so, how?

    Thanks,

    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Flycaster

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:08:36 -0500, in
    <>
    Flycaster scrawled:

    >XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
    >only the folders that I am interested in discussing:
    >
    >Desktop
    > My Documents
    > My Computer
    > Local Disk C
    > Docs and Settings
    > My Documents
    > My Pictures
    > My Pictures
    >
    >1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
    >files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
    >correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
    >of them?

    Yes it is correct; My Documents is a Shell Folder -- see my signature.
    No, DO NOT DELETE ONE!

    >2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
    >same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
    >Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
    >different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
    >Settings) without causing problems?

    Yes, they are two different Shell Folders. You have chosen
    the one under C: as your main folder. Do NOT delete the
    Shell Folder under My Documents.

    >3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
    >Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
    >Is this possible? If so, how?

    Use the Shell Folder under My Documents, then it's just
    one click away. Alternatively, make a shortcut that points
    directly to it, ie. in the 'Target' box of Windows Explorer,
    place:

    %windir%\explorer.exe /n,,"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My
    Pictures"

    Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:08:36 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Flycaster scrawled:
    >

    >>XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
    >>only the folders that I am interested in discussing:
    >>
    >>Desktop
    >> My Documents
    >> My Computer
    >> Local Disk C
    >> Docs and Settings
    >> My Documents
    >> My Pictures
    >> My Pictures
    >>
    >>1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
    >>files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
    >>correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
    >>of them?
    >>

    >Yes it is correct; My Documents is a Shell Folder -- see my signature.
    >No, DO NOT DELETE ONE!
    >

    >>2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
    >>same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
    >>Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
    >>different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
    >>Settings) without causing problems?
    >>

    >Yes, they are two different Shell Folders. You have chosen
    >the one under C: as your main folder. Do NOT delete the
    >Shell Folder under My Documents.
    >

    >>3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
    >>Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
    >>Is this possible? If so, how?
    >>

    >Use the Shell Folder under My Documents, then it's just
    >one click away. Alternatively, make a shortcut that points
    >directly to it, ie. in the 'Target' box of Windows Explorer,
    >place:
    >
    >%windir%\explorer.exe /n,,"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My
    >Pictures"
    >
    >Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.

    Thanks for the help.

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Flycaster

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:25:42 -0500, in
    <>
    Flycaster scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.
    >>

    >Thanks for the help.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance