    programme?

    Thanks
    David
    David, Jan 18, 2007

  2. David

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:15:23 GMT, "David" <> wrote:

    >I had a version of this about V 2 but I noticed a later version and
    >downloaded it, V 5.1.0
    >I find it not an inprovement it will not Bounce spam e-mail as the previous
    >one did.
    >I have been into Options and ticked the bounce column to be displayed but it
    >does not.
    >
    >Can I get a Free version that does bouce, or can you recomend another
    >programme?

    You don't want to bounce spam.

    The e-mail address spam appears to come from is almost never the
    address of the sender, and is often a innocent person.

    Imagine if someone sent out 50,000 spams using your e-mail address,
    and everyone who got it sent a fake bounce?
    Evan Platt, Jan 18, 2007

  3. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    David wrote:
    Subject: Mailwasher Free

    > downloaded it, V 5.1.0

    > I find it not an inprovement it will not Bounce spam e-mail as the
    > previous one did.

    Wrong. MW free is still badly configured and allows abusive bogus
    bouncing and still is full of lies about the abusive bogus bouncing of
    spam.

    > I have been into Options and ticked the bounce column to be displayed
    > but it does not.

    Good. You should completely disable any of the various places in MW
    which concern bouncing. Bouncing does not work as MW advertises. MW
    developers and promoters are greedy abusive liars as well as aiders and
    abetters to certain spamming mailing list operators who they are
    probably in cahoots with. Even the support forums for FireTrust and
    MailWasher are wise enough to know better than what the MW greedy lying
    dishonest promoters are saying.

    Abusive bogus bouncing can cause you to get in trouble with your email
    provider for abusive emailing, forgery, and contributing to your
    provider's mailservers becoming blocklisted which interferes with
    outgoing mail deliveries for the provider's customers.

    > Can I get a Free version that does bouce, or can you recomend another
    > programme?

    Hardly any upstanding and honest spam filtering or tagging program
    promotes encourages configures or even allows abusive bogus bouncing.

    Do not use any program which promotes such activity.

    ^1 http://wiki.castlecops.com/What_is_Wrong_With_Bouncing_Spam What is
    Wrong With Bouncing Spam

    ^2 http://spamlinks.net/prevent-secure-backscatter-fake.htm Fake
    Bounces Considered Harmful

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 18, 2007
  4. David

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    David wrote:
    > I had a version of this about V 2 but I noticed a later version and
    > downloaded it, V 5.1.0
    > I find it not an inprovement it will not Bounce spam e-mail as the previous
    > one did.
    > I have been into Options and ticked the bounce column to be displayed but it
    > does not.
    >
    > Can I get a Free version that does bouce, or can you recomend another
    > programme?

    Bouncing emails is worthless. I use MW too and it's a nice little
    program that allows you to delete unwanted emails at the pop3 server so
    you don't have to use your client email program to pull it to your
    machine and do it. That's what MW is good for is to delete the emails at
    the pop3 server, not letting the emails with possible malware in the
    email to reach your machine.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 19, 2007
  5. David

    PeeCee Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    >I had a version of this about V 2 but I noticed a later version and
    >downloaded it, V 5.1.0
    > I find it not an inprovement it will not Bounce spam e-mail as the
    > previous one did.
    > I have been into Options and ticked the bounce column to be displayed but
    > it does not.
    >
    > Can I get a Free version that does bouce, or can you recomend another
    > programme?
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    David

    Bouncing spam is generally agreed to be unproductive.
    Most spam has spoofed return address's so all you do is abuse some other
    poor innocent soul and add more clutter to the email channel.

    Of the facilities in Mail Washer the preview feature was the one I found the
    most usefull, but it is not available in the free version.

    As a replacement I have found the Freeware "PopMan" version 1.2 to be a
    replacement that suits my needs.
    It previews the text component of emails (ie it doesn't activate web bugs
    embeded in emails) and lets you delete direct from the server.
    Version 1.3 now in beta has a whole lot more facilities that make it highly
    likely to take over Mail washers crown, check out the beta tab at the
    download site.

    You can download it from here.
    http://www.ch-software.de/popman/

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 19, 2007
  6. David

    David Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message news:aeUrh.12898$

    > Bouncing emails is worthless. I use MW too and it's a nice little program
    > that allows you to delete unwanted emails at the pop3 server so you don't
    > have to use your client email program to pull it to your machine and do
    > it. That's what MW is good for is to delete the emails at the pop3 server,
    > not letting the emails with possible malware in the email to reach your
    > machine.

    Well it sounds as if I did myself no favours in updateing.
    I have found bouncing the unwanted items does stop them.
    Will have to see if paying for the upgrade will get the function and the
    cost.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Jan 19, 2007
  7. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    David wrote:

    > I have found bouncing the unwanted items does stop them.

    Wrong; as you would have that statement apply to 'normal' spam.

    Almost 100% of bogus bounces do not go to any 'spammers'.

    Almost 100% of bogus bounces go to the same innocent addresses who
    receive spams; that is spam From is the 'same as' spam To.

    It is a rare spam which is 'straightup' which straightup condition is
    sourced from the From and which has no bogosity in the headers. Those
    rare spams, which you cannot identify without some header understanding
    and analysis, might or might not list manage you off if the sender
    receives a bogus bounce.

    For you to state that 'bouncing spams stops them' indicates to me that
    you are most likely lying or else you are stupid. Or both.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 19, 2007
  8. David

    David Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > For you to state that 'bouncing spams stops them' indicates to me that
    > you are most likely lying or else you are stupid. Or both.

    No need to get like that.
    You have now just lost all credibility for your previous
    advice.
    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Jan 19, 2007
  9. David

    David Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message news:eopqk8$tmf$...

    > Of the facilities in Mail Washer the preview feature was the one I found
    > the most usefull, but it is not available in the free version.
    >
    > As a replacement I have found the Freeware "PopMan" version 1.2 to be a
    > replacement that suits my needs.
    > It previews the text component of emails (ie it doesn't activate web bugs
    > embeded in emails) and lets you delete direct from the server.
    > Version 1.3 now in beta has a whole lot more facilities that make it
    > highly likely to take over Mail washers crown, check out the beta tab at
    > the download site.
    >
    > You can download it from here.
    > http://www.ch-software.de/popman/

    This free version of MW does allow me to preview the messages first 20 lines
    as did the earlier version. A right click on the Subject allows this.

    I will give your recomended site a visit later today.
    Thanks

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Jan 19, 2007
  10. David

    sittingduck Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > Of the facilities in Mail Washer the preview feature was the one I found
    > the most usefull, but it is not available in the free version.

    Preview, Quick reply, Filters, lots of things to like about this gem of a
    program.
    sittingduck, Jan 19, 2007
  11. Mike Easter wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> I have found bouncing the unwanted items does stop them.

    > Wrong; as you would have that statement apply to 'normal' spam.
    >
    > Almost 100% of bogus bounces do not go to any 'spammers'.
    >
    > Almost 100% of bogus bounces go to the same innocent addresses who
    > receive spams; that is spam From is the 'same as' spam To.
    >
    > It is a rare spam which is 'straightup' which straightup condition is
    > sourced from the From and which has no bogosity in the headers. Those
    > rare spams, which you cannot identify without some header understanding
    > and analysis, might or might not list manage you off if the sender
    > receives a bogus bounce.
    >
    > For you to state that 'bouncing spams stops them' indicates to me that
    > you are most likely lying or else you are stupid. Or both.

    I haven't, and his and everyone else's advice was sound: don't bounce
    spam, as the bounces will almost always go to innocent parties or
    nowhere at all, just creating *more* wasted bandwidth.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2007
  12. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    David wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> For you to state that 'bouncing spams stops them' indicates to me
    >> that you are most likely lying or else you are stupid. Or both.
    >>

    > No need to get like that.
    > You have now just lost all credibility for your previous
    > advice.

    First, I get angry about the MW developers and promoters configuring and
    promoting their app abusively and dishonestly and dishonestly selfishly
    so as to mislead their gullible users down a garden path which is
    designed to lead to sales of MW Pro. By misleading the gullible, the
    target is to have a competitive advantage over spamfilters which are
    free and which will have nothing to do with bogus bouncing.

    http://www.spampal.org/faqengine/fa...4&catnr=19&prog=spampal&lang=en&onlynewfaq=39
    <snip>
    Is there any facility within Spampal to bounce error messages back to
    the spammers, indicating an invalid email address?

    Answer: No, SpamPal cannot create error messages or so called "bounce
    messages".

    The usual reason people like to bounce messages back to a spammer, is
    that they think a bounced message will tell the Spammer that an email
    account does not exist and their address will be removed from the
    spammer's database and therefore that they won't receive any more spam.
    </snip>

    SP then goes on to honestly tell people that bogus bouncing doesn't work
    and is harmful.

    ....whereas OTOH, MW sez:

    http://www.mailwasher.net
    // Bounce back unwanted e-mails so it looks as if your email address is
    not valid. This will make the sender think your address is no longer
    active so your name can be removed from their list. //

    That information and other MW information is designed to mislead the
    gullible user into believing that they should bogus bounce and that MW
    is the proper filter for them to use to do that. Then the gullible user
    is eventually led to buy MW Pro instead of the free SpamPal which
    doesn't have bogus bouncing.

    Then, all of these things are explained to you as well as providing you
    with extensive information at the 2 links I gave in this message

    Then you tell me that bogus bouncing works, so I become angry and
    disappointed in not just the MW developers, but also you and your
    inability to pay attention and comprehend what has been put before you,
    so then I consider that you have gone beyond gullible and into lying
    and/or stupid.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 19, 2007
  13. On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:19:37 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >First, I get angry about the MW developers and promoters configuring and
    >promoting their app abusively and dishonestly and dishonestly selfishly
    >so as to mislead their gullible users down a garden path which is
    >designed to lead to sales of MW Pro. By misleading the gullible, the
    >target is to have a competitive advantage over spamfilters which are
    >free and which will have nothing to do with bogus bouncing.

    I suspect the MW developers are embarrassed about their bounce method.
    It has never been any use and now causes serious problems. But it's
    too late to fix it and if they just removed it they would lose a lot
    of sales from people who think it serves some purpose. MW really need
    to come clean and admit they made a mistake from square one. I pointed
    out the problem when MW was first produced but very few people agreed
    with me in those days.

    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Jan 19, 2007
  14. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> First, I get angry about the MW developers and promoters configuring
    >> and promoting their app abusively and dishonestly and dishonestly
    >> selfishly so as to mislead their gullible users down a garden path
    >> which is designed to lead to sales of MW Pro. By misleading the
    >> gullible, the target is to have a competitive advantage over
    >> spamfilters which are free and which will have nothing to do with
    >> bogus bouncing.

    > I suspect the MW developers are embarrassed about their bounce method.
    > It has never been any use and now causes serious problems. But it's
    > too late to fix it and if they just removed it they would lose a lot
    > of sales from people who think it serves some purpose. MW really need
    > to come clean and admit they made a mistake from square one. I pointed
    > out the problem when MW was first produced but very few people agreed
    > with me in those days.

    I have argued publicly and loudly for a very very long time that the MW
    configuration is bad bad bad.

    The blatant misleading promotion has been going on forever, even tho'
    all MW/FireTrust support forum admins have been harping about the MW
    badness forever as well.

    Long ago I suggested that the default configuration should be *NO* bogus
    bouncing, so that MW doesn't come that way out of the box, instead of
    the gullible/foolish/misguided user automatically using bogus bouncing.
    There are also several different places that bogus bouncing needs
    deconfiguring.

    There could /possibly/ be some very unusual, nonspam reason to employ
    bogus bouncing non-abusively. So, I proposed a solution to that.

    The solution would be that MW comes out of the box with bogus bouncing
    disabled, and that such bogus potentially abusive bouncing could only be
    enabled with a 'key' which would be obtained from the MW developers.

    In order for a user to get the MW key to enable bogus bouncing, they
    would have to sign a form indicating their understanding of the
    potential harmfulness of a misdirected bogus bounce, and the form would
    also have been signed off by their provider, which provider has
    authorized the user to use the provider's role accounts, such as
    postmaster or whatever [which signature would be near impossible for a
    user to get, so that takes care of that] but possibly would enable
    someone with their own domainname to be using the bogus bounce function.

    Many legitimate mailing lists are designed to have autofunctions to
    remove listeds whose mail is bouncing. However, if you want to be
    removed from a legitimate mailing list to which you have subbed, then
    you should use the normal unsub function, not MW's bogus bounce.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 19, 2007
  15. David

    David Guest

    David, Jan 19, 2007
  16. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    David wrote:

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/index.cfm?categoryID=1447&itemID=20000

    "Have you ever wished that you could return spam to its sender and fool
    them into thinking that your e-mail address is not valid? MailWasher
    lets you do just that. [...] In the check boxes, you select whether to
    Delete or Bounce messages,"

    Millions and millions and millions of foolish gullible users are
    listening to MW downlaod and configuration recommendations.

    http://www.mailwasher.net "Join 7 million other people who use the
    award winning MailWasher to combat spam."

    Some very very large subset of those 7 million are abusively
    backscattering.

    MW and its developers are evil and intentionally abusive for their own
    selfish gains, miguiding their ignorant user masses.

    Excepting of course those users who deconfigure the bad MW bogus
    bounces.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 19, 2007
  17. "David" <> wrote in

    > I had a version of this about V 2 but I noticed a later version and
    > downloaded it, V 5.1.0
    > I find it not an inprovement it will not Bounce spam e-mail as the
    > previous one did.
    > I have been into Options and ticked the bounce column to be displayed
    > but it does not.
    >
    > Can I get a Free version that does bouce, or can you recomend another
    > programme?
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    Just save up your milk-money and buy the pay-fer version. It's like way
    less than I tip my bartender... I've used it for years. Since the
    freeware days, and then I got the discount-deal when they went all make-
    money-ware on us. Anyway, I like it and it works just *great*! I only
    bounce from my ISP and POP mail accounts, and it has always worked really
    good. Worth the few bucks, especially when you divide the cost by the
    number of hours it saves me, and then again by the number of years I've
    used it with very good results.

    Bounce at ya, ya phreeking SPAMMER's! In yer face SPAMenators! Ka-pow!
    Catch this bounce, ya SPAMeisters! Yeah, man, it's loads of fun too. Why,
    I hear tell it's crashed entire SPAM servers... That's right, SPAM-scum
    and SPAM-symphathizers, and yer SPAM-mommies too, I'm coming after your
    whole network with my MW Pro v5.3 bounce! Be *afraid*! Be *very* afraid!

    Guess they'll just have to enjoy some cold turkey now, ehhh?

    --

    A man doesn't automatically get my respect!
    (He has to get down on his knees in the dirt and beg for it.)

    Maybe it does take a big man to cry;
    but, it takes a much bigger man - to laugh at that cry-baby.
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 19, 2007
  18. David

    Jarhead Guest

    | David wrote:

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/index.cfm?categoryID=1447&itemID=20000

    | "Have you ever wished that you could return spam to its sender and
    fool
    | them into thinking that your e-mail address is not valid? MailWasher
    | lets you do just that. [...] In the check boxes, you select whether to
    | Delete or Bounce messages,"
    |
    | Millions and millions and millions of foolish gullible users are
    | listening to MW downlaod and configuration recommendations.
    |
    | http://www.mailwasher.net "Join 7 million other people who use the
    | award winning MailWasher to combat spam."
    |
    | Some very very large subset of those 7 million are abusively
    | backscattering.
    |
    | MW and its developers are evil and intentionally abusive for their own
    | selfish gains, miguiding their ignorant user masses.
    |
    | Excepting of course those users who deconfigure the bad MW bogus
    | bounces.
    |

    | --
    | Mike Easter

    Been monitoring your posts and agree with you that in general bouncing
    is not a good thing. However, I started using MW when it was beta, made
    a donation, and was rewarded with MW Pro when it was released. I have
    used the bounce feature to rid myself of unwanted pests and, when I
    list. In both cases the bounce was to a valid address.

    --
    Jarhead

    Jarhead, Jan 19, 2007
  19. David

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jarhead wrote:

    > have used the bounce feature to rid myself of unwanted pests and,
    > when I unsubscribed from a site several times and was never taken off
    > of the list. In both cases the bounce was to a valid address.

    Judicious usage of bogus bouncing, which judicious usage is /not/
    misdirected is a 'reasonable' trick.

    However, realize that reasonable tricks can backfire. [He who tricks
    last, tricks best, or vice versa.]

    A recipient of a bogus bounce can 'dissect' the bogus bounce and
    determine both the sender's IP and the fact that the bounce is bogus and
    therefore a forgery of the MW user's mail provider's role address.

    That bogus bounce recipient can notify and complain to the MW user's
    mail provider about such role forgery. This complaint most often
    happens in response to an abusive misdirected bogus bounce, which
    combination of abuse and forgery can cause the provider to /make/ the MW
    user stop doing that or it can actually endanger the abusive bogus
    bouncer's mail account.

    I think your described 'judcious' usage which isn't abusive /shouldn't/
    be problematic, but theoretically it could be on the basis of the
    forgery aspect. Some providers and abuse desks take forgery very very
    seriously. There are many news providers who will allow absolute mayhem
    in their client's news postings, but if a poster ever forges an
    identity, their account is dead.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 19, 2007