    My HDD on that machine has a gig to spare so
    solution + spam fighting + pop for lan only
    TIA

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 26, 2005

  2. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:44:49 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody) behind a
    > firewall, but will accept mail from the inet (via dyndns)
    > My HDD on that machine has a gig to spare so
    > solution + spam fighting + pop for lan only
    > TIA

    Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters
    local delivery via procmail to
    courier pop3/imap/webmail interface

    Works great for me :)

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Shane (aka froggy)

    David Preece Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody)

    It ships with Exim, nothing wrong with it.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody)

    > It ships with Exim, nothing wrong with it.

    Except that is is version 3 and not supported by the author.
    (Though he did help me out with a problem that I had).

    Exim4/AmavisNG/ClamAV/Spamassassin works for me.

    I pop my mail off my ISP's server using fetchmail and use
    Courier/SquirrelMail for mail access on the server.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:44:49 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody) behind a
    >> firewall, but will accept mail from the inet (via dyndns)
    >> My HDD on that machine has a gig to spare so
    >> solution + spam fighting + pop for lan only
    >> TIA

    >Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    do it again.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2005
  6. On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:44:49 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody) behind a
    >>> firewall, but will accept mail from the inet (via dyndns)
    >>> My HDD on that machine has a gig to spare so
    >>> solution + spam fighting + pop for lan only
    >>> TIA

    >>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    > I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    > do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    > done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    > do it again.

    As soon as couple of replys came in with one combination or other I
    realised that I should have asked what are the possibilities, and then
    experimented with them all to see which I found best for me ( advice to
    that effect I have doled out often enough)
    Currently I am experimenting with exim (purely because google threw me an
    exim related 'how to' first up)
    Thanks to everyone who replied

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 26, 2005
  7. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    > I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    > do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    > done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    > do it again.

    Sendmail is the original and the best. You can do anything you want with
    it. You may just have to learn a bit more before you can do it, though.

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 26, 2005
  8. On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:25:25 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > David Preece wrote:
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody)

    >> It ships with Exim, nothing wrong with it.
    >>

    > Except that is is version 3 and not supported by the author.
    > (Though he did help me out with a problem that I had).
    >
    > Exim4/AmavisNG/ClamAV/Spamassassin works for me.
    >
    > I pop my mail off my ISP's server using fetchmail and use
    > Courier/SquirrelMail for mail access on the server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    this link describes how your combination has been setup?
    (I post it for later reference by myself and any interested onlookers)
    http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/how-to/Exim/

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 26, 2005
  9. Shane (aka froggy)

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:44:49 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for a mx for my lan (running on debian woody) behind a
    >>> firewall, but will accept mail from the inet (via dyndns)
    >>> My HDD on that machine has a gig to spare so
    >>> solution + spam fighting + pop for lan only
    >>> TIA

    >>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    > I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    > do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    > done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    > do it again.

    Yes I'd agree that sendmail can be a real bitch.

    I now know it and love it, but I had a few years banging my head against
    it when I ran an ISP in the mid 90s.

    The young un's are all keen on Exim these days.

    For spam I use spam assassin.
    I'm using cyrus for pop and imap.

    ChrisOD, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >> Steve <> wrote:

    >>>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    >>I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    >>do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    >>done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    >>do it again.

    > As soon as couple of replys came in with one combination or other I
    > realised that I should have asked what are the possibilities, and then
    > experimented with them all to see which I found best for me ( advice to
    > that effect I have doled out often enough)
    > Currently I am experimenting with exim (purely because google threw me an
    > exim related 'how to' first up)
    > Thanks to everyone who replied

    Exim 3 which comes with most Debian setups is out of date
    and not supported, so I'd recommend upgrading to Exim 4.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    >>I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    >>do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    >>done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    >>do it again.

    > Sendmail is the original and the best. You can do anything you want with
    > it. You may just have to learn a bit more before you can do it, though.
    > Nobody said the best was easy :)

    Sendmail has an esoteric syntax and adds an extra layer of
    obfuscation to an already confusing process. Best? Best for
    what?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Steve <> wrote:

    >>>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    >>I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    >>do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    >>done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    >>do it again.

    > Yes I'd agree that sendmail can be a real bitch.
    >
    > I now know it and love it, but I had a few years banging my head against
    > it when I ran an ISP in the mid 90s.
    >
    > The young un's are all keen on Exim these days.

    "The young un's?" Gee thanks, Dad!!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:25:25 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >

    >>David Preece wrote:

    >>>It ships with Exim, nothing wrong with it.
    >>>

    >>Except that is is version 3 and not supported by the author.
    >>(Though he did help me out with a problem that I had).
    >>
    >>Exim4/AmavisNG/ClamAV/Spamassassin works for me.
    >>
    >>I pop my mail off my ISP's server using fetchmail and use
    >>Courier/SquirrelMail for mail access on the server.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff

    > this link describes how your combination has been setup?
    > (I post it for later reference by myself and any interested onlookers)
    > http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/how-to/Exim/

    That link doesn't work for me at the moment, but as I
    recall, I found several references around the net, which I
    sort "Picked and mixed".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2005
  14. Shane (aka froggy)

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <4245eadd$>, Enkidu wrote:
    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >> In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    >>>do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    >>>done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    >>>do it again.

    >> Yes I'd agree that sendmail can be a real bitch.
    >>
    >> I now know it and love it, but I had a few years banging my head against
    >> it when I ran an ISP in the mid 90s.
    >>
    >> The young un's are all keen on Exim these days.
    >>

    > "The young un's?" Gee thanks, Dad!!

    Yeah, yeah, I knew I'd get a bite. More the people new to mailservers.
    Some people like steve and myself have been setting up mailservers, for
    ages and are quite happy with sendmail.

    Yes there are better mailservers that do as much as sendmail. But
    nostalgia.....

    ChrisOD, Mar 26, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>>Sendmail+mailwasher+ordb+clam_av milters

    >> I'd recommend Postfix instead of Sendmail. After configuring Sendmail to
    >> do something, I never had any confidence that I understood what I'd
    >> done, or could do it again. With Postfix, I both understood and I could
    >> do it again.

    >Sendmail is the original and the best. You can do anything you want with
    >it. You may just have to learn a bit more before you can do it, though.
    >Nobody said the best was easy :)

    Sendmail was the first MTA I learned about. I even have the Sendmail
    book! I managed it for a few years before giving up and moving to
    Postfix.

    You can do anything you want with Postfix. The configuration system is
    so much easier to understand. The distribution comes with copious
    examples and documentation, as well as tools for testing out
    configuration options. And having figured out how to do something, you
    can see how it fits into the overall design of Postfix, and you have the
    confidence to do it again.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2005
  16. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:44:38 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Steve <> wrote:

    > You can do anything you want with Postfix. The configuration system is

    [snip]

    but does it offer milters?
    Steve, Mar 27, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:44:38 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Steve <> wrote:

    >> You can do anything you want with Postfix. The configuration system is

    >[snip]
    >
    >but does it offer milters?

    I don't know what those are, but interfacing it to SpamAssassin was a
    5-minute job.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2005
  18. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > You can do anything you want with Postfix. The configuration system is
    > so much easier to understand. The distribution comes with copious
    > examples and documentation, as well as tools for testing out
    > configuration options. And having figured out how to do something, you
    > can see how it fits into the overall design of Postfix, and you have the
    > confidence to do it again.

    Yep, Postfix would be my vote.

    Postfix has an excellent design for security - all modular where most
    bits run unprivileged, and each bit doesn't implicitly trust input from
    the other bits.

    And it's straight forward to understand too.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 27, 2005