mailserver or webhosting service

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dennis, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. dennis

    dennis Guest

    Hello all,
    Not sure if this is the correct group to ask this question but maybe someone
    could either answer my question or tell me which group to ask.

    I will most likely be assisting a local volunteer fire department in the
    next several months setting up their network in my small town. The pc
    setups and network configuration (dsl) will be fairly straight forward and
    don't envision any problems. My quandry is about them purchasing their own
    exchange server or using a webhosting service provider.

    This fire department consists of a 1/2 time fire chief and a full time
    secretary with 30 volunteer firemen.

    I am currently leaning towards using a webhosting service that will provide
    the 32 mailboxes and realize they would have to get a domain name
    established initially prior to setting this up. My thoughts are a mail
    server is quite expensive along with all the client licenses. A webhosting
    service could provide the needed email addresses (including pop) for about
    50-60 dollars/mo which includes webspace and a secure repository to share
    documents. About the only advantage I see with the exchange server would be
    the additional benefit of a calendar manager, however, some of the service
    providers I've talked to indicated they could supply some calendaring
    options for an additional nominal charge.

    Any thoughts, ideas, comments?
    Thanks for any help.
    Dennis Meissner
    dennis, Dec 4, 2003