    thats only the start)

    Cheers

    Gay
    brazen, Jun 26, 2006

  2. brazen

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:33:55 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    > very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel or
    > database.

    have you looked at:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jun 26, 2006

  3. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:33:55 +1200, brazen wrote:
    >
    >> I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    >> very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel
    >> or
    >> database.

    > have you looked at:
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

    Thanks but not my kind of thing, I'm after a tried and trusted software
    package that I can install and send emails out - no time to fart around
    configuring etc

    Thanks anyway

    Gay
    brazen, Jun 26, 2006
  4. brazen

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > no time to fart around
    > configuring etc

    I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    than software that does what you want it to do.

    If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    all the email addresses into it.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jun 26, 2006
  5. brazen

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <449f945c$>,
    says...
    > "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:33:55 +1200, brazen wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    > >> very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel
    > >> or
    > >> database.

    > > have you looked at:
    > >
    > > http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
    > >

    > Thanks but not my kind of thing, I'm after a tried and trusted software
    > package that I can install and send emails out - no time to fart around
    > configuring etc

    MSDE (now SQL Server Express) or SQL Server, a wee bit of SQL and it's
    working. How difficult is that?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 26, 2006
  6. T'was the Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:02:38 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    <> saying something like this:

    >I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    >than software that does what you want it to do.

    Like a programming language.

    >If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    >all the email addresses into it.

    I believe some email servers such as Orcon limit the amount of CC's.
    You could always set up your own mail server I guess.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jun 26, 2006
  7. brazen

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:02:38 +1200, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:
    >
    >> no time to fart around
    >> configuring etc

    > I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    > than software that does what you want it to do.
    >
    > If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    > all the email addresses into it.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    BCC, please!
    Steve, Jun 26, 2006
  8. brazen

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:17:25 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:02:38 +1200, MaHogany wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:
    >>
    >>> no time to fart around
    >>> configuring etc

    >> I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    >> than software that does what you want it to do.
    >>
    >> If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    >> all the email addresses into it.
    >>

    >> Ma Hogany

    > BCC, please!

    Heh heh.

    Of course! :eek:)

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jun 26, 2006
  9. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <449f945c$>,
    > says...
    >> "MaHogany" <> wrote in message

    >> > have you looked at:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
    >> >

    >> Thanks but not my kind of thing, I'm after a tried and trusted software
    >> package that I can install and send emails out - no time to fart around
    >> configuring etc

    > MSDE (now SQL Server Express) or SQL Server, a wee bit of SQL and it's
    > working. How difficult is that?

    compared to using a package like GroupMail? 1000 x harder.

    Anyone know of any NZ s/w packages?

    Gay
    brazen, Jun 26, 2006
  10. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:
    >
    >> no time to fart around
    >> configuring etc

    > I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    > than software that does what you want it to do.

    No I want software whereby I can edit email content and send it to an
    imported list. Software that is quick and easy to get going and staff can
    easily administer. Groupmail Free takes a couple of minutes before it is up
    and running. IME this open source type of s/w takes a whole lot longer, then
    there's patches for the security issues etc etc that always happens. Fine if
    you have lots of time to waste on it, but I dont. I want a business-ready,
    proven product.

    > If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    > all the email addresses into it.

    Because I have 2000 email addresses in a spreadsheet. Next month there will
    be double. No problem with an email client when its 250 (as there was last
    month) but this month it is considerably different. Even last time I had
    problems last time with the amount of xtra addresses in the bcc - too many
    so half got bounced, so I had to sort out which got bounced and which got
    through. A job that would take 2 minutes with dedicated, proven business
    software took me half a day. I havent got time to bugger around.

    So thanks, but I'm after business s/w

    gay
    brazen, Jun 26, 2006
  11. brazen

    Shank Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    > very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel or
    > database.

    http://www.maxprog.com/MaxBulk.html

    Haven't tried it myself, but the blurb makes it look good.

    Rob
    Shank, Jun 26, 2006
  12. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    > very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel or
    > database.
    >
    > Has anyone out there used GroupMail Business Edition? The don't seem to
    > have a trial version. Or have any other mailing list s/w recommendations?
    > It needs to be able to handle a very large mailing list (2K at present but
    > thats only the start)

    Or a NZ online email marketing service that doesnt charge an arm and a leg?

    gay
    brazen, Jun 27, 2006
  13. brazen

    Shane Guest

    brazen wrote:

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    >> very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel
    >> or database.
    >>
    >> Has anyone out there used GroupMail Business Edition? The don't seem to
    >> have a trial version. Or have any other mailing list s/w recommendations?
    >> It needs to be able to handle a very large mailing list (2K at present
    >> but thats only the start)
    >>

    > Or a NZ online email marketing service that doesnt charge an arm and a
    > leg?
    >
    > gay

    I think your options are
    1) mailman from a *nix box (pay for an admin to set it up)
    2) Google for a bulkmailer that will run on (Im presuming windows)
    3) Pay for someone else to do it

    There are solutions in each category, but money and skillset tend to be
    requirements one way or another

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Jun 27, 2006
  14. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >
    >> "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I have used Group Mail freeware before (www.infacta.com) and it has been
    >>> very good, but now I need some mailing list s/w that imports from Excel
    >>> or database.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone out there used GroupMail Business Edition? The don't seem to
    >>> have a trial version. Or have any other mailing list s/w
    >>> recommendations?
    >>> It needs to be able to handle a very large mailing list (2K at present
    >>> but thats only the start)
    >>>

    >> Or a NZ online email marketing service that doesnt charge an arm and a
    >> leg?
    >>
    >> gay

    > I think your options are
    > 1) mailman from a *nix box (pay for an admin to set it up)
    > 2) Google for a bulkmailer that will run on (Im presuming windows)
    > 3) Pay for someone else to do it

    ?

    I have Googled, there are quite a range of s/w packages but I'm asking if
    anyone has had any experience of them that they would recommend.

    Same with online services - there are a few about but I dont want to pay
    someone for designing a template that will take me 10 minutes to do, nor do
    I want to pay $150 per month (after the $400 setup) to send a piddling 5000
    emails. If someone can recommend a service that isnt a rip-off then I'd love
    to hear it. Or a "stay away from" experience too.

    gay
    brazen, Jun 27, 2006
  15. brazen

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <44a05332$>,
    says...
    > "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:
    > >
    > >> no time to fart around
    > >> configuring etc

    > > I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    > > than software that does what you want it to do.

    > No I want software whereby I can edit email content and send it to an
    > imported list. Software that is quick and easy to get going and staff can
    > easily administer. Groupmail Free takes a couple of minutes before it is up
    > and running. IME this open source type of s/w takes a whole lot longer, then
    > there's patches for the security issues etc etc that always happens. Fine if
    > you have lots of time to waste on it, but I dont. I want a business-ready,
    > proven product.
    >

    > > If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    > > all the email addresses into it.
    > >

    > Because I have 2000 email addresses in a spreadsheet. Next month there will
    > be double. No problem with an email client when its 250 (as there was last
    > month) but this month it is considerably different. Even last time I had
    > problems last time with the amount of xtra addresses in the bcc - too many
    > so half got bounced, so I had to sort out which got bounced and which got
    > through. A job that would take 2 minutes with dedicated, proven business
    > software took me half a day. I havent got time to bugger around.
    >
    > So thanks, but I'm after business s/w

    You will find it very hard to do what you want. For starters, many
    email servers will reject emails sent to more than x recipients (often
    as low as 60-100) - I wonder how many bounces you already get.

    (By the sounds of it, you've already discovered that)

    The *correct* way is to send out individual emails.

    So why not start there - as a requirement. Otherwise, I think you're
    pissing in the wind these days.

    It sounds incredibly simple to do without any off the shelf package - as
    I've said.
    You have:
    * an Excel SS
    * email text or html

    You can simply run a stored procedure that pulls that SS as email addys,
    hooks the text or html file, and sends out 'til complete (one per
    person).

    Actually I have something here, but could be old now...
    [CaptorGroup]
    blank1=http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870675
    blank2=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311231
    &sd=tech
    blank3=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304967/
    blank4=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312839
    &sd=tech

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 27, 2006
  16. brazen

    EMB Guest

    brazen wrote:

    > Same with online services - there are a few about but I dont want to pay
    > someone for designing a template that will take me 10 minutes to do, nor do
    > I want to pay $150 per month (after the $400 setup) to send a piddling 5000
    > emails. If someone can recommend a service that isnt a rip-off then I'd love
    > to hear it.

    This is business email, for commercial gain. $150 for 5000 emails is
    only 3c each which is cheap business communication. It might be time
    for a paradigm shift about what is "cheap" vs what is realistic.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jun 27, 2006
  17. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > brazen wrote:
    >
    >> Same with online services - there are a few about but I dont want to pay
    >> someone for designing a template that will take me 10 minutes to do, nor
    >> do I want to pay $150 per month (after the $400 setup) to send a piddling
    >> 5000 emails. If someone can recommend a service that isnt a rip-off then
    >> I'd love to hear it.

    > This is business email, for commercial gain. $150 for 5000 emails is only
    > 3c each which is cheap business communication. It might be time for a
    > paradigm shift about what is "cheap" vs what is realistic.

    It varies a lot - I've had quotes of $30 per month to $150, and looking at
    what is on offer from both of those 2 (for example) the cheaper one looks
    better, as well as a better deal financially.

    3c doenst sound a lot, but when you are peddling a low margin item, and 95%
    of the recipients dont pay you a penny, it cuts in quite a lot.

    But if there is a better package out there I'd love to hear about it.
    brazen, Jun 27, 2006
  18. brazen

    thingy Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:39:13 +1200, brazen wrote:
    >

    >>no time to fart around
    >>configuring etc

    > I see - you want software that tells you what you can or can't do, rather
    > than software that does what you want it to do.
    >
    > If that's the case then why don't you simply use an email client and CC
    > all the email addresses into it.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    hmmmm.....so IQ and attention span of a typical spammer....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 27, 2006
  19. brazen

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:26:14 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > So thanks, but I'm after business s/w

    Sounds like you want MajorDomo, or Mailman - that is, if you want to
    produce an email list.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?