    ~!@#$%^&*()(_+

    Lisa: Oedipus is the one who killed his father and married his mother
    Homer: Argh! who paid for that wedding?
    Waylon Smithers.., Aug 1, 2004

  2. In article <ceha2i$4fv$>,
    . says...
    > A couple of emails have now come back with "mailer error 255" on a
    > newsletter sent out to subscribers, something not seen before. The
    > newsletter is sent as a html or plain text (as per subscriber choice), via
    > GLock EasyMail.
    >
    > A google search hasn't helped too much - does anyone have any ideas ? It's
    > kinda odd, as these returns haven't happened before.

    If the message is not actually generated by your mailer, it must be a
    server message?

    Otherwise maybe it is generated by a virus? Some of them generate fake
    return messagews these days.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 1, 2004

  3. > If the message is not actually generated by your mailer, it must be a
    > server message?

    Yes, it is a server message and the newsletter is returned undelivered to
    the recipient.

    I'm curious what the 255 means & why it happens. It has only happened for
    this 1st time this weekend (after nearly 6 years of sending newsletters
    out).

    ~!@#$%^&*()(_+

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Aug 1, 2004
  4. Waylon Smithers..

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2004
  5. > Try feeding Mail error 255 into Google. ;-)

    Yeah I originally did, and was suprised at the number of pre-2000 references
    to it.

    I was kinda hoping someone with an overheating brain could explain it in 2
    sentences !

    ~!@#$%^&*()(_+

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Aug 1, 2004
  6. Waylon Smithers..

    Harry Guest

    ...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:

    >> Try feeding Mail error 255 into Google. ;-)

    > Yeah I originally did, and was suprised at the number of pre-2000
    > references to it.
    >
    > I was kinda hoping someone with an overheating brain could explain it in 2
    > sentences !

    Try googling for: smtp "error 255"
    and you will get more relevant answer.

    It means "unknown mailer" I think.

    You need to check your configuration.
    Check your log files for clues also.
    Are you sure you haven't renamed/edited some important file somewhere?
    Harry, Aug 1, 2004
  7. > Try googling for: smtp "error 255"
    > and you will get more relevant answer.
    >
    > It means "unknown mailer" I think.
    >
    > You need to check your configuration.
    > Check your log files for clues also.
    > Are you sure you haven't renamed/edited some important file somewhere?

    Hmm, very odd. But thanks for the info.

    Curiously the emails that came back with this error code were sent to
    subscribers with
    hyper.net.nz , value.net.nz , cervina.co.nz

    But only these accounts, not the 1,500 odd other subscribers . . .

    Must've been because of the full moon then !
    ..Waylon Smithers.., Aug 1, 2004
  8. ...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:
    > But only these accounts, not the 1,500 odd other subscribers . . .

    they may have been using some anti-spam stuff at their end.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 1, 2004