    The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
    in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).

    Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Gib Bogle, Oct 23, 2013

  2. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:03:31 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
    > change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
    > folder.

    Just to confirm -- that is the Trash folder, and not the Junk mail folder?

    > This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
    > something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
    > The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
    > in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).

    No other filters at email account level?
    See "Tools >> Message Filters" and set the "Filters for:" drop-down to
    the email account, not the folder.

    Thunderbird also has an adaptive junk filter, which you won't find at
    "Tools >> Message Filters". See
    <https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-junk-spam-messages>,
    including the part "Tell Thunderbird what is NOT junk" near the bottom.

    > Has anyone else seen this problem?

    I'm not seeing it with my email. But then again I use IMAP not POP, and
    Thunderbird ESR for email.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Oct 24, 2013

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 25/10/2013 7:19 a.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 24/10/2013 9:03 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
    >> change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
    >> folder. This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
    >> something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
    >> The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
    >> in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).
    >>
    >> Has anyone else seen this problem?

    > I haven't seen that problem, but it'll be your filter causing the issue
    > - 'helo' in the Received-SPF field is expected for mail regardless of
    > its legitimacy.

    Really? The bizarre thing is that the problem just started with the
    upgrade, but I can't even remember creating that filter - it was
    obviously a long time ago. Anyway I disabled the filter and now the
    mail gets delivered.
    Gib Bogle, Oct 25, 2013
  4. In article <l4efhj$tr1$>,
    says...

    > On 25/10/2013 7:19 a.m., EMB wrote:
    > > On 24/10/2013 9:03 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > >> I finally relented and upgraded Mozilla Thunderbird to 24.0.1. The only
    > >> change I notice is that now all my incoming mail goes to the Trash
    > >> folder. This is approximately correct, but there is occasionally
    > >> something I'd like to read. Looking online I see stuff about filters.
    > >> The only filter I have on Inbox is "Chinese spam" which looks for "helo"
    > >> in Received-SPF (I can't recall when or why I created that).
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone else seen this problem?

    > > I haven't seen that problem, but it'll be your filter causing the issue
    > > - 'helo' in the Received-SPF field is expected for mail regardless of
    > > its legitimacy.
    > >

    > Really? The bizarre thing is that the problem just started with the
    > upgrade, but I can't even remember creating that filter - it was
    > obviously a long time ago. Anyway I disabled the filter and now the
    > mail gets delivered.

    'helo' string is part of the pop3 handshaking between server and client
    (or possibly SMTP handshaking, I'm not going to check that out right
    now) - I would hazard a guess that the new mozilla has been changed to
    look at ALL header content and not just the subject line, with the
    result you describe.

    -P.

    ---
    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2013