    install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

    - Allan
    Canada
    Allan, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Allan

    Liz Guest

    My brother use this.
    http://www.workgroupmail.com/

    "Allan" wrote

    Liz, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Allan

    Richard Guest

    Allan wrote:

    > I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run
    > a mail
    > server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of
    > time to
    > play with this.

    > Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?

    > I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
    > postfix)
    > and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that I need
    > install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

    > - Allan
    > Canada

    Home based servers are not typically the type of thing to use online.
    Specially if you're on dialup.
    Many ISP's don't allow this to happen and you should first contact them and
    ask what their policy is on this matter.
    What you should do is just find yourself a cheap host that has unlimited
    mailboxes.
    This means you can set up any name you want and use it as YOUR mail.
    such as or hello58927fkcl3##@foobar.com
    I have my own domain with unlimited mailboxes and I use different prefixes
    for various purposes.
    So if I get spam at that address, I know where it came from.
    Also find a host who has a good spam filter.
    For starters, you should check out www.hostforweb.com They are quite good
    and tech support replies to email.
    Richard, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Allan

    joe Guest

    In the shower, Allan sang:
    > I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run
    > a mail server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have
    > LOTS of time to play with this.
    >
    > Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
    >
    > I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
    > postfix) and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me
    > that I need to install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?
    >
    > - Allan
    > Canada

    If you're looking for FREE email and internet, go to
    http://my.netzero.net/s/signup
    it is free.
    joe, Oct 15, 2003

  5. > I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run a
    > mail server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of
    > time to play with this.
    >
    > Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
    >
    > I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
    > postfix) and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that
    > I need to install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

    Mercury Mail
    Http://www.pmail.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    What, nobody likes Exchange Server?

    I haven't tried it out yet, but I have a licenced copy. Has anyone compared:

    1. Mercury Mail Http://www.pmail.com
    2. Exchange
    3. http://www.workgroupmail.com/

    ?

    Allan, Oct 16, 2003
  7. > What, nobody likes Exchange Server?

    > I haven't tried it out yet, but I have a licenced copy. Has anyone
    > compared:

    > 1. Mercury Mail Http://www.pmail.com
    > 2. Exchange
    > 3. http://www.workgroupmail.com/

    * Mercury is Free
    * Is not a system hog
    * Is not Microsoft

    I use and recommend... But if you have a licenced copy of exchange why don't
    you use it... (though it is a hog)

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Oct 16, 2003