Mail Server Software and setup advice needed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jeremy, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi

    I need some advice on setup and software for running a mail server
    Here's what I need it to do

    Host running Win Xp (can't change this)

    Download mail from multiple acc's ie, hotmail, gmail, pop3
    Act as a reciever for mail from a domain I would like to setup
    i.e and so on
    Screen spam into a quarintine folder,
    have some email acc's accessible from 2 computers,

    Reasons for this is our business which has been running from pop3 accs
    off of dial up, Soon we will be able to recieve adsl. So I would like
    to setup domain in our business name and recieve all its mail and our
    other personal acc's and serve them to the respective computers,

    Any helpful advice would be great

    Thanks

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need some advice on setup and software for running a mail server
    > Here's what I need it to do
    >
    > Host running Win Xp (can't change this)
    >
    > Download mail from multiple acc's ie, hotmail, gmail, pop3
    > Act as a reciever for mail from a domain I would like to setup
    > i.e and so on
    > Screen spam into a quarintine folder,
    > have some email acc's accessible from 2 computers,
    >
    > Reasons for this is our business which has been running from pop3 accs
    > off of dial up, Soon we will be able to recieve adsl. So I would like
    > to setup domain in our business name and recieve all its mail and our
    > other personal acc's and serve them to the respective computers,
    >
    > Any helpful advice would be great
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jeremy

    Further to this who would be recommended to in Nz or Usa for registering
    and hosting my domain, I'am not sure if I want a .co.nz address or a
    ..com (would one get more spam than the other), Looking at hosting a 10mb
    max web page, with up 2 10 email address's from it.

    Thanks

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Jeremy

    Philip Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Jeremy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I need some advice on setup and software for running a mail server
    >> Here's what I need it to do
    >>
    >> Host running Win Xp (can't change this)
    >>
    >> Download mail from multiple acc's ie, hotmail, gmail, pop3
    >> Act as a reciever for mail from a domain I would like to setup
    >> i.e and so on
    >> Screen spam into a quarintine folder,
    >> have some email acc's accessible from 2 computers,
    >>
    >> Reasons for this is our business which has been running from pop3 accs
    >> off of dial up, Soon we will be able to recieve adsl. So I would like
    >> to setup domain in our business name and recieve all its mail and our
    >> other personal acc's and serve them to the respective computers,
    >>
    >> Any helpful advice would be great
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jeremy

    > Further to this who would be recommended to in Nz or Usa for registering
    > and hosting my domain, I'am not sure if I want a .co.nz address or a
    > .com (would one get more spam than the other), Looking at hosting a 10mb
    > max web page, with up 2 10 email address's from it.

    I use Thunderbird, which seems well capabale of dealing with IMAP or
    POP3 hosts, wherever and whatevervthey are. I used it on dial-up before
    I had ADSL - it makes no matter.

    It's free, open source, and you can download it at mozilla.org.

    I've had nothing but good experience with kiwi web hosting at
    http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/.

    They're not expensive and they respond fast to questions. Recommended.

    Don't think it matters any more if you are .com or .co.nz. the .co.nz
    ones are overpriced, and you can get .coms much much cheaper with loger
    renewal periods. Also .net and .org.

    Most Internet stuff in NZ seems overpriced - there is possibly a reason
    for this, and I bet it has something to do with tradition, and something
    else to do with Telecom.

    there is no reason that I have ever seen why anyone would charge out a
    ..co.nz domain at more than $2/year except that they can.

    irritating that. Imagine if the post office charged for your address.

    Philip

    Philip, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Jeremy wrote:
    >
    >> Jeremy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I need some advice on setup and software for running a mail server
    >>> Here's what I need it to do
    >>>
    >>> Host running Win Xp (can't change this)
    >>>
    >>> Download mail from multiple acc's ie, hotmail, gmail, pop3
    >>> Act as a reciever for mail from a domain I would like to setup
    >>> i.e and so on
    >>> Screen spam into a quarintine folder,
    >>> have some email acc's accessible from 2 computers,
    >>>
    >>> Reasons for this is our business which has been running from pop3
    >>> accs off of dial up, Soon we will be able to recieve adsl. So I
    >>> would like to setup domain in our business name and recieve all its
    >>> mail and our other personal acc's and serve them to the respective
    >>> computers,
    >>>
    >>> Any helpful advice would be great
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jeremy

    >> Further to this who would be recommended to in Nz or Usa for
    >> registering and hosting my domain, I'am not sure if I want a .co.nz
    >> address or a .com (would one get more spam than the other), Looking at
    >> hosting a 10mb max web page, with up 2 10 email address's from it.
    >>

    > I use Thunderbird, which seems well capabale of dealing with IMAP or
    > POP3 hosts, wherever and whatevervthey are. I used it on dial-up before
    > I had ADSL - it makes no matter.
    >
    > It's free, open source, and you can download it at mozilla.org.
    >
    > I've had nothing but good experience with kiwi web hosting at
    > http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/.
    >
    > They're not expensive and they respond fast to questions. Recommended.
    >
    > Don't think it matters any more if you are .com or .co.nz. the .co.nz
    > ones are overpriced, and you can get .coms much much cheaper with loger
    > renewal periods. Also .net and .org.
    >
    > Most Internet stuff in NZ seems overpriced - there is possibly a reason
    > for this, and I bet it has something to do with tradition, and something
    > else to do with Telecom.
    >
    > there is no reason that I have ever seen why anyone would charge out a
    > .co.nz domain at more than $2/year except that they can.
    >
    > irritating that. Imagine if the post office charged for your address.
    >
    > Philip

    Thanks Philip,

    at a glance kiwiwebhost looks perfect for my needs,

    Jeremy, Jul 12, 2005