    home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    Windows based (so there goes the free option).
    XPD, Apr 19, 2005

  2. XPD

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:01:15 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    out of curiousity is this like IIS on a windows cd? (add/remove packages
    etc etc etc)
    after seeing in the earlier thread about this I am suddenly curious what
    else is supplied ( yes I could look myself, but that would take the 'fun'
    out of usenet:)

    Shane, Apr 19, 2005

  3. XPD said the following on 19/04/2005 8:01 p.m.:
    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    602 Software Lansuite Free for personal use

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Apr 19, 2005
  4. XPD

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    Mercury/32 - works very well but it's a bit of a PITA to set up.

    http://www.pmail.com

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 19, 2005
  5. XPD

    Nova Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    surgemail
    www.surgemail.com
    its free for 5 users or less
    Nova, Apr 19, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    platform.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Apr 19, 2005
  7. XPD

    Nova Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    >>home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    >>Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    >>Windows based (so there goes the free option).
    >>

    > Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    > out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    > platform.
    >
    > -P.

    Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    servers..

    I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?
    Nova, Apr 19, 2005
  8. XPD

    steven Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:01:15 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    oss, windows baised :-

    http://www.hmailserver.com/?page=features

    and by the looks of things a new version since i last upgraded it - cool

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)
    steven, Apr 19, 2005
  9. XPD

    MarkH Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver
    > from home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :)
    > Preferably Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    I like MDaemon, but it's not free.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)
    MarkH, Apr 19, 2005
  10. XPD wrote:
    > Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    Hamster Classic or Hamster Playground, they do nntp too.
    Both Open source aswell if that matters.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    >> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    >> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :)
    >> Preferably
    >> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

    > 602 Software Lansuite Free for personal use

    I second that, it seems "capable" although I havent played with it's
    filtering options.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 19, 2005
  12. In article <>, says...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > >>home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > >>Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > >>Windows based (so there goes the free option).
    > >>

    > > Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    > > out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    > > platform.
    > >
    > > -P.

    > Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    > seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    > servers..
    >
    > I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

    Mercury is the pro mail distribution server for Pegasus, and has a long
    history behind it. It does not *seem* to have many bells and whistles at
    first sight :)
    However, it's reliably being run by sysadmins on large unis and
    corporations, and successfully copes with huge mail volumes in Novell
    environments and Windows. I think it's probably only equalled by *nix
    servers in terms of performance.

    If you are using Pmail, it also ties in with the pmail user directories
    directly and distributes the mail.

    It's got a bunch of modules for different purposes: you can have an smtp
    server that distributes mail directly (only recommend that if you have
    domain wiht static IP) or smtp relay client that will forward to your
    isp's mail server. It has pop3 client that in my case picks up mail from
    5 pop logins automatically at an interval of my choice. It has a pop3
    server module that you can use for clients on your network to collect
    mail from, and an imap module that will do the same (just don't try to
    log into imap from the machine the server sits on - for some reason
    that's very sluggish). Furthermore, some Dutchman has written a daemon
    for it that puts the client modules into suspend mode while you're not
    online, and wakes it up when you are, but the servers for your lan stay
    active at all times.

    Oh, yes, you can write your own daemons as well. It does mailing lists,
    forwarding, on-holiday messaging ...

    There are mailing lists and archives of the same where you can find out
    how to use the thing. Takes a while though ;-) because unfortunately the
    docs that come with it are just insufficient.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Apr 19, 2005
  13. XPD

    Nova Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>>Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    >>>out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    >>>platform.
    >>>
    >>> -P.

    >>Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    >>seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    >>servers..
    >>
    >>I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

    > Mercury is the pro mail distribution server for Pegasus, and has a long
    > history behind it. It does not *seem* to have many bells and whistles at
    > first sight :)
    > However, it's reliably being run by sysadmins on large unis and
    > corporations, and successfully copes with huge mail volumes in Novell
    > environments and Windows. I think it's probably only equalled by *nix
    > servers in terms of performance.
    >
    > If you are using Pmail, it also ties in with the pmail user directories
    > directly and distributes the mail.
    >
    > It's got a bunch of modules for different purposes: you can have an smtp
    > server that distributes mail directly (only recommend that if you have
    > domain wiht static IP) or smtp relay client that will forward to your
    > isp's mail server. It has pop3 client that in my case picks up mail from
    > 5 pop logins automatically at an interval of my choice. It has a pop3
    > server module that you can use for clients on your network to collect
    > mail from, and an imap module that will do the same (just don't try to
    > log into imap from the machine the server sits on - for some reason
    > that's very sluggish). Furthermore, some Dutchman has written a daemon
    > for it that puts the client modules into suspend mode while you're not
    > online, and wakes it up when you are, but the servers for your lan stay
    > active at all times.
    >
    > Oh, yes, you can write your own daemons as well. It does mailing lists,
    > forwarding, on-holiday messaging ...
    >
    > There are mailing lists and archives of the same where you can find out
    > how to use the thing. Takes a while though ;-) because unfortunately the
    > docs that come with it are just insufficient.
    >
    > -P.

    seems pretty standard stuff these days..

    Does it support spf, rbl's, surbls, challenge/response, end user
    filtering etc?
    I just mean that there are loads of servers out there that do all this
    that usually cost a bomb but are free for 5 users, so if he wants to cut
    down on spam he is better off going after a server that supports those
    features etc like merak, communigate, surgemail.
    Nova, Apr 19, 2005
  14. XPD

    Stewbaby Guest

    Nova <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
    > >>home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
    > >>Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? :) Preferably
    > >>Windows based (so there goes the free option).
    > >>

    > > Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    > > out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    > > platform.
    > >
    > > -P.

    > Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    > seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    > servers..
    >
    > I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

    Best for sending and receiving of Email... isn't that what a mail
    server is for? Mercury/32 is one of the most feature-rich email
    servers there is without forcing unnecessary addons on you (such as
    the Microsoft Exchange bloat).

    Best for everything except sending out Spam, which is specifically
    forbidden under the terms and conditions.

    What features do you need? What features do you think are missing
    from Mercury/32? Apart from a calendar server... it has it all.

    Stewbaby
    Stewbaby, Apr 20, 2005
  15. XPD

    Nova Guest

    Stewbaby wrote:
    > Nova <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>>Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
    >>>out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
    >>>platform.
    >>>
    >>> -P.

    >>Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    >>seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    >>servers..
    >>
    >>I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

    > Best for sending and receiving of Email... isn't that what a mail
    > server is for? Mercury/32 is one of the most feature-rich email
    > servers there is without forcing unnecessary addons on you (such as
    > the Microsoft Exchange bloat).

    err, how is it the best for sending and receiving? is it the fastest
    server at sending and receiving out there? can you back that up?
    or is there some other category that makes it the best at sending and
    receiving?

    I mean serverwatch.com which is probably the best known server review
    sites of mail servers only gave this server a 2 and a half star, if it
    was the "best" or one of the best then i'm sure it would have gotten a
    bit higher hehe.

    Your statement about it being the most feature rich email server out
    there.. how did you come to that conclusion?
    how many mail servers have you compared it with?

    You seem to like the word best, but don't define exactly how you come to
    that conclusion or what you are measuring it on..

    If you can show me some factual comparisons that prove it is the best in
    _all_ areas as you claim to other server then sure you have a point.

    Nova, Apr 20, 2005
  16. XPD

    JC Guest

    There is a 10 user version of @mail on the latest APC mag
    JC, Apr 20, 2005
  17. JC wrote:
    > There is a 10 user version of @mail on the latest APC mag

    oh good, mags starting to provide mail servers on CD... watch the open
    relays re-produce.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 20, 2005
  18. XPD

    Stewbaby Guest

    Nova <> wrote in message news:<42659c5c$>...
    > Stewbaby wrote:
    > > Nova <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >>Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
    > >>seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
    > >>servers..
    > >>
    > >>I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

    > > Best for sending and receiving of Email... isn't that what a mail
    > > server is for? Mercury/32 is one of the most feature-rich email
    > > servers there is without forcing unnecessary addons on you (such as
    > > the Microsoft Exchange bloat).

    > err, how is it the best for sending and receiving? is it the fastest
    > server at sending and receiving out there? can you back that up?
    > or is there some other category that makes it the best at sending and
    > receiving?
    >
    > I mean serverwatch.com which is probably the best known server review
    > sites of mail servers only gave this server a 2 and a half star, if it
    > was the "best" or one of the best then i'm sure it would have gotten a
    > bit higher hehe.
    >
    > Your statement about it being the most feature rich email server out
    > there.. how did you come to that conclusion?
    > how many mail servers have you compared it with?
    >
    > You seem to like the word best, but don't define exactly how you come to
    > that conclusion or what you are measuring it on..
    >
    > If you can show me some factual comparisons that prove it is the best in
    > _all_ areas as you claim to other server then sure you have a point.

    Dude... chill!

    The OP asked for a Mail server recommendation... you pop up dissing a
    product you have not even used and you tell ME I am wrong ;^) Why
    don't you run away and actually install and run it... then you have a
    right to make comments.

    Grow up... Mercury Mail has been around for twice as long as any of
    its competitors (except sendmail... but that has undergone significant
    change and is STILL a dog).

    You have your opinion and I have mine, but the OP wanted opinion and
    he has got it... the difference is mine is based on personal
    experience, and yours obviously is not.

    Have a great day,

    Stewbaby
    Stewbaby, Apr 20, 2005
  19. XPD

    Nova Guest

    Stewbaby wrote:
    > Nova <> wrote in message news:<42659c5c$>...
    >
    >>Stewbaby wrote:

    >>>Best for sending and receiving of Email... isn't that what a mail
    >>>server is for? Mercury/32 is one of the most feature-rich email
    >>>servers there is without forcing unnecessary addons on you (such as
    >>>the Microsoft Exchange bloat).

    >>err, how is it the best for sending and receiving? is it the fastest
    >>server at sending and receiving out there? can you back that up?
    >>or is there some other category that makes it the best at sending and
    >>receiving?
    >>
    >>I mean serverwatch.com which is probably the best known server review
    >>sites of mail servers only gave this server a 2 and a half star, if it
    >>was the "best" or one of the best then i'm sure it would have gotten a
    >>bit higher hehe.
    >>
    >>Your statement about it being the most feature rich email server out
    >>there.. how did you come to that conclusion?
    >>how many mail servers have you compared it with?
    >>
    >>You seem to like the word best, but don't define exactly how you come to
    >>that conclusion or what you are measuring it on..
    >>
    >>If you can show me some factual comparisons that prove it is the best in
    >>_all_ areas as you claim to other server then sure you have a point.

    > Dude... chill!
    >
    > The OP asked for a Mail server recommendation... you pop up dissing a
    > product you have not even used and you tell ME I am wrong ;^) Why
    > don't you run away and actually install and run it... then you have a
    > right to make comments.
    >
    > Grow up... Mercury Mail has been around for twice as long as any of
    > its competitors (except sendmail... but that has undergone significant
    > change and is STILL a dog).
    >
    > You have your opinion and I have mine, but the OP wanted opinion and
    > he has got it... the difference is mine is based on personal
    > experience, and yours obviously is not.
    >
    > Have a great day,
    >
    > Stewbaby

    Im very chilled, I just wanted to know why it was the best, but you
    haven't been able to tell me yet. i'll leave it there. Software's age
    has nothing to do with how good it is at all so another pointless
    statement. My opinion was based on the review site saying

    "Mercury Mail supports many features, but still seems lacking when
    compared to the majority of other email servers on the market today"

    and as for you saying its the most feature rich server, serverwatch seem
    to disagree - now considering these guys review all the major mail
    servers and put out new reviews almost weekly they would have a fair
    idea of what each has and doesn't compared to each other.

    "Not many advanced features; You get what you pay for"

    Now whether he needs advanced features, who knows, and obviously you
    haven't missed them and you seem very happy with it, but I just find it
    amusing when people run around saying something is the best and wild
    claims that it has the most features when you probably have no idea of
    what half the other servers do out there.

    So to the OP, you should go to serverwatch.com and see what the experts
    have to say :)
    Nova, Apr 20, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >JC wrote:
    >> There is a 10 user version of @mail on the latest APC mag

    >oh good, mags starting to provide mail servers on CD... watch the open
    >relays re-produce.

    I think all the modern serious MTAs ship with very strict default
    configurations. That would certainly be true of all the open-source ones.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 24, 2005