    and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
    I can do myself as such :)

    TIA

    XPD, Aug 3, 2007

  2. XPD

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    > Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >
    > Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
    > more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
    > something I can do myself as such :)
    >
    > TIA

    I recall this question coming up before, but I'm buggered if I can remember
    the suite the person ended up using.

    Google to the rescue of my failing memory
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz...l group:nz.comp&rnum=1&hl=en#21e308ee1b2c9b80

    Seems they found something that fits the bill for them, and you.
    HTH
    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Aug 3, 2007

  3. XPD

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    > Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >
    > Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
    > and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
    > I can do myself as such :)

    Mailenable

    http://www.mailenable.com/

    EMB, Aug 3, 2007
  4. XPD

    Rob S Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    > Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >
    > Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
    > and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
    > I can do myself as such :)
    >
    > TIA

    He may have given up working on Pegasus, but Mercury mail server is
    still alive and kicking. http://www.pmail.com/

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Scientists have discovered that time is not real, that we only live in
    the current moment. But then according to that, they haven't done the
    research, and don't have anything to back them up.

    Rob S, Aug 3, 2007
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:46b2cdf5$...
    > XPD wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    >> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >>
    >> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
    >> more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
    >> something I can do myself as such :)

    > Mailenable
    >
    > http://www.mailenable.com/

    No good, wont allow pickup from remote POP accounts <sigh> otherwise looks
    good........

    XPD, Aug 3, 2007
  6. XPD

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message news:46b2cdf5$...
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    >>> Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >>>
    >>> Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me
    >>> more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for
    >>> something I can do myself as such :)

    >> Mailenable
    >>
    >> http://www.mailenable.com/

    > No good, wont allow pickup from remote POP accounts <sigh> otherwise looks
    > good........

    Bugger - I'd forgotten it's only a feature in the Pro version.

    EMB, Aug 3, 2007
  7. In article <46b2d13a$>, Here@home says...
    > He may have given up working on Pegasus, but Mercury mail server is
    > still alive and kicking. http://www.pmail.com/

    What I've been using for years now. The documentation is - um ... sometimes
    obscure.
    There are list server archives online though. Exhaustive.
    Mercury can't pick up from gmail via pop directly, because of encryption issues
    or s.th. like that - have to use 'stunnel' as an intermediary (which works just
    fine for me).
    Has POP server, SMTP server, SMTP relay server (forwards to the ISPs), POP
    client, as well as whassaname - IMAP(?) server. You can configure which modules
    you actually run.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 4, 2007
  8. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting
    > me more and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company
    > for something I can do myself as such :)

    Argosoft seems to work, I have used it before.
    http://www.argosoft.com/rootpages/MailServerNet/Default.aspx

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 4, 2007
  9. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:00:56 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Any recommendations for mail server software to run on XP Pro ?
    > Preferably free :) (dream on...)
    >
    > Mainly want it to filter out this damn spam that seems to be hitting me more
    > and more often lately. And I refuse to pay my hosting company for something
    > I can do myself as such :)
    >
    > TIA

    Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
    pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
    not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

    Steve, Aug 4, 2007
  10. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
    > pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
    > not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

    Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
    require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
    Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
    because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
    them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
    throwing in an add on to confuse them even more :)
    With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

    XPD, Aug 4, 2007
  11. XPD

    EMB Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
    >> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
    >> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

    > Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
    > require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
    > Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
    > because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
    > them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
    > throwing in an add on to confuse them even more :)
    > With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

    You could always set up an IPCop firewall running copfilter which gives
    you transparent spam/virus filtering of all mail traffic.

    http://www.ipcop.org
    http://www.copfilter.org

    EMB, Aug 4, 2007
  12. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
    >> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
    >> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

    > Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
    > require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
    > Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
    > because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
    > them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
    > throwing in an add on to confuse them even more :)
    > With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

    You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
    mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
    mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
    you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
    range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
    address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
    people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
    non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
    will be in a blacklisted range.

    Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2007
  13. XPD

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
    > mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
    > mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
    > you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
    > range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
    > address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
    > people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
    > non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
    > will be in a blacklisted range.

    Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
    outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.

    EMB, Aug 4, 2007
  14. In article <>, says...
    > You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
    > mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
    > mailserver.

    That's what you get around by using the smtp-relay client with Mercury; it just
    forwards all the local mail to the 'official' ISP server. Yepp, that's one wall
    I've beaten my head against in the past ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 4, 2007
  15. XPD

    RL Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

    You think ISPs give a shit about your mail?

    ISPs are amongst the worst of the lot. Orcon does some seriously
    RFC-violating shit to stop spam, blocking a lot of legitimate mail as well.

    There should be a law against damaging the integrity of electronic
    communication systems, it would solve more problems than our half-arsed
    anti-spam law does.

    - RL

    RL, Aug 4, 2007
  16. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:55:34 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
    >> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
    >> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

    > Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
    > require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
    > Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
    > because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
    > them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
    > throwing in an add on to confuse them even more :)
    > With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

    ....like mailwasher does?

    Steve, Aug 4, 2007
  17. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 23:02:16 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
    > mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
    > mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
    > you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
    > range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
    > address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
    > people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
    > non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
    > will be in a blacklisted range.
    >
    > Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Errr... is that why you use your isp's smarthost to send mail? That's what
    you do to stop your mail client from being blacklisted, so you just do the
    same with the server.

    Steve, Aug 4, 2007
  18. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
    >> mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
    >> mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
    >> you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
    >> range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
    >> address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
    >> people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
    >> non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your
    >> IP will be in a blacklisted range.
    >>

    > Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
    > outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.

    Providing your ISP is willing to relay for you.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2007
  19. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    RL wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

    > You think ISPs give a shit about your mail?

    Yes.

    > ISPs are amongst the worst of the lot. Orcon does some seriously
    > RFC-violating shit to stop spam, blocking a lot of legitimate mail as well.
    >
    > There should be a law against damaging the integrity of electronic
    > communication systems, it would solve more problems than our half-arsed
    > anti-spam law does.

    What is it that Orcon do?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2007
  20. In message <46b50271$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
    >> outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.
    > >

    > Providing your ISP is willing to relay for you.

    They already do, as part of the e-mail service they provide for you.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2007