Mail Ordering A HD: Who From Recommendations Requested, Please ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Want to add a second HD to a new PC, and apparently it
    takes the newer interface which is termed SATA.

    Have had very good luck before with Maxtor, so I guess I'm after a
    120 GB, or so, Maxtor SATA internal HD & mt'g. kit.

    Have tried local stores like Comp USA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., and
    either they
    only carry Western Digital, or have no SATA drives from anyone. A bit
    surprising.

    Haven't done any recent mail ordering for PC parts for a very long time,
    and would be most appreciative for any suggestions as to who these days you
    would term reputable, if they say in-stock it really is, etc., these days ?

    How's Comp USA mail order, e.g. ?

    Guess I should also ask who to stay away from.

    Much thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Re: Mail Ordering A HD: Who From Recommendations Requested, Please?

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Want to add a second HD to a new PC, and apparently it
    > takes the newer interface which is termed SATA.
    >
    > Have had very good luck before with Maxtor, so I guess I'm after a
    > 120 GB, or so, Maxtor SATA internal HD & mt'g. kit.
    >
    > Have tried local stores like Comp USA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., and
    > either they
    > only carry Western Digital, or have no SATA drives from anyone. A bit
    > surprising.
    >
    > Haven't done any recent mail ordering for PC parts for a very long time,
    > and would be most appreciative for any suggestions as to who these days you
    > would term reputable, if they say in-stock it really is, etc., these days ?
    >
    > How's Comp USA mail order, e.g. ?
    >
    > Guess I should also ask who to stay away from.
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    I can recommend newegg.com from personal experience. Great pricing and
    fast shipping. Have also ordered from ecost.com - great prices on some
    items, a little higher than newegg on some others. They also ship quickly.
    Dennis Turner, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Robert11

    George Guest

    Before you spend the money, make sure your motherboard has SATA plug ins.
    SATA drives don't use the IDE connections.

    ?

    George, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Didn't read the post too closely, did ya?

    "George" <> wrote in message
    | Before you spend the money, make sure your motherboard has SATA plug ins.
    | SATA drives don't use the IDE connections.
    |
    | "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > Want to add a second HD to a new PC, and apparently it
    | > takes the newer interface which is termed SATA.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    See, it was right there up top...
    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Robert11

    George Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Didn't read the post too closely, did ya?
    >
    > "George" <> wrote in message
    > | Before you spend the money, make sure your motherboard has SATA plug

    ins.
    > | SATA drives don't use the IDE connections.
    > |
    > | "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > | > Hi,
    > | >
    > | > Want to add a second HD to a new PC, and apparently it
    > | > takes the newer interface which is termed SATA.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > See, it was right there up top...

    OOPS!! I guess my arthritus has got all the way to my eyes. I'll try to
    pay closer attention.
    George, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Didn't read the post too closely, did ya?
    | >
    | > "George" <> wrote in message
    | > | Before you spend the money, make sure your motherboard has SATA plug
    | ins.
    | > | SATA drives don't use the IDE connections.
    | > |
    | > | "Robert11" <> wrote in message

    | > See, it was right there up top...
    | >

    | OOPS!! I guess my arthritus has got all the way to my eyes. I'll try to
    | pay closer attention.

    Done it myself - usually a result of a lack of sleep <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004