    the LAN system
    have Outlookexpress and Outlook 2000

    Can annyone help
    mark, Sep 23, 2004

  2. mark

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:04:44 +0100, "mark" <> wrote:

    >have server OS 98 and 20 clients and would like the clients to be able with
    >the LAN system
    >have Outlookexpress and Outlook 2000
    >
    >Can annyone help

    If you want to have control of your own mail using Outlook, you need
    MS Exchange which needs to run on a server that you provide. MS
    Exchange is a product supplied and licensed by Microsoft
    (www.microsoft.com).

    Outlookexpress can use the SMTP and POP3 protocol for either on on
    site or off-premises mail server. Do you want to be in the e-mail
    business?

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Sep 23, 2004

  3. mark

    mark Guest

    i am in a classroom enviroment and wish to instruct students in email
    without the cost of telephone charges

    mark, Sep 23, 2004
  4. mark

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Beachcomber) wrote in news:41531781.620656
    @netnews.comcast.net:

    > If you want to have control of your own mail using Outlook, you need
    > MS Exchange which needs to run on a server that you provide. MS
    > Exchange is a product supplied and licensed by Microsoft
    > (www.microsoft.com).

    You can use Outlook without an Exchange server. Outlook can also use both
    POP3 and IMAP servers without a hitch. There are a number of free email
    servers depending on what platform the server will run. For a simple
    freebee on Windows, I recommend Mercury Mail from pmail.com (I believe,
    google to be sure). For a linux box, if you don't want to delve into
    learning Sendmail or Postfix or anything like that, you get get eXtremail,
    from extremail.org. It has IMAP, POP3, SMTP, remote administration, and
    there is an option free webmail package that is itself based off of
    Squirrel Mail. Both are generally easy to set up and administer and can
    give you free internal email, and both can be configured to use "smart
    hosts" for relaying mail through your ISP's mail server.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Sep 24, 2004