Mail not even addressed to me - ISP fault?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pour-lay, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. pour-lay

    pour-lay Guest

    From:     Tony Gentry <>
    To:        <>
    From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    free.net.nz
    (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    <>;
    Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300

    I am not so why would I get these emails in my
    mailbox?

    Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.
    pour-lay, Feb 4, 2004

  2. pour-lay

    EMB Guest

    "pour-lay" <> wrote in message
    > From: Tony Gentry <>
    > To: <>
    > From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    > free.net.nz
    > (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    > <>;
    > Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
    >
    > I am not so why would I get these emails in my
    > mailbox?
    >
    > Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

    You'll be in the bcc (blind carbon copy field) - you and any other
    recipients won't show

    EMB
    EMB, Feb 4, 2004

  3. pour-lay

    ~misfit~ Guest

    pour-lay wrote:
    > From: Tony Gentry <>
    > To: <>
    > From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    > free.net.nz
    > (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    > <>;
    > Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
    >
    > I am not so why would I get these emails in my
    > mailbox?
    >
    > Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

    I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though unless
    you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2004
  4. pour-lay

    pour-lay Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:06:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    >pour-lay wrote:
    >> From: Tony Gentry <>
    >> To: <>
    >> From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    >> free.net.nz
    >> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    >> <>;
    >> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
    >>
    >> I am not so why would I get these emails in my
    >> mailbox?
    >>
    >> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

    >I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though unless
    >you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.

    oops, is this where I might say something like, 'my bad'?
    pour-lay, Feb 4, 2004
  5. pour-lay

    Stewy Guest

    pour-lay wrote:

    > From: Tony Gentry <>
    > To: <>
    > From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    > free.net.nz
    > (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    > <>;
    > Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
    >
    > I am not so why would I get these emails in my
    > mailbox?
    >
    > Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

    With some of the mail programs, if they have your name in the BCC field, you
    can't see your name in the header.

    Caught me out. Mozilla does it.

    But it's a feature I like.
    Stewy, Feb 4, 2004
  6. pour-lay

    ~misfit~ Guest

    pour-lay wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:06:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> pour-lay wrote:
    >>> From: Tony Gentry <>
    >>> To: <>
    >>> From Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
    >>> free.net.nz
    >>> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
    >>> <>;
    >>> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
    >>>
    >>> I am not so why would I get these emails
    >>> in my mailbox?
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

    >> I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though
    >> unless you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.

    > oops, is this where I might say something like, 'my bad'?

    LOL, everyone makes mistakes. Personally the only time I post real addys in
    NGs is when they're spammer's addys. And then I hope like hell a spambot or
    virus picks them up.

    I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
    addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
    real addys.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2004
  7. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:06:01 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
    > addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
    > real addys.

    Though some of us are not newbies and still have un-munged real addresses
    because we refuse to give in.

    Richard
    Richard Hector, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Richard Hector wrote:
    >>I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
    >>addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
    >>real addys.

    > Though some of us are not newbies and still have un-munged real addresses
    > because we refuse to give in.

    wow, you must be really stubborn... I once got a black eye in a pillow
    fight for being stubborn(him:does this hurt, me:no, him:does this hurt,
    me:no, him:does this hurt, me:no, him:does this hurt, me:no, rinse and
    repeat for 3 hrs) but I gave in a munged my email address.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 4, 2004
  9. pour-lay

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:06:01 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    >I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
    >addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
    >real addys.

    You use OE as a newsreader? Frankly misift, I expected more from you.
    Dogg, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Dogg wrote:
    >>I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
    >>addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
    >>real addys.

    > You use OE as a newsreader? Frankly misift, I expected more from you.

    OE does a very good job at news... and with quote fix, it is practically
    perfect.

    We all keep our systems no matter what OS/software up to date now don't
    we...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 5, 2004
  11. pour-lay

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:06:01 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    > wrote:
    >> I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous
    >> posters addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and
    >> have un-munged, real addys.

    > You use OE as a newsreader? Frankly misift, I expected more from you.

    <g>. Why thank you Sir. (I think).

    Yeah. With Quotefix it's very user-friendly. I have it set to not accept
    HTML, plain text only. I tried a few others a year or two ago but gave in.
    It hasn't given me a problem in all the years I've been using it and, after
    all, that's what really matters.

    I wouldn't dream of using it for mail though.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2004
  12. pour-lay

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:01:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >I wouldn't dream of using it for mail though.

    LOL
    Dogg, Feb 5, 2004