    Any comments or suggestions?
    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 30, 2008

  2. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    > name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >
    > Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    > is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    > account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    > wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    > idea, plus it's free.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions?

    www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
    domains/mailboxes/forwards.
    EMB, Nov 30, 2008

  3. On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:27:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >
    >Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >idea, plus it's free.
    >
    >Any comments or suggestions?

    I do not think that DynDNS's MailHop service is free. Their web site
    lists "MailHop Forward Lite" as US$32.50 and "MailHop Forward" as
    US$42.50 per year.

    What I have been doing for ages is to run my own SMTP server. I
    signed up for DynDNS's Custom DNS service back when it was free and
    true to their word it is still free. I have that DNS set up to point
    the primary MX record to my PC and a backup MX record to DynDNS's
    MailHop Backup MX service. I have to pay US$32.50 per year for the
    Backup MX service, but it is well worth that. They have multiple
    geographically separated servers and I have never had a problem with
    it. I have been using this setup for at least 5 years and it works
    well. Whenever I shift ISPs I have to just change the SMTP server to
    forward emails via the new ISP SMTP server, and change my SPF records
    to say that the ISP server is a valid source of my emails. My script
    that sets up the dynamic IP address automatically handles changing
    that. When my SMTP server is down, the MailHop servers keep my emails
    for a long time, and they do not seem storage limited either. I was
    once away for a couple of weeks on holiday and my server PC went down
    due to a power failure the day after I left. When I got back, there
    was several hundred megs of email to receive from the MailHop servers,
    but nothing was lost.

    There are disadvantages to running your own SMTP server, such as
    having to do your own spam filtering. And have a PC running a lot of
    the time to run the SMTP server (but I do that anyway to run my web
    server). But I can have as many email addresses as I like, and invent
    a new one when I think it is going to attract spam and then delete it
    when I am finished using it.

    A 10 MiB attachment limit is pretty standard - not many SMTP servers
    will default to anything bigger. I put big files on blind URLs on my
    web server and email the URL.
    Stephen Worthington, Nov 30, 2008
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:20:29 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>
    >> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >> idea, plus it's free.
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions?

    >www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
    >domains/mailboxes/forwards.

    That looks like a pretty good deal. 750MB storage is enough for my
    needs.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 30, 2008
  5. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:20:29 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >>> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>>
    >>> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >>> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >>> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >>> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >>> idea, plus it's free.
    >>>
    >>> Any comments or suggestions?

    >> www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
    >> domains/mailboxes/forwards.

    > That looks like a pretty good deal. 750MB storage is enough for my
    > needs.

    I've used them for the last few years, with no serious issues and good
    quick response to support queries. They are currently migrating to a
    new hosting provider which seems from my so far limited testing to be a
    big improvement over what was already pretty good.
    EMB, Nov 30, 2008
  6. Ray Greene

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    > name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >
    > Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    > is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    > account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    > wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    > idea, plus it's free.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions?

    I use dnsmadeeasy.com backup mail option (three MX records) for
    $12.95/year (USD).
    eg.
    10 mail.me.com (client IP)
    20 MX1.dnseasy...
    30 MX2.dnseasy...
    40 MX3.dnseasy...

    Have a look at there other options maybe (eg full mail hosting).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Nov 30, 2008
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:35:30 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:27:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >>name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>
    >>Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >>is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >>account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >>wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >>idea, plus it's free.
    >>
    >>Any comments or suggestions?

    >I do not think that DynDNS's MailHop service is free. Their web site
    >lists "MailHop Forward Lite" as US$32.50 and "MailHop Forward" as
    >US$42.50 per year.

    Damn, you're right. I must have misread that somehow...

    >What I have been doing for ages is to run my own SMTP server. I
    >signed up for DynDNS's Custom DNS service back when it was free and
    >true to their word it is still free. I have that DNS set up to point
    >the primary MX record to my PC and a backup MX record to DynDNS's
    >MailHop Backup MX service. I have to pay US$32.50 per year for the
    >Backup MX service, but it is well worth that. They have multiple
    >geographically separated servers and I have never had a problem with
    >it. I have been using this setup for at least 5 years and it works
    >well. Whenever I shift ISPs I have to just change the SMTP server to
    >forward emails via the new ISP SMTP server, and change my SPF records
    >to say that the ISP server is a valid source of my emails. My script
    >that sets up the dynamic IP address automatically handles changing
    >that. When my SMTP server is down, the MailHop servers keep my emails
    >for a long time, and they do not seem storage limited either. I was
    >once away for a couple of weeks on holiday and my server PC went down
    >due to a power failure the day after I left. When I got back, there
    >was several hundred megs of email to receive from the MailHop servers,
    >but nothing was lost.

    Sounds like good service from DynDNS. I've only ever used them for
    dynamic DNS but they always looked like a very competent outfit.

    >There are disadvantages to running your own SMTP server, such as
    >having to do your own spam filtering. And have a PC running a lot of
    >the time to run the SMTP server (but I do that anyway to run my web
    >server). But I can have as many email addresses as I like, and invent
    >a new one when I think it is going to attract spam and then delete it
    >when I am finished using it.

    I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't be
    bothered maintaining one at the moment.

    >A 10 MiB attachment limit is pretty standard - not many SMTP servers
    >will default to anything bigger. I put big files on blind URLs on my
    >web server and email the URL.

    10MB isn't too bad. Gmail do 20MB but then they do everything bigger.
    I use YouSendIt for large attachments but having your own web server
    is a pretty good option.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 30, 2008
  8. Ray Greene

    Peter Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage

    What do you consider "quite expensive"?

    Email only plans are available from around NZ$50 pa.
    For example, Webfarm ...
    http://www.freeparking.co.nz/

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 30, 2008
  9. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:00:11 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>
    >> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >> idea, plus it's free.
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions?

    >I use dnsmadeeasy.com backup mail option (three MX records) for
    >$12.95/year (USD).
    >eg.
    >10 mail.me.com (client IP)
    >20 MX1.dnseasy...
    >30 MX2.dnseasy...
    >40 MX3.dnseasy...
    >
    >Have a look at there other options maybe (eg full mail hosting).

    Thanks for the suggestion Dave. It looks OK except for the limited
    storage quotas. I think kiwihosting might be a better deal.

    -
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 30, 2008
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:10:33 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage

    >What do you consider "quite expensive"?
    >
    >Email only plans are available from around NZ$50 pa.
    >For example, Webfarm ...
    >http://www.freeparking.co.nz/

    I'd forgotten about them. They are more expensive than kiwihosting
    when you compare storage size but I'll keep then in mind.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 30, 2008
  11. Ray Greene

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > There are disadvantages to running your own SMTP server, such as
    > having to do your own spam filtering. And have a PC running a lot of
    > the time to run the SMTP server (but I do that anyway to run my web
    > server). But I can have as many email addresses as I like, and invent
    > a new one when I think it is going to attract spam and then delete it
    > when I am finished using it.

    And if your IP changes having your mail hit a random IP address which
    will refuse the mails untill you come back online and update the dns record.
    Richard, Nov 30, 2008
  12. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:17:25 +1300, Puddle <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>
    >> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >> idea, plus it's free.
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions?

    >Why do you have to forward mail to a gmail account?
    >Why not just host the domain on gmail? (it is free) and set your mx
    >records to them?
    >http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new
    >The paid version gives a few advantages but the free version should do
    >all you want, you can create users in your domain etc etc.
    >You can use imap to access your domains mail so ads a not an issue.
    >
    >I believe MS have something similar also.

    Well you really do learn something new every day!

    That looks like a pretty good setup, especially if the ads are only in
    webmail. I think I've found the solution to my problem.

    Thanks Puddle, you're a top bloke :)

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Dec 1, 2008
  13. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:59:09 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
    >> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
    >>
    >> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
    >> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
    >> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
    >> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
    >> idea, plus it's free.
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions?

    >yeah I noticed the silly money being charged.....I use a dyndns account
    >and my own Linux box...squirrel mail for web access...imaps inside...but
    >your idea sounds fine, gmail etc all have a decent mail box size...dunno
    >if its backed up mind.
    >
    >What you could do is get the gmail account to forward to hotmail (or
    >something) then if gmail crash and burns you have it stored on hotmail
    >and a working account.

    Good plan, I think I'll do that. It won't be hotmail though, but there
    are plenty of others to choose from.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Dec 1, 2008
  14. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:

    > I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't be
    > bothered maintaining one at the moment.

    Once you are set up there's minimal maintenance.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Dec 1, 2008
  15. Ray Greene

    Your Name Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Ray Greene wrote:
    > >
    > > I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't be
    > > bothered maintaining one at the moment.

    > Once you are set up there's minimal maintenance.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    It's against the terms and conditions to run any kind of Internet server off
    of your broadband account (or at least the cheaper / "home" ones).
    Your Name, Dec 1, 2008
  16. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Your Name wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't
    >>> be bothered maintaining one at the moment.

    >> Once you are set up there's minimal maintenance.

    > It's against the terms and conditions to run any kind of Internet
    > server off of your broadband account (or at least the cheaper /
    > "home" ones).

    I don't believe that's true or rather, it depends on the ISP.

    In any case, I let my ISP collect my email, then I pull it down to my
    home server.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Dec 1, 2008
  17. On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:02:18 +1300, "Your Name" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't be
    >> > bothered maintaining one at the moment.

    >> Once you are set up there's minimal maintenance.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >It's against the terms and conditions to run any kind of Internet server off
    >of your broadband account (or at least the cheaper / "home" ones).

    I always ask about that when I change ISPs. Xtra do not allow it (or
    did not when I asked years ago), but none of the others have had a
    problem with my running servers.
    Stephen Worthington, Dec 2, 2008
  18. Richard wrote:

    > And if your IP changes having your mail hit a random IP address which
    > will refuse the mails untill you come back online and update the dns
    > record.

    If the new customer isn't running a listener on port 25, then the sender MTA will get a "connection refused" error, and it should simply retry.

    If you're unlucky and the new customer IS running an MTA, then they'll likely return a 500-series error saying either "unknown recipient" or "relaying denied", and the sender will get a bounce message.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2008
  19. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Your Name wrote:

    > It's against the terms and conditions to run any kind of Internet server off
    > of your broadband account (or at least the cheaper / "home" ones).

    Xnet are quite happy with you running a server on any xDSL account.
    From their T&C

    EMB, Dec 4, 2008