    go on to enclose some message that I never sent, where the sender's e-mail
    address is mine. Is this a security risk? What can I do to prevent it?
    George
    george, Apr 11, 2004

  2. george

    kulm_nd Guest

    Just a spammer using you as the From in their run OR your name in someone's
    address book and you were chosen as the From by a worm/virus infecting that
    computer. ISP's usually spot the spammer's use and do not worry about
    complaints from others about your "spamming". The other is more serious but
    once again the headers will show it is not from your computer.

    g-w

    "george" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > These days, unfortunately, my e-mail gets a lot of unsolicited e-mails.
    > Every so often, there are some which say that Mail Delivery Failure and

    then

    kulm_nd, Apr 11, 2004

  3. george

    mrk Guest

    "george":
    > Hi All
    > These days, unfortunately, my e-mail gets a lot of unsolicited e-mails.
    > Every so often, there are some which say that Mail Delivery Failure and then
    > go on to enclose some message that I never sent, where the sender's e-mail
    > address is mine. Is this a security risk? What can I do to prevent it?
    > George

    Good chance it's the result of somebody with your address in their addresbook got infected
    with one of those viruses that go around. Many a virus is known to pick a random entry
    from the addressbook on the infected machine and use it as the 'sender's address' in
    messages the virus sends out trying to infect other machines. If such a message gets
    blocked for any reason by the recieving mail server, it may be bounced back to what the
    blocking server thinks is the sender: you.

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    Mark
    mrk, Apr 11, 2004
  4. It's annoying nonetheless, especially when people assume it's really from
    you and start e-mailing hatemail both to you and your ISP.

    --
    Anthony Brant <>
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

    Anthony Brant, Apr 11, 2004
  5. george

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:11:18 +0000 (UTC), "george"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >These days, unfortunately, my e-mail gets a lot of unsolicited e-mails.
    >Every so often, there are some which say that Mail Delivery Failure and then
    >go on to enclose some message that I never sent, where the sender's e-mail
    >address is mine. Is this a security risk? What can I do to prevent it?
    >George

    You can't - just delete them.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 11, 2004
  6. "Anthony Brant" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It's annoying nonetheless, especially when people assume it's really from
    > you and start e-mailing hatemail both to you and your ISP.
    >
    > --
    > Anthony Brant <>
    > Minneapolis, Minnesota

    In which case request that the send a copy of the orginal message
    (minus attachments of course) with headers intact. The header will
    give a server where the mail was (inevitably) relayed from. Contact
    that ISP and tell their clueless sysadmin to turn off mail relaying...

    Regards,

    Lev

    PS: Top-posting is not a recommended. Lots of debates on why this is
    the case which I won't go into here.

    Lev Lafayette, Apr 12, 2004
  7. george

    gteune Guest

    It's been my experience that these are all virus trying to be loaded onto
    your computer. DELETE them

    gteune, Apr 12, 2004
  8. george

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:12:55 GMT, gteune
    <> wrote:

    >It's been my experience that these are all virus trying to be loaded onto
    >your computer. DELETE them

    Well, you need to learn to read the headers and you will find
    some are and some are just dumb postmasters who bounce
    virus infected messages 'back' to the forged senders email.

    Either way deleting the stuff is the best strategy unless it
    happens to be from one of my local ISP's where its reported
    and they can trace the real sender.

    BTW top posting is generally considered something to avoid

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 13, 2004
  9. "Anthony Brant" <> wrote in message
    > It's annoying nonetheless, especially when people assume it's really from
    > you and start e-mailing hatemail both to you and your ISP.

    In which case, teach them how to read an email header..

    http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!