    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Roman

    divoch, Jan 2, 2004

  2. In article <F_fJb.15312$>,
    says...
    > On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
    > days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
    > any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
    > problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
    > I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
    > hotmail accounts.

    Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004

  3. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F_fJb.15312$>,
    > says...
    > > On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

    several
    > > days a large number of these error messages.

    > Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

    If that is the case then it seems to me there is little I can do to stop it?
    One extra bit of information - all the addresses to which delivery fails
    have so far been AOL addresses.

    Roman

    divoch, Jan 2, 2004
  4. In article <1sgJb.15326$>,
    says...
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <F_fJb.15312$>,
    > > says...
    > > > On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

    > several
    > > > days a large number of these error messages.

    > > Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

    > If that is the case then it seems to me there is little I can do to stop it?

    Not really.

    > One extra bit of information - all the addresses to which delivery fails
    > have so far been AOL addresses.

    AOL is probably a target for randomly created addresses. Get MailWasher
    and use it to check the sender/subject line/headers and automatically
    delete mail before you download it.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004
  5. divoch

    divoch, Jan 2, 2004
  6. On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
    <> wrote:

    >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
    >days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
    >any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
    >problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
    >I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
    >hotmail accounts.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >Thanks
    >Roman

    I've been getting a lot of these too, mostly from AOL. they all come
    with attatchments. be sure to check these attatchments, most of mine
    contained a virus.

    PowerPost2000, Jan 2, 2004
  7. On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
    <> wrote:

    >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
    >days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
    >any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
    >problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
    >I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
    >hotmail accounts.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >Thanks
    >Roman

    WARNING!!!

    These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
    OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
    Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
    these messages.

    The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
    common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.

    Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
    want to update your account information.

    David A. Seiver, Jan 2, 2004
  8. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "David A. Seiver" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

    several
    > >days a large number of these error messages.

    > WARNING!!!
    >

    > These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
    > OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
    > Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
    > these messages.
    >
    > The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
    > common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.
    >
    > Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
    > want to update your account information.

    These messages do not have various headers. They all are or appear to be
    Mail delivery error messages From: Mail Delivery Subsystem with the
    same Subject: Returned Mail User unknown

    Regards
    Roman

    divoch, Jan 2, 2004
  9. divoch

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:38:59 -0000, divoch wrote:

    >"David A. Seiver" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

    >several
    >> >days a large number of these error messages.

    >> WARNING!!!
    >>

    >> These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
    >> OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
    >> Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
    >> these messages.
    >>
    >> The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
    >> common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.
    >>
    >> Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
    >> want to update your account information.

    >These messages do not have various headers. They all are or appear to be
    >Mail delivery error messages From: Mail Delivery Subsystem with the
    >same Subject: Returned Mail User unknown

    That's W32/Gibe-F (Swen.A-C.)

    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html

    "David was essentially correct."

    >Regards
    >Roman

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jan 3, 2004
  10. On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:02:07 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >That's W32/Gibe-F (Swen.A-C.)
    >
    >http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html
    >
    >"David was essentially correct."
    >

    >>Regards
    >>Roman

    Yes, and regarding my previous statement, the Emails take these
    various forms:

    Sender Subject
    MS Net Delivery System - Returned Message: Returned To Mailer
    Administrator - Error Notice
    Net Service - Undeliverable Message
    Internet Mail Delivery System - notice
    MS Internet Email Storage System - report

    The list goes on, but you get the idea. The clue is that all of these
    Emails are the same file size.

    David A. Seiver, Jan 3, 2004
  11. divoch

    Rusty Knutts Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
    >days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
    >any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
    >problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
    >I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
    >hotmail accounts.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >Thanks
    >Roman

    I recently had this problem and posted it to a couple of newsgroups.
    Here's what I found out.

    Someone )who has your email address in their address book,) has been
    infected with a virus (worm). Probably one of the W32klez varieties.

    Anytime THEY are online, it hijacks their address book and uses the
    addresses to send a legitimate looking email (with the virus
    attached,) to many, many randomly generated email addresses.

    The reason you are getting the return emails is because some of the
    randomly generated email addresses are no good and the little bugger
    has used YOUR address as the sender.

    How I fixed it:
    I notified everyone in my address book that there is a possibility
    that they were infected with a virus and asked them to scan their
    system with the lastes virus updates to their anti-virus program. If
    they have no anti-virus program there are several on-line virus
    scanning sites such as www.symantec.com that will scan for them.

    Sure enough, one friend found the W32klez.h@mm virus on his computer,
    downloaded the "fix" from Symantec and it corrected MY problem (as I'm
    sure it did for many others.)

    Hope this helps,

    Rusty
    --------

    Rusty Knutts, Jan 6, 2004
  12. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Rusty Knutts" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

    several
    > >days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly

    initiating
    > >any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
    > >problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this

    PC).
    > >I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my

    non
    > >hotmail accounts.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?
    > >Thanks
    > >Roman
    > >

    > I recently had this problem and posted it to a couple of newsgroups.
    > Here's what I found out.
    >
    > Someone )who has your email address in their address book,) has been
    > infected with a virus (worm). Probably one of the W32klez varieties.
    >
    > Anytime THEY are online, it hijacks their address book and uses the
    > addresses to send a legitimate looking email (with the virus
    > attached,) to many, many randomly generated email addresses.

    I can see the logic of it and agree that this is what is probably happening.
    However
    I suspect that it will be someone else than a person in my address book who
    has been infected because there are only my family members in my address
    book
    and they have all hotmail accounts. However this was the only ident I made
    available in the hotmail online directory ( cannot now find it) and it was,
    I presume,
    because of that subject to much more spam then the others. So it could even
    be
    a spammer who has been infected, I suppose.

    Roman

    divoch, Jan 6, 2004