    Etc each time to use a background. Is there an easier way? I am using
    Mozilla 1.7.1 browser and mail client. Thanks! Sally

    , May 7, 2005

  2. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > I would like Mozilla to use my settings for a font when I compose or
    > answer an email. Sometimes it will use the assinged font, sometimes
    > not. Frustrating!

    It may be that sometimes you are composing in HTML and sometimes in
    plain-text. Font, background and color settings don't apply to
    plain-text messages.

    > Also, If i assign a background to an email, it is cumbersome to do so,
    > but will not hold the background ... so I must go to Edit/Prefrences
    > Etc each time to use a background. Is there an easier way? I am using
    > Mozilla 1.7.1 browser and mail client. Thanks! Sally

    First, upgrade to 1.7.7. The versions subsequent to yours contain
    important security fixes.

    When you say background I assume you mean background color. You might
    want to try setting the bg color via a preference using about:config.
    The pref is:

    msgcompose.background_color

    The color value can be hex or word values. For instance #eeefee (a very
    light green) or just green (the standard green).

    You can also put the prefs into your user.js file (or directly into the
    prefs.js file, but that is less desireable methond).

    user_pref("msgcompose.background_color", "#eeefee");
    user_pref("msgcompose.background_color", "red");

    In about:config type "compose" (no quotes) into the filter bar. You'll
    see a variety of other prefs related to this issue.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 7, 2005

  3. Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would like Mozilla to use my settings for a font when I compose or
    >> answer an email. Sometimes it will use the assinged font, sometimes
    >> not. Frustrating!

    > It may be that sometimes you are composing in HTML and sometimes in
    > plain-text. Font, background and color settings don't apply to
    > plain-text messages.
    >
    >> Also, If i assign a background to an email, it is cumbersome to do so,
    >> but will not hold the background ... so I must go to Edit/Prefrences
    >> Etc each time to use a background. Is there an easier way? I am using
    >> Mozilla 1.7.1 browser and mail client. Thanks! Sally
    >>

    > First, upgrade to 1.7.7. The versions subsequent to yours contain
    > important security fixes.
    >
    > When you say background I assume you mean background color. You might
    > want to try setting the bg color via a preference using about:config.
    > The pref is:
    >
    > msgcompose.background_color
    >
    > The color value can be hex or word values. For instance #eeefee (a very
    > light green) or just green (the standard green).
    >
    > You can also put the prefs into your user.js file (or directly into the
    > prefs.js file, but that is less desireable methond).
    >
    > user_pref("msgcompose.background_color", "#eeefee");
    > user_pref("msgcompose.background_color", "red");
    >
    > In about:config type "compose" (no quotes) into the filter bar. You'll
    > see a variety of other prefs related to this issue.

    Oops. Forget to mention that one way to handle your need is to create a
    blank message with the layout you want and save it in your Templates
    folder. Then each time you want to compose a message you double-click
    the saved template and edit it as needed. Doesn't help much when
    Replying or Forwarding though.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

    Ed Mullen, May 7, 2005