    window. But they still exist in the "Inbox" file.

    Is this a bug? I don't like the idea of all my old mail still sitting
    around to be found by someone.
    RGB, Dec 9, 2004

  2. RGB

    Moz Champion Guest

    RGB wrote:

    > While doing a back-up of all data files on my system I noticed the
    > "Inbox" file in Mozilla contained every piece of mail I have received
    > since setting up my new computer a month ago. Even mail I had moved to
    > the trash folder and deleted was still in the "Inbox" file under the;
    >
    > Documents and Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/Profiles directory
    >
    > None of the old mail lists in any of my mail folders in the Mozilla Mail
    > window. But they still exist in the "Inbox" file.
    >
    > Is this a bug? I don't like the idea of all my old mail still sitting
    > around to be found by someone.

    No, its not a bug, it simply shows that you havent used Compress Folders
    since emptying the trash.

    Like in Windows Recycle Bin, or Macintosh Trash, when you place
    something in there, it is not really moved, just the pointers to the
    file/s are set to point there. When you empty the trash/recycle bin, the
    space (in Mac or Windows) is marked available for other files. In time
    the trashed files will be overwritten. You can now understand how most
    file recovery programs work, they simply look for files that have yet to
    be overwritten.

    In the case of Mozilla products, the space within the source file (the
    inbox in your case) cant be marked 'available', but the file can be
    compressed to eliminate messages that are no longer there. This is the
    Compress Folders command in Mozilla and Thunderbird
    File-->Compress Folders
    In Mozilla setting
    Mozilla-->Preferences-->Offline & Disk Space
    Disk Space
    X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB
    will automatically invoke Compress Folders for you (on restart) if xx KB
    are thrown out
    In Thunderbird setting
    Thunderbird-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Offline and Connections Settings
    <Offline Settings>
    Disk Space
    X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB

    So, after emptying the trash in Mozilla, remember to Compress Folders (
    or set them to automatically do so as per the above) to eliminate all
    traces of the messages you just threw out

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Moz Champion wrote:
    > RGB wrote:
    >
    >> While doing a back-up of all data files on my system I noticed the
    >> "Inbox" file in Mozilla contained every piece of mail I have received
    >> since setting up my new computer a month ago. Even mail I had moved
    >> to the trash folder and deleted was still in the "Inbox" file under the;
    >>
    >> Documents and Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/Profiles directory
    >>
    >> None of the old mail lists in any of my mail folders in the Mozilla
    >> Mail window. But they still exist in the "Inbox" file.
    >>
    >> Is this a bug? I don't like the idea of all my old mail still sitting
    >> around to be found by someone.

    > No, its not a bug, it simply shows that you havent used Compress Folders
    > since emptying the trash.
    >
    > Like in Windows Recycle Bin, or Macintosh Trash, when you place
    > something in there, it is not really moved, just the pointers to the
    > file/s are set to point there. When you empty the trash/recycle bin, the
    > space (in Mac or Windows) is marked available for other files. In time
    > the trashed files will be overwritten. You can now understand how most
    > file recovery programs work, they simply look for files that have yet to
    > be overwritten.
    >
    > In the case of Mozilla products, the space within the source file (the
    > inbox in your case) cant be marked 'available', but the file can be
    > compressed to eliminate messages that are no longer there. This is the
    > Compress Folders command in Mozilla and Thunderbird
    > File-->Compress Folders
    > In Mozilla setting
    > Mozilla-->Preferences-->Offline & Disk Space
    > Disk Space
    > X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB
    > will automatically invoke Compress Folders for you (on restart) if xx KB
    > are thrown out
    > In Thunderbird setting
    > Thunderbird-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Offline and Connections Settings
    > <Offline Settings>
    > Disk Space
    > X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB
    >

    > So, after emptying the trash in Mozilla, remember to Compress Folders (
    > or set them to automatically do so as per the above) to eliminate all
    > traces of the messages you just threw out

    Minor correction, its File>>Compact Folders.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 9, 2004
  4. RGB

    Moz Champion Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> RGB wrote:
    >>
    >>> While doing a back-up of all data files on my system I noticed the
    >>> "Inbox" file in Mozilla contained every piece of mail I have received
    >>> since setting up my new computer a month ago. Even mail I had moved
    >>> to the trash folder and deleted was still in the "Inbox" file under
    >>> the;
    >>>
    >>> Documents and Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/Profiles directory
    >>>
    >>> None of the old mail lists in any of my mail folders in the Mozilla
    >>> Mail window. But they still exist in the "Inbox" file.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a bug? I don't like the idea of all my old mail still
    >>> sitting around to be found by someone.

    >> No, its not a bug, it simply shows that you havent used Compress
    >> Folders since emptying the trash.
    >>
    >> Like in Windows Recycle Bin, or Macintosh Trash, when you place
    >> something in there, it is not really moved, just the pointers to the
    >> file/s are set to point there. When you empty the trash/recycle bin,
    >> the space (in Mac or Windows) is marked available for other files. In
    >> time the trashed files will be overwritten. You can now understand how
    >> most file recovery programs work, they simply look for files that have
    >> yet to be overwritten.
    >>
    >> In the case of Mozilla products, the space within the source file (the
    >> inbox in your case) cant be marked 'available', but the file can be
    >> compressed to eliminate messages that are no longer there. This is the
    >> Compress Folders command in Mozilla and Thunderbird
    >> File-->Compress Folders
    >> In Mozilla setting
    >> Mozilla-->Preferences-->Offline & Disk Space
    >> Disk Space
    >> X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB
    >> will automatically invoke Compress Folders for you (on restart) if xx
    >> KB are thrown out
    >> In Thunderbird setting
    >> Thunderbird-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Offline and Connections Settings
    >> <Offline Settings>
    >> Disk Space
    >> X Compress folders when it will save over xx KB
    >>

    >> So, after emptying the trash in Mozilla, remember to Compress Folders
    >> ( or set them to automatically do so as per the above) to eliminate
    >> all traces of the messages you just threw out
    >>

    > Minor correction, its File>>Compact Folders.
    >
    > Lee

    Yep, so it is, sorry bout that

    --
    Mozilla Champion