    mentioned it.

    How come???

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Phil7101 Guest

    > I saw a DVD in Target earlier today with
    > something like "Mahowney" in the title....I can't recall
    > the exact title.
    >
    > My question is: I don't ever remember seeing that
    > movie advertised, nor has anyone on this group even
    > mentioned it.
    >
    > How come???

    If you're talking about the thing with Philip Seymour Hoffman in it, it was a
    very limited arthouse release. I think it was released on the same day as X-Men
    2 as well, which didn't help it too much.

    Phil7101, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Alex Woods Guest

    It's called "Owning Mahowny". Starring Phil Hoffman.

    Alex Woods, Oct 17, 2003
  4. "Alex Woods" <> wrote in message
    > It's called "Owning Mahowny". Starring Phil Hoffman.

    Thats the movie. I read the back and it actually
    sounds interesting. BUT....I'm not going to pay
    Targets 19.99 for it. I'll wait a bit....it'll come
    down.

    Thanks...
    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Adrian S. Kuiper

    MLEB67 Guest

    "Owning Mahowney" - I watched it on Tuesday.
    Very well acted, but extremly depressing. Not a single character that makes you
    really feel bad for them. OK...maybe the girlfriend.
    Rent it first. I will pick this up after the price drops later on.
    Check out Phillip Seymour Hoffman's other 2003 releases: "Love Liza" and "Punch
    Drunk Love".
    Hope this helps somewhat.

    Michael

    MLEB67, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote in message
    > Thats the movie. I read the back and it actually
    > sounds interesting. BUT....I'm not going to pay
    > Targets 19.99 for it. I'll wait a bit....it'll come
    > down.

    Rent it.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Evil Guest

    (MLEB67) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Owning Mahowney" - I watched it on Tuesday.
    > Very well acted, but extremly depressing. Not a single character that makes you
    > really feel bad for them. OK...maybe the girlfriend.
    > Rent it first. I will pick this up after the price drops later on.
    > Check out Phillip Seymour Hoffman's other 2003 releases: "Love Liza" and "Punch
    > Drunk Love".
    > Hope this helps somewhat.
    >
    > Michael

    i loved OWNING MAHOWNY. it showed here in Scottsdale, AZ at the
    Harkins Camelview, which shows the less mainstream films.

    ** possible spoilers**

    True you don't sympathize or empathize with the character, but what i
    found genuinenly compelling was that PSH managed to make you
    understand that character. You could see the path he was taking and
    though frustrating, you could feel what he was going thru, and all the
    time you were saying, "QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD," you know that he
    won't. It's an internal movie, about a man and his compulsion.

    This movie wouldn't be worth watching with a lesser actor.

    as it is, i wouldn't recommend buying it unseen, but i will highly
    recommend a rental.

    Evil, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Adrian S. Kuiper

    d a v e Guest

    > > "Owning Mahowney" - I watched it on Tuesday.
    > > Very well acted, but extremly depressing. Not a single character that

    makes you
    > > really feel bad for them. OK...maybe the girlfriend.
    > > Rent it first. I will pick this up after the price drops later on.
    > > Check out Phillip Seymour Hoffman's other 2003 releases: "Love Liza" and

    "Punch
    > > Drunk Love".
    > > Hope this helps somewhat.
    > >
    > > Michael

    > i loved OWNING MAHOWNY. it showed here in Scottsdale, AZ at the
    > Harkins Camelview, which shows the less mainstream films.

    ditto here, saw it the opening weekend at the camelview 5. i love that
    theater, probably going to checkout wonderland this weekend.

    d a v e, Oct 18, 2003