Maha says "pulse charging eliminates the need for battery conditioning"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Doe, Dec 3, 2008.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    Thanks.


    http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    > FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    > unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    > charging the batteries.
    John Doe, Dec 3, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:pymZk.12857$...
    >
    > Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    >> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    >> charging the batteries.


    used for quite a while, and my experience with it was in remote control
    aircraft, (Used to "pit" for a friend who competed) the NiCad batteries were
    pulse charged for that very reason and also because it was faster, he built
    his own charger but they were commonly commercially available back in the
    late 80's

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?
    Atheist Chaplain, Dec 3, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote:

    > "John Doe" <> wrote in message


    >> http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >>> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning &
    >>> cycling" unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect
    >>> just by charging the batteries.

    >
    > used for quite a while, and my experience with it was in remote
    > control aircraft, (Used to "pit" for a friend who competed) the
    > NiCad batteries were pulse charged for that very reason


    Why doesn't the MH-C9000 use "FLEX Pulse" in addition to or instead of
    including battery conditioning modes?


    --
    The first big front wheel rollerblades.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603
    John Doe, Dec 3, 2008
    #3
  4. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:JmsZk.8784$...
    > "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "John Doe" <> wrote in message

    >
    >>> http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >>>> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning &
    >>>> cycling" unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect
    >>>> just by charging the batteries.

    >>
    >> used for quite a while, and my experience with it was in remote
    >> control aircraft, (Used to "pit" for a friend who competed) the
    >> NiCad batteries were pulse charged for that very reason

    >
    > Why doesn't the MH-C9000 use "FLEX Pulse" in addition to or instead of
    > including battery conditioning modes?
    >
    >
    > --
    > The first big front wheel rollerblades.
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603


    from my limited understanding, conditioning is just pulsing (reversing
    polarity for a fraction of a second) but at lower voltages/amps. I know that
    when the local Tandy store was open here, you could take a "dead" NiCad in
    and for a nominal fee they would put it on their "Conditioner", if the
    battery failed to respond then no charge, I used this a few times to revive
    OEM batteries in various devices instead of having to spend a fortune
    replacing them.
    I have no idea if "FLEX" pulsing is any different to the method we used
    which was to give a big hit to the battery, then pulse it, then give another
    big hit to the battery etc, this was typically cycled many times a second.

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?
    Atheist Chaplain, Dec 3, 2008
    #4
  5. John Doe

    Guest

    Re: Maha says "pulse charging eliminates the need for batteryconditioning"

    On Dec 3, 5:01 am, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:
    > > Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > >http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    > >> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    > >> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    > >> charging the batteries.

    >
    > The old problem of a memory effect no longer applies to newer batteries.
    >   Just use them, and recharge when you feel like it.


    Yes, Modern batteries have been improved and those tricks are now
    meaningless.
    , Dec 3, 2008
    #5
  6. John Doe

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >John Doe wrote:
    >> Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >>
    >> http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >>> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    >>> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    >>> charging the batteries.

    >
    >The old problem of a memory effect no longer applies to newer batteries.
    > Just use them, and recharge when you feel like it.


    It didn't apply to old batteries either. To a very small degree yes. The big problem
    with nicads was keeping them on charge and warming them up continously
    over extended periods. I have a couple house phones that keep them on charge,
    but have little warming ability. They are many years old. I only got 1 year use
    on one recent purchase that really made a warm battery.
    Once whiskers start forming the battery will never be the same and must
    be kept charged or they will just short. I learned charging the old batteries
    with too much current will also start whiskering. I had brand new batteries
    do that after a month.

    I tried rejuvanating many nimh cells last year after I bought a 8 cell Maha charger
    but none of them made any improvment, and the up to 10 year old batteries I
    had were thrown out. Seems they die with age sitting around.

    However, I am proud to say my 45 year old German nicads in my Johnson walkie talkies
    still work.

    greg
    GregS, Dec 3, 2008
    #6
  7. John Doe

    SMS Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    > Thanks.


    It's just marketing speak.
    SMS, Dec 3, 2008
    #7
  8. John Doe

    SMS Guest

    Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    > from my limited understanding, conditioning is just pulsing (reversing
    > polarity for a fraction of a second) but at lower voltages/amps. I know
    > that when the local Tandy store was open here, you could take a "dead"
    > NiCad in and for a nominal fee they would put it on their "Conditioner",
    > if the battery failed to respond then no charge, I used this a few times
    > to revive OEM batteries in various devices instead of having to spend a
    > fortune replacing them.


    Yes, with NiCads, they often got an internal short, which could be
    cleared with a large current through the battery. Popular Electronics
    had an article on NiCad "zapping" back in the 1970's. You basically just
    discharged a large electrolytic capacitor through the battery. I've also
    used a high amperage 12 volt power supply.

    > I have no idea if "FLEX" pulsing is any different to the method we used
    > which was to give a big hit to the battery, then pulse it, then give
    > another big hit to the battery etc, this was typically cycled many times
    > a second.


    NiMH batteries don't suffer from the same crystalline bridges between
    the plates as NiCads, which zapping destroys. The pulse charging is
    something different.
    SMS, Dec 3, 2008
    #8
  9. John Doe

    Chuck Olson Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:pymZk.12857$...
    >
    > Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    >> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    >> charging the batteries.


    A few years ago, I used a battery charger that came with the 4 AA cells in
    a package - - great deal, I figured. But the cells seemed to lose capability
    over a couple of weeks of use and recharging. I suspect this is what gave
    rise to the idea of "memory effect", but to me it just looked like the
    charger was doing a really crappy job.

    Then I read about the MH-C401FS charger that used some sort of pulse
    algorithm, and bought one. Man, that charger brought those AA cells back to
    life! Whatever this thing did, it sure worked. And I've been using it
    regularly ever since. Sure over a period of many months, AA cells still lose
    capability and ultimately need replacing, but for the simple task of getting
    the most energy charged up into the cells, their approach is extremely
    effective.

    I hooked up a chart recorder to monitor the current through a AA cell being
    charged in the MH-C401FS charger, and found a lot of switching taking place
    at first, then it settled down to a steady current, but interrupted
    momentarily every few minutes, and that was all there was to it - - no
    current reversal, and no super high peak currents - - just interruptions. So
    there you have it. They found the key to doing a good job of charging
    batteries - - worth the money, in my estimation.

    Chuck, W6PKP
    Chuck Olson, Dec 3, 2008
    #9
  10. John Doe

    GregS Guest

    In article <FuyZk.8439$x%>, SMS <> wrote:
    >Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    >> from my limited understanding, conditioning is just pulsing (reversing
    >> polarity for a fraction of a second) but at lower voltages/amps. I know
    >> that when the local Tandy store was open here, you could take a "dead"
    >> NiCad in and for a nominal fee they would put it on their "Conditioner",
    >> if the battery failed to respond then no charge, I used this a few times
    >> to revive OEM batteries in various devices instead of having to spend a
    >> fortune replacing them.

    >
    >Yes, with NiCads, they often got an internal short, which could be
    >cleared with a large current through the battery. Popular Electronics
    >had an article on NiCad "zapping" back in the 1970's. You basically just
    >discharged a large electrolytic capacitor through the battery. I've also
    >used a high amperage 12 volt power supply.
    >
    >> I have no idea if "FLEX" pulsing is any different to the method we used
    >> which was to give a big hit to the battery, then pulse it, then give
    >> another big hit to the battery etc, this was typically cycled many times
    >> a second.

    >
    >NiMH batteries don't suffer from the same crystalline bridges between
    >the plates as NiCads, which zapping destroys. The pulse charging is
    >something different.



    I have found a shorted NiMH cell. Reason unknown.

    greg
    GregS, Dec 3, 2008
    #10
  11. John Doe

    Dave Cohen Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    > http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    >> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    >> charging the batteries.


    MAHA make a good charger, I've just ordered the 8 cell model for my son.
    I've been using a less expensive charger from Green Batteries. It's
    micro processor controlled and does AA or AAA 1 to 4, NiMH or NiCD (but
    not mixed).
    With modern NiMH and taking into account their throw away price, it
    really isn't worth getting too bent out of shape worrying about ultimate
    number of cycles. However, getting a decent charger is worthwhile and
    what I have or better is fine. I'm having very good luck with the new
    eneloops.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 3, 2008
    #11
  12. John Doe

    Seth_Thomas Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:41:52 -0500, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >John Doe wrote:
    >> Anybody know what they're talking about, or is it just marketing speak?
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >>
    >> http://www.spam.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=178
    >>> FLEX Pulse also makes traditional "battery conditioning & cycling"
    >>> unnecessary as the pulse eliminates the memory effect just by
    >>> charging the batteries.

    >
    >MAHA make a good charger, I've just ordered the 8 cell model for my son.
    >I've been using a less expensive charger from Green Batteries. It's
    >micro processor controlled and does AA or AAA 1 to 4, NiMH or NiCD (but
    >not mixed).
    >With modern NiMH and taking into account their throw away price, it
    >really isn't worth getting too bent out of shape worrying about ultimate
    >number of cycles. However, getting a decent charger is worthwhile and
    >what I have or better is fine. I'm having very good luck with the new
    >eneloops.
    >Dave Cohen


    Maha is way overrated. One of those net-rumors where everyone tells others to go
    buy something and it just grows exponentially out of ignorance, sheep following
    sheep. Out of all the batteries I've ever purchased Mahas were the only ones
    that ever failed. 2500mAh NiMHs that, after only 10 charge/discharge cycles
    wouldn't provide enough amperage to even light a flash-light properly after they
    drained only 30% of their charge. They went in the trash. I've obtained better
    off-name brands NiMH batteries from discount stores than those I got from Maha.
    I'd never recommend them to anyone unless I didn't like that person.

    Do a little research and you can buy the exact same chargers at 1/2 the price
    too. They just sell re-branded chargers.
    Seth_Thomas, Dec 4, 2008
    #12
  13. John Doe

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 02:18:57 GMT, John Doe wrote:

    >> Maha is way overrated. One of those net-rumors where everyone
    >> tells others to go buy something and it just grows exponentially
    >> out of ignorance, sheep following sheep.

    >
    >> Do a little research and you can buy the exact same chargers at
    >> 1/2 the price too. They just sell re-branded chargers.

    >
    > On Earth? What exact same chargers? Are you confused by the subname
    > "PowerEx"?
    >
    > I just did 48 hours of hard shopping and saw nothing like that.


    Don't take Seth_Thomas <> too
    seriously. It's another of the sock puppet trolls that have been
    infesting the newsgroup. Read enough of their messages and you'll
    see that they're very recognizable.
    ASAAR, Dec 4, 2008
    #13
  14. John Doe

    SMS Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    > WTF!!!! Where ofuckin where did i try to justify Maha batteries? I said NiMH
    > batteries period , no matter what manufacturer works like shit with
    > flashlights or similar items. Alkaline batteries at 1.5v each are best suited
    > for flashlights, not 1.2v NiMH!!!!!


    It depends on the flashlight. A lot of the higher end LED flashlights
    are digitally regulated, and the brightness is the same with 1.2V NiMH,
    1.5V alkalines, or 1.7V lithium cells. Some can even use Li-Ion cells of
    similar dimensions.

    Other than the lower voltage, what's sucked about NiMH batteries is the
    self-discharge; since flashlights are often used infrequently the
    batteries will often be discharged when you want to use it. With the new
    Sanyo Eneloops, and other low self-discharge cells, it's not as bad
    anymore. The other problem is that the NiMH batteries don't work well
    in really cold weather.
    SMS, Dec 4, 2008
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bobby Fischler
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,894
    Bobby Fischler
    Jul 24, 2004
  2. y_p_w

    Re: Maha charger and NiMH AA question

    y_p_w, Aug 19, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    384
    y_p_w
    Aug 19, 2003
  3. Coneill
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    477
  4. Folklore

    Maha 401 - Charging 'charged' batteries ?

    Folklore, Oct 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,243
    Folklore
    Oct 25, 2003
  5. Dave Cardarelli

    Where to buy a MAHA charger

    Dave Cardarelli, Nov 21, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    2,381
    Bert Hyman
    Nov 22, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page