MAHA MH-C801D or La Crosse BC-900 charger ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by camera man, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. camera man

    camera man Guest

    I'm looking for a NiMH battery charger.

    I've narrowed the search down to a

    MAHA MH-C801D 8 position AA/AAA charger

    and a

    La Crosse BC-900 4 position model.

    Both have individual battery charge channels, a
    discharge/recharge cycle mode, and both fast and slow charge
    modes.

    The LaCrosse has a few more bells and whistles including
    adjustable charge current, but the Maha is 8 at once which
    would be useful for me. On the other hand the LaCrosse is a
    lot cheaper.

    I'm leaning towards the LaCrosse but I'm wondering about
    things like build quality and circuit design. Would like to
    hear anyone's input if they own either.

    LA CROSSE BC-900

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php

    Maha MH-C801D

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c801d-battery-charger.htm

    camera man, Mar 25, 2006

  2. camera man

    camera man Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:49:19 -0800, camera man wrote:

    >The LaCrosse has a few more bells and whistles including
    >adjustable charge current, but the Maha is 8 at once which
    >would be useful for me. On the other hand the LaCrosse is a
    >lot cheaper.

    After reading the pdf manuals, I found out the Maha is
    limited in that all 8 channels must be either in the charge
    mode or the conditioning mode and also in all fast or all
    slow charge rate. Not like the older two pair 402F that
    could do both charging and conditioning at the same time on
    two batteries. Kind of limited for the high price.

    Would still like to hear from any owners on build quality.

    camera man, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Hi,

    I have bought a LaCrosse BC-900 and it is really wonderful. If you don't
    need to charge 8 batteries at the same time, or you don't need charge 9V
    batteries, I guess LaCrosse is the best choice.

    Slow charge mode is very useful. You can't imagine how long batteries
    can last after discharge and charge with slow charge mode.

    Bye.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C0ngel_Catal=E0?=, Mar 25, 2006
  4. camera man

    peter Guest

    <camera man> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a NiMH battery charger.
    >
    > I've narrowed the search down to a
    >
    > MAHA MH-C801D 8 position AA/AAA charger
    >
    > and a
    >
    > La Crosse BC-900 4 position model.

    La Crosse has good features, but I could not figure out how to change the
    charging current after reading the manual. I had to ask tech support.

    Once that issue is out of the way, it is my preferred charger (over maha
    204) because I like to be able to charge slower when I'm not in a hurry.

    peter, Mar 25, 2006
  5. camera man

    Scott Chapin Guest

    <camera man> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:49:19 -0800, camera man wrote:
    >

    > >The LaCrosse has a few more bells and whistles including
    > >adjustable charge current, but the Maha is 8 at once which
    > >would be useful for me. On the other hand the LaCrosse is a
    > >lot cheaper.

    > After reading the pdf manuals, I found out the Maha is
    > limited in that all 8 channels must be either in the charge
    > mode or the conditioning mode and also in all fast or all
    > slow charge rate. Not like the older two pair 402F that
    > could do both charging and conditioning at the same time on
    > two batteries. Kind of limited for the high price.
    >
    > Would still like to hear from any owners on build quality.

    I have, and like the Maha. It is of gppd build quality, and I do not have a
    need to be in different modes for different batteries. When I have to get 24
    batteries ready to go for a job, it is great. There are two charge rates,
    1hr and 2 hrs. I would like to have the LaCrosse to be able to determine the
    battery's current condition.

    Scott

    Scott Chapin, Mar 25, 2006
  6. camera man

    y_p_w Guest

    Re: MAHA MH-C801D or La Crosse BC-900 charger ?

    peter wrote:
    > <camera man> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking for a NiMH battery charger.
    > >
    > > I've narrowed the search down to a
    > >
    > > MAHA MH-C801D 8 position AA/AAA charger
    > >
    > > and a
    > >
    > > La Crosse BC-900 4 position model.

    > La Crosse has good features, but I could not figure out how to change the
    > charging current after reading the manual. I had to ask tech support.
    >
    > Once that issue is out of the way, it is my preferred charger (over maha
    > 204) because I like to be able to charge slower when I'm not in a hurry.

    I have a MH-401FS, and it works really well since I have single
    cell and 3-cell devices. I liked it so much that I just ordered the
    black international travel version from TD. I also got the MH-204F
    because of the conditioning feature. I guess it's a "rapid" charger,
    although 500 mA is faster than overnight but not 1-2 hours.

    The new Maha 8-cell chargers seem to charge way to fast for my
    comfort. Even though Maha seems to know what they're doing, I
    have the suspicion that the 401FS (using slow charge overnight) is
    better for the longevity of my batteries.

    BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.
    Currently, I haven't separately labelled my 2500 mAh cells, and know
    which set is which from the brand name. I've got Energizer, GE-Sanyo,
    and Kodak. All appear to be functionally identical.

    y_p_w, Apr 6, 2006
  7. camera man

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "y_p_w" <> writes:
    > BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    > Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    > labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.

    Try some clear nail polish over the Sharpie marking.

    > Currently, I haven't separately labelled my 2500 mAh cells, and know
    > which set is which from the brand name. I've got Energizer, GE-Sanyo,
    > and Kodak. All appear to be functionally identical.

    Those cells are probably all relabelled Sanyo HR-3U cells (which are
    excellent). The telltale is a little "HR" stamp on the negative
    terminal of the battery.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 6, 2006
  8. camera man

    ASAAR Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 17:46:09 -0700, y_p_w wrote:

    > BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    > Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    > labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.

    Little pieces of permanent labels work, but the added thickness
    causes problems in some devices. Small bottles of enamel paint,
    available in hobby shops should work well, but I settled for the
    tiniest bottles of nail polish, inexpensive and readily available
    everywhere in a very wide range of colors. I've got a small set of
    bottles of red, orange, blue, green, brown and silver. And if you
    might ever want to make changes, add a bottle of polish remover.

    ASAAR, Apr 6, 2006
  9. camera man

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "y_p_w" <> writes:
    > > BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    > > Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    > > labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.

    > Try some clear nail polish over the Sharpie marking.

    One of my problems with the label was that sometimes the edges
    would get scraped in the battery compartment.

    > > Currently, I haven't separately labelled my 2500 mAh cells, and know
    > > which set is which from the brand name. I've got Energizer, GE-Sanyo,
    > > and Kodak. All appear to be functionally identical.

    > Those cells are probably all relabelled Sanyo HR-3U cells (which are
    > excellent). The telltale is a little "HR" stamp on the negative
    > terminal of the battery.

    Energizer, GE-Sanyo, Kodak, Olympus, Maxell, Sony. There's probably
    more. I just ordered some Sanyo industrial-label cells with the
    charger. I even suspect that the Maha "made in Japan" cells are Sanyo.

    y_p_w, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Re: MAHA MH-C801D or La Crosse BC-900 charger ?

    On 5 Apr 2006 17:46:09 -0700, "y_p_w" <>
    wrote:

    >BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    >Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    >labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.
    >Currently, I haven't separately labelled my 2500 mAh cells, and know
    >which set is which from the brand name. I've got Energizer, GE-Sanyo,
    >and Kodak. All appear to be functionally identical.

    I've found using sets of different brands works best.

    For a couple that are the same brand, I use a sharpie to add
    bands, eg 1 band or two bands to each battery. I've got a
    little machinist's V block from god knows where that worked
    great. Just put the battery on the v block and spin it while
    applying the sharpie. Gives you a nice clean band.

    johnny the boy, Apr 10, 2006
  11. camera man

    SMS Guest

    camera man wrote:

    > LA CROSSE BC-900
    >
    > http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php

    Note that the BC-900 is more than $13 cheaper at Amazon, see
    "http://tinyurl.com/naw9z", when you factor in the free shipping.

    > Maha MH-C801D
    >
    > http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c801d-battery-charger.htm

    Unless you really need to charge eight batteries at once, the LaCrosse
    would appear to be a much better choice, at $34.99 including shipping,
    from Amazon.

    Neither can use a 12 volt car outlet for charging, except with an inverter.

    Personally, I don't think that all the bells and whistles on the
    LaCrosse are worth it for most people, unless you have a lot of NiMH
    batteries that you want to try to rejuvenate.

    The Sanyo NC-MQH01 is an extremely sophisticated charger, with
    individual charging control, timer control, peak voltage control, minus
    delta voltage detection, temperature control/protection, alkaline
    battery detection, short circuited cells detection, and an accurate
    level test function, and sells for $20 with eight Sanyo batteries (six
    2500 mAH AA cells, and two 900 mAH AAA cells). No cord or bulky AC-DC
    converter either, it has a flip out plug.

    Steve
    http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/
    http://batterydata.com/

    SMS, Apr 13, 2006
  12. camera man

    SMS Guest

    y_p_w wrote:

    > I have a MH-401FS, and it works really well since I have single
    > cell and 3-cell devices. I liked it so much that I just ordered the
    > black international travel version from TD. I also got the MH-204F
    > because of the conditioning feature. I guess it's a "rapid" charger,
    > although 500 mA is faster than overnight but not 1-2 hours.

    This probably the best charger to get in terms of versatility and
    features. Unlike the LaCrosse, the MH-401 can run off of 12 volts. OTOH,
    it doesn't do automatic conditioning & rejuvenating, which can be useful.

    The MH-401 has a lifetime warranty, it's the only charger that has such
    a warranty.

    Steve
    "http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/" AA/AAA NiMH Battery Chargers

    SMS, Apr 14, 2006
  13. camera man

    y_p_w wrote:
    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    > > "y_p_w" <> writes:
    > > > BTW - how do you guys sort your batteries? I like the ones made by
    > > > Sanyo (HR mark on neg) that are relabelled. I've used Brother P-Touch
    > > > labels. I tried the "Industrial" Sharpie, but even that rubs off.

    > > Try some clear nail polish over the Sharpie marking.

    > One of my problems with the label was that sometimes the edges
    > would get scraped in the battery compartment.
    >
    > > > Currently, I haven't separately labelled my 2500 mAh cells, and know
    > > > which set is which from the brand name. I've got Energizer, GE-Sanyo,
    > > > and Kodak. All appear to be functionally identical.

    > > Those cells are probably all relabelled Sanyo HR-3U cells (which are
    > > excellent). The telltale is a little "HR" stamp on the negative
    > > terminal of the battery.

    > Energizer, GE-Sanyo, Kodak, Olympus, Maxell, Sony. There's probably
    > more. I just ordered some Sanyo industrial-label cells with the
    > charger. I even suspect that the Maha "made in Japan" cells are Sanyo.

    After receiving them, the 2500 mAh Maha AAs are the Sanyo ones.
    I've also seen some of the newer Duracell NiMH are too. Still - "Made
    in Japan" might also mean made by Matsushita (Panasonic). The
    750 mAh Kodak AAAs don't seem to be the Sanyo design.

    y_p_w, Apr 14, 2006