    How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
    sitting? 10% per week?

    Thanks.

    Folklore, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Folklore

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Folklore wrote:

    > Am I correct that the 401 (or any charger?) cannot detect an end of
    > charge if the batteries are already fully charged and that placing
    > them in the charger will kill the batteries?
    >
    > How long after they've been removed from the charger and sat on shelf
    > would they be safe to put in again?
    >
    > How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
    > sitting? 10% per week?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It is unlikely that the Maha 401 would hurt a charged battery. That is
    a smart charger and if it senses too much resistance, or heat in the
    batteries, it will reduce the charge rate to a trickle. As for loss of
    charge, the discharge rate of NIMH batteries depends on a number of
    factors, such as construction, environment (hot or cold) and the actual
    chemical composition of the batteries. You can probably get a discharge
    profile from the manufacturer's website for your batteries. That said,
    perhaps 10% in the first week, and relatively less for the rest of the
    discharge time. I usually try to make sure my NIMH batteries get
    recharged if they have been unused for a month or more.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Folklore

    George Guest

    The cheapest way to deal with reducing charging current as a battery charges
    up is to simply insert a resistor in series...that is what most chargers do.
    The current is what produces heat and the current =
    (Vbatt-Vcharger)/Resistance...so, as the battery voltage approaches that of
    the charger, the current drops off.

    George, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Folklore

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Folklore <> wrote:

    > Am I correct that the 401 (or any charger?) cannot detect an end of
    > charge if the batteries are already fully charged and that placing
    > them in the charger will kill the batteries?
    >
    > How long after they've been removed from the charger and sat on shelf
    > would they be safe to put in again?
    >
    > How much charge do batteries loose (ex Powerex 2200 AA) when they're
    > sitting? 10% per week?
    >
    > Thanks.

    When you put any NiMh or NiCd cell (AAA, AA, C, D, N or 9V) in an
    Ansmann Energy 8 or 16 charger the charger first tests the battery and
    reads out, via LED, the state of charge - red = less then 25%, yellow =
    less then 80%, green = more then 80% of full charge. So, yes, a charger
    can know the state of charge of an inserted cell and handle it properly.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Folklore