    (Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
    will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
    buried in spam.)

    Gary Morrison, May 30, 2005

  2. Gary Morrison

    Jim Guest

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...d_dcc&ProductSKU=VCLHG0872&TabName=comp&var2=

    > It says that it has a magnification factor of 0.8, and they want $500
    > for it, although I have a special coupon to get it from $400. But
    > doesn't seem like 0.8 would be much of a change from the 1.0 of the lens
    > itself - not much for $500 or even $400.
    >
    > However, I'm not sure that I know how to interpret that 0.8 number. Is
    > that a multiplier on the focal length? Does it mean that, if I were
    > taking a picture of a ruler and the width of the image reads as 1.0
    > units on the ruler, that with this adaptor, it would read 1.25 (1/0.8)
    > units?

    The 0.8 factor means that the adapter reduces the focal length of the lens
    to 80% of its native value. As for your example, no that is not how it
    works. These devices are about the only way to get a significantly wide
    angle. 80% makes a lot of difference in the appearance of the image.
    Jim

    Jim, May 30, 2005

  3. >>However, I'm not sure that I know how to interpret that 0.8 number. Is
    >>that a multiplier on the focal length? ...

    > The 0.8 factor means that the adapter reduces the focal length of the lens
    > to 80% of its native value.

    OK, I'll ponder it in that light. For example, in 35mm-camera terms,
    wherein a "normal" lens is about 50mm, it would produce the effect of a
    40mm lens.

    Gary Morrison, May 30, 2005
  4. Gary Morrison

    > >>However, I'm not sure that I know how to interpret that 0.8 number. Is
    > >>that a multiplier on the focal length? ...

    > > The 0.8 factor means that the adapter reduces the focal length of the

    lens
    > > to 80% of its native value.

    > OK, I'll ponder it in that light. For example, in 35mm-camera terms,
    > wherein a "normal" lens is about 50mm, it would produce the effect of a
    > 40mm lens.

    Yes, but in that case, the difference would not be great. However, if you
    install the 0.8 adapter on a lens with a 35mm focal length, the difference
    would be much greater.
    Jim.)

    Jim, May 30, 2005