    6ftplus Guest

    anyone know if it's safe/unsafe to use magnetized tools inse a PC.
    Phillips head, flat head screw driver etc? thanks.

    6ftplus, Sep 4, 2005

  2. 6ftplus

    JohnO Guest

    > Generally, yes, it's safe to use magnetic tools inside a PC. You can't
    > get close enought to disk platters to do any damage. You could possibly
    > erase floppy disks, but you would practically have to touch them, and if
    > you did that, even a non-magnetic screwdriver could damage them by
    > scratching the disk surface.

    It's fairly hard to erase floppies with a magnetized screwdriver. I tried it
    once, and the disk was fully readable after laying it on the tool overnight.

    -John O

    JohnO, Sep 6, 2005

  3. 6ftplus

    JohnO Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > There is, as a practical matter, no way to erase a hard drive externally
    > (that is, to magnetically erase the platters without removing the hard
    > drive cover, which, of course, destroys the hard drive all by itself if
    > it's not done in a clean room).

    I'm thinking that the aluminum covers wouldn't begin to stop the magnet's
    flux lines from reaching the platters. So, external erasure seems possible
    to me, with an adequate source of EMI.

    -John O

    JohnO, Sep 6, 2005
  4. On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:52:50 GMT, "JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com>
    wrote:

    >> Generally, yes, it's safe to use magnetic tools inside a PC. You can't
    >> get close enought to disk platters to do any damage. You could possibly
    >> erase floppy disks, but you would practically have to touch them, and if
    >> you did that, even a non-magnetic screwdriver could damage them by
    >> scratching the disk surface.

    >It's fairly hard to erase floppies with a magnetized screwdriver. I tried it
    >once, and the disk was fully readable after laying it on the tool overnight.
    >
    >-John O

    A microwave oven magnet is very strong (almost finger-pinching strong)
    and I have tried a few times to erase a floppy with one,
    unsuccessfully in the short term...ditto external CRT degaussing coil.
    1.44 floppies are quite robust.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 6, 2005
  5. On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:03:02 +0930, "Spammy Sammy"
    <> wrote:

    >"6ftplus" <> wrote in message
    >> anyone know if it's safe/unsafe to use magnetized tools inse a PC.
    >> Phillips head, flat head screw driver etc? thanks.
    >>

    >I had a recent task to erase info from hard drives prior to equipment
    >disposal. Just as an experiment I removed a hard drive and placed a large
    >wattage Pioneer car speaker on it. The magnet was, I would say, a bit on the
    >strong side, however the info on the hard disk was untouched.

    The magnet is a hard disk is stronger, I believe, than the magnet in a
    microwave oven.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 6, 2005
  6. 6ftplus

    Jim Guest

    "Michael A. Terrell" <> wrote in

    > That requires an alternating field, and it has to be slowly
    > reduced or moved away from the media to complete the job.

    Ah, like those "demagnetizers" we used to use on cassette-recorder
    heads? The instructions included a description of how to physically
    move the device (spiraling away from the head IIRC) for best
    results...

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 6, 2005
  7. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:48:51 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >Barry Watzman wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok, I didn't read what you said and your statement is correct.
    >>
    >> However, the discussion was not about demagnetizing media, it was about
    >> erasing it. Erasing media does not require demagnetizing it, necessarily.

    > Try reformatting a floppy after it is erased with a magnet. Most of
    >them will fail to format, but if you use a bulk eraser to remove the
    >residual field, it will format.

    Not only that, I rescued a few "Track 0 bad, disk unusable" cases back
    when they were costly by bulk erasing them.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 7, 2005
  8. 6ftplus

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2005
  9. On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:15:29 GMT, "JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com>
    wrote:

    >http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm
    >Scroll down to the bottom.
    >
    >I want.

    Looks pretty attractive... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 8, 2005
  10. 6ftplus

    JohnO Guest

    >There's no way it can be quite as bad as some of the "warnings" would
    >suggest.

    I'd love to find out. :)

    -John O

    JohnO, Sep 9, 2005
  11. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:17:59 +0930, "Spammy Sammy"
    <> wrote:

    >"JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >I'd be interested in what it has been designed to do. I mean, it's a
    >bog-standard block innit. What use had it's creator in mind I wonder.

    Turn us into a Bugs-Bunnyesque society? :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 9, 2005