    the right one will be awful.
    Unfortunatly, because of my room setup, I can't put it anywhere else. Any
    ideas?
    Mushroom, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Mushroom

    Ed Malphrus Guest

    Wrap the entire set with aluminum foil.

    It won't help but it will sure give your guests something to talk about.

    Seriously, good luck.

    "Mushroom" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is more of a computer newsgroup but any help would be greatly
    > welcome.
    > I have been aware of two discoloured spots on my TV ever since I bought

    it.
    > They seem to change in size alot, and sometimes they are more obvious than
    > others. Sometimes they completely dissapear.
    > The "power-up" de-gauss system dosn't seem to do anything at all.
    > At first, I thought it was my XBox console, so I moved it a couple of

    metres

    Ed Malphrus, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Mushroom

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kenny said:

    > Have you any speakers or anything which generates a magnetic field near the
    > TV, if so move them. An old trick which may work is pick up the TV and turn
    > in circles in the same spot as many times as you can, watch you don't get

    What about one of those big buggers that need 4 delivery men to carry it?

    Brian H¹©, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Mushroom

    Kenny Guest

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Mushroom

    Boomer Guest

    Kenny said:
    [snip]

    Use an INVALID domain name!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm sure the people at gracelands.com are loving the spam that is
    intended for you!
    Boomer, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Mushroom

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    > Kenny said:
    >
    >> Have you any speakers or anything which generates a magnetic field
    >> near the TV, if so move them. An old trick which may work is pick
    >> up the TV and turn in circles in the same spot as many times as you
    >> can, watch you don't get

    > What about one of those big buggers that need 4 delivery men to carry
    > it?

    Walk around the local streets, find 4 delivery men, hijack them to pick your
    TV up .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Seti 1877 wu in 14298 hours
    Paul - xxx, Aug 14, 2003

    ****
    Lafe Galloway, Aug 14, 2003
  8. "Mushroom" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is more of a computer newsgroup but any help would be greatly
    > welcome.
    > I have been aware of two discoloured spots on my TV ever since I bought

    it.
    > They seem to change in size alot, and sometimes they are more obvious than
    > others. Sometimes they completely dissapear.
    > The "power-up" de-gauss system dosn't seem to do anything at all.
    > At first, I thought it was my XBox console, so I moved it a couple of

    metres
    > away from the T.V. (as far as the scart cable will allow), but that dosn't
    > help at all. I have just discovered that rotating it on it's stand changes
    > the "balance" between the two, i.e. the left one will become invisible but
    > the right one will be awful.
    > Unfortunatly, because of my room setup, I can't put it anywhere else. Any
    > ideas?

    Have someone who works on them come out and use their big degaussing coil
    on it.

    NOI
    thund3rstruck_n0i, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Mushroom

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Mushroom" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is more of a computer newsgroup but any help would be greatly
    > welcome.
    > I have been aware of two discoloured spots on my TV ever since I bought

    it.
    > They seem to change in size alot, and sometimes they are more obvious than
    > others. Sometimes they completely dissapear.
    > The "power-up" de-gauss system dosn't seem to do anything at all.
    > At first, I thought it was my XBox console, so I moved it a couple of

    metres
    > away from the T.V. (as far as the scart cable will allow), but that dosn't
    > help at all. I have just discovered that rotating it on it's stand changes
    > the "balance" between the two, i.e. the left one will become invisible but
    > the right one will be awful.
    > Unfortunatly, because of my room setup, I can't put it anywhere else. Any
    > ideas?

    If the impurity changes when you rotate the TV it's external.
    look for AC adapters, unshielded speakers ? , maybe an unshielded centre
    speaker.

    Regards
    Cubzilla, Aug 14, 2003
  10. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:12:01 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Paul - xxx in message

    > Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >> Kenny said:
    >>
    >>> Have you any speakers or anything which generates a magnetic field
    >>> near the TV, if so move them. An old trick which may work is pick
    >>> up the TV and turn in circles in the same spot as many times as you
    >>> can, watch you don't get

    >> What about one of those big buggers that need 4 delivery men to carry
    >> it?

    > Walk around the local streets, find 4 delivery men, hijack them to pick
    > your TV up .. ;)

    A neighborhood I once lived in, you could easily find four guys to pick up
    your TV. Of course, you weren't likely to ever see your TV again.....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 1950
    The Old Sourdough, Aug 14, 2003
  11. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:58:37 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "Kenny" <> posted:
    ..
    >Have you any speakers or anything which generates a magnetic field near the
    >TV, if so move them. An old trick which may work is pick up the TV and turn
    >in circles in the same spot as many times as you can, watch you don't get
    >dizzy and drop it! This effectively uses the earth's magnetic field to
    >degauss the CRT. Another thing to try is a large magnet, maybe from an old
    >speaker. Hold it close to the screen and make circles with it slowly
    >drawing it away from the screen. TV engineers use a degaussing wand for
    >this problem. The degauss function in a TV should start when it is powered
    >on, unlike a monitor which is usually done manually, this part of the TV
    >could be faulty.

    If you read the OP you will discover that he said the colored areas
    change with changes in location of the TV. This means it is not
    magnetized. It is being influenced by some outside field.

    He can degauss it all he wants, but it will not fix the problem.

    To fix the problem he needs to discover the source of the outside
    magnetization.

    Or, although unlikely, it could be loose focusing magnets or coil on the
    crt neck. However, that would not really fit his movement scenario.
    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 15, 2003
  12. Mushroom

    Mushroom Guest

    Thanks for your advice so far.
    I'm trying the manual degauss thing with an old speaker I found.
    It's actually very hard to say if it does change rotating the T.V. but I
    think it does.
    I'm not sure, but sometimes it seems as though the degauss coil does almost
    clear the screen, but then the problem gradually but quite quickly returns,
    if that makes any sense.
    Would this suggest that the coil can't entirely get rid of it?
    Good ideas so far, keep them coming!!!
    Mushroom, Aug 16, 2003
  13. Mushroom

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:50 +0100, Mushroom wrote:

    > Thanks for your advice so far.
    > I'm trying the manual degauss thing with an old speaker I found.

    Well that ain't gonna help, In fact it probably made the problem worse by
    distorting the shadow-mask.

    > It's actually very hard to say if it does change rotating the T.V. but I
    > think it does.
    > I'm not sure, but sometimes it seems as though the degauss coil does almost
    > clear the screen, but then the problem gradually but quite quickly returns,
    > if that makes any sense.
    > Would this suggest that the coil can't entirely get rid of it?
    > Good ideas so far, keep them coming!!!

    If the shadow-mask was distorted with a strong non-alternating magnetic
    field, then a new tube (CRT) would be needed. Usually this exceeds the
    cost of a completely new TV.

    Correct degaussing is always done with a degauss coil either within the
    TV itself or in the repair shop with an AC driven external degaussing
    coil/device, usually this is much more powerful than the TV's own deguass
    coil.

    --
    Paul S
    - What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free? -
    paul s, Aug 16, 2003
  14. Mushroom

    paul s Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:20:45 -0500, Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:58:37 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    > the bleeding, "Kenny" <> posted:
    > .
    >>Have you any speakers or anything which generates a magnetic field near the
    >>TV, if so move them. An old trick which may work is pick up the TV and turn
    >>in circles in the same spot as many times as you can, watch you don't get
    >>dizzy and drop it! This effectively uses the earth's magnetic field to
    >>degauss the CRT. Another thing to try is a large magnet, maybe from an old
    >>speaker. Hold it close to the screen and make circles with it slowly
    >>drawing it away from the screen. TV engineers use a degaussing wand for
    >>this problem. The degauss function in a TV should start when it is powered
    >>on, unlike a monitor which is usually done manually, this part of the TV
    >>could be faulty.

    > If you read the OP you will discover that he said the colored areas
    > change with changes in location of the TV. This means it is not
    > magnetized. It is being influenced by some outside field.
    >
    > He can degauss it all he wants, but it will not fix the problem.
    >
    > To fix the problem he needs to discover the source of the outside
    > magnetization.
    >
    > Or, although unlikely, it could be loose focusing magnets or coil on the
    > crt neck.

    It's a common fault on older Sonys, with the purity magnets falling of
    the yoke.

    > However, that would not really fit his movement scenario.

    The earth's magnetic field can have some effect on TVs and monitors. I saw
    the effect myself when I rotated my own monitor 90degrees to the vertical,
    to use it in portrait mode for a while. The purity went completely
    hay-wire, but was cured by pressing the degauss button a couple of times.
    And there was difinately no man-made magnetic fields or large metal
    objects near it.

    --
    Paul S
    - Heisenberg _may_ have slept here -
    paul s, Aug 16, 2003
  15. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:24:07 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, paul s <> posted:
    ..
    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:50 +0100, Mushroom wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your advice so far.
    >> I'm trying the manual degauss thing with an old speaker I found.

    >Well that ain't gonna help, In fact it probably made the problem worse by
    >distorting the shadow-mask.
    >
    >> It's actually very hard to say if it does change rotating the T.V. but I
    >> think it does.
    >> I'm not sure, but sometimes it seems as though the degauss coil does almost
    >> clear the screen, but then the problem gradually but quite quickly returns,
    >> if that makes any sense.
    >> Would this suggest that the coil can't entirely get rid of it?
    >> Good ideas so far, keep them coming!!!

    >If the shadow-mask was distorted with a strong non-alternating magnetic
    >field, then a new tube (CRT) would be needed. Usually this exceeds the
    >cost of a completely new TV.
    >
    >Correct degaussing is always done with a degauss coil either within the
    >TV itself or in the repair shop with an AC driven external degaussing
    >coil/device, usually this is much more powerful than the TV's own deguass
    >coil.

    True

    I have no idea how much a shop would change for that, however, if you are
    into such things, they are very easy to make your own. I made one for my
    shop 30 years ago without even looking it up in a book.

    No doubt instructions can be found on the internet
    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 17, 2003
  16. Mushroom

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:16:29 -0500, Bill Schowengerdt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:24:07 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
    >bleeding, paul s <> posted:
    >.
    >>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:50 +0100, Mushroom wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for your advice so far.
    >>> I'm trying the manual degauss thing with an old speaker I found.

    >>Well that ain't gonna help, In fact it probably made the problem worse by
    >>distorting the shadow-mask.
    >>
    >>> It's actually very hard to say if it does change rotating the T.V. but I
    >>> think it does.
    >>> I'm not sure, but sometimes it seems as though the degauss coil does almost
    >>> clear the screen, but then the problem gradually but quite quickly returns,
    >>> if that makes any sense.
    >>> Would this suggest that the coil can't entirely get rid of it?
    >>> Good ideas so far, keep them coming!!!

    >>If the shadow-mask was distorted with a strong non-alternating magnetic
    >>field, then a new tube (CRT) would be needed. Usually this exceeds the
    >>cost of a completely new TV.
    >>
    >>Correct degaussing is always done with a degauss coil either within the
    >>TV itself or in the repair shop with an AC driven external degaussing
    >>coil/device, usually this is much more powerful than the TV's own deguass
    >>coil.

    >True
    >
    >I have no idea how much a shop would change for that, however, if you are
    >into such things, they are very easy to make your own. I made one for my
    >shop 30 years ago without even looking it up in a book.
    >
    > No doubt instructions can be found on the internet

    I bought one at Radio Shack a long time ago.
    Scribner, Aug 18, 2003
  17. "Bill Schowengerdt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:24:07 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
    > bleeding, paul s <> posted:
    > .
    > >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:50 +0100, Mushroom wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks for your advice so far.
    > >> I'm trying the manual degauss thing with an old speaker I found.

    > >Well that ain't gonna help, In fact it probably made the problem worse by
    > >distorting the shadow-mask.
    > >
    > >> It's actually very hard to say if it does change rotating the T.V. but

    > >> think it does.
    > >> I'm not sure, but sometimes it seems as though the degauss coil does

    almost
    > >> clear the screen, but then the problem gradually but quite quickly

    returns,
    > >> if that makes any sense.
    > >> Would this suggest that the coil can't entirely get rid of it?
    > >> Good ideas so far, keep them coming!!!

    > >If the shadow-mask was distorted with a strong non-alternating magnetic
    > >field, then a new tube (CRT) would be needed. Usually this exceeds the
    > >cost of a completely new TV.
    > >
    > >Correct degaussing is always done with a degauss coil either within the
    > >TV itself or in the repair shop with an AC driven external degaussing
    > >coil/device, usually this is much more powerful than the TV's own deguass
    > >coil.

    > True
    >
    > I have no idea how much a shop would change for that, ...

    <snip>

    That's because you have your head up your ass. You must enjoy the view;
    it's there so often.
    Sir Horatio William Bernhart Wagglesworth III, Esq, Aug 21, 2003
  18. Mushroom

    Ian Bethell Guest

    Find an old local back/side street TV repair shop that has a load of old
    second hand TV's for sale in the window.... they will most likely have a
    Degausser.... a hand-held thing the size of an LP that plugs into the
    mains.... it's just a quick job so probably wouldn't even charge you a penny
    if you managed to get your TV to them.... or if they're even more generous,
    may let you borrow the device over night.

    Ian Bethell, Aug 21, 2003