Magic SIM - SIM Editor & Reader

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by News Group, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. News Group

    News Group Guest

    Hi,

    I am in the UK and have just received the Magic SIM Editor (v6.0) and USB
    Reader.

    The product also appears to be known as Prodigy SIM Reader and Edison SIM
    Reader.

    The SIM card is put into a USB reader and the reader plugged into my PC.

    The software uses a COM port and includes Prolific's USB to Serial Bridge
    which works fine.

    I can read my SIM card and I can change the PIN.

    However, when I try and write a new Phone Book or SMS Messages, I receive
    the following error immediately:

    System reject read or write this SIM card!

    I have tried another SIM card, and the result is the same.

    I have been to the manufacturer site at: www.magicsim.com but this was no
    help.

    The instructions included in the package are sparse and useless - The
    software is poor.

    I know nothing about SIM cards, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Colin.

    News Group, Jan 6, 2005

  2. News Group

    tangwong Guest

    Transfer phone book from old SIM card to a new one

    I just bought a new GSM cell phone from a different carrier but want to
    transfer the phone book from the old SIM to the new SIM for the new phone.
    How can I do that?

    tangwong, Jan 11, 2005

  3. News Group

    John Navas Guest

    Re: Transfer phone book from old SIM card to a new one

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <> on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:42:04 -0500,
    "tangwong" <> wrote:

    >I just bought a new GSM cell phone from a different carrier but want to
    >transfer the phone book from the old SIM to the new SIM for the new phone.
    >How can I do that?

    Depending on the phones:

    1. IrDA

    2. Bluetooth

    3. SyncML

    4. Email

    5. Cable

    6. Memory card

    In some cases this can be done phone-to-phone. In other cases you have to use
    a computer or website intermediary.

    John Navas, Jan 11, 2005
  4. News Group

    Joseph Guest

    wrote:

    >I just bought a new GSM cell phone from a different carrier but want to
    >transfer the phone book from the old SIM to the new SIM for the new phone.
    >How can I do that?

    You don't mention the manufacturer or model of your phone, but there
    are several different programs such as Logomanager, MobiMB, Oxygen
    Phone Manager that can back up your addresses and phone numbers. If
    you just want to transfer phone numbers and no other details just copy
    the phone numbers from the phone to the SIM. If you want to transfer
    from one SIM to another just do the opposite and transfer the
    information from one to the other then back again. There are also
    devices that will copy the information.

    Joseph, Jan 11, 2005
  5. News Group

    Jerry Guest

    tangwong wrote:
    > I just bought a new GSM cell phone from a different carrier but want to
    > transfer the phone book from the old SIM to the new SIM for the new phone.
    > How can I do that?

    When I migrated from ATT to Cingular the sales droid used an unlocked
    Nokia 3595 to read the phone book from the old SIM into the phone and
    then write it to the new SIM.

    Jerry, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Re: Transfer phone book from old SIM card to a new one

    > When I migrated from ATT to Cingular the sales droid used an unlocked
    > Nokia 3595 to read the phone book from the old SIM into the phone and
    > then write it to the new SIM.

    That's basically what they did for me when I "migrated" from Cingular to
    AT&T. Since I wasn't in contract and purchased my phone at full price
    several months earlier, they unlocked that phone (Moto T720) and copied
    from Cingular SIM to phone to AT&T SIM.

    TH

    Tropical Haven, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Re: Transfer phone book from old SIM card to a new one

    U┬┐ytkownik tangwong napisa┬│:

    > I just bought a new GSM cell phone from a different carrier but want to
    > transfer the phone book from the old SIM to the new SIM for the new phone.
    > How can I do that?

    I don't know what the phone model is, but you can copy the sim card
    phonebook to phone's memory, and then to new sim card. Check it in
    your phone.

    ...:::PlayerOne:::..., Jan 17, 2005