    They're barely readable (pg. 166, 222-3 for example). The editing is
    also non-existent, and the text has commas gone wild. This might not
    bother some people, but for me it makes the reading quite choppy.
    Cynicor, Feb 24, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:12:31 -0500, Cynicor wrote:

    > I picked up a copy this week. It's got a lot of good information in it,
    > all in one place. However, the image reproduction quality on the pages
    > is extremely poor when the pictures are showing the flash's LCD display.
    > They're barely readable (pg. 166, 222-3 for example). The editing is
    > also non-existent, and the text has commas gone wild. This might not
    > bother some people, but for me it makes the reading quite choppy.

    Hah, on a lark I bought a copy a couple of days ago. You're right
    about the LCD display on pg. 166. Fortunately it's not as totally
    undecipherable as I initially thought. You (or at least I) can make
    out what's on the display by shining a flashlight on the page.
    Fortunately, many of the LCD displays on other pages are far more
    readable even if they're not very good examples of how pictures
    should be produced. I agree that it has a lot of good information,
    but I wish it wasn't slightly dumbed down by, for example, the
    oversimplified formula on pg. 24. I also don't agree that motion
    blur as shown on pg. 133 made for a compelling image. I much prefer
    the image of the leaf on pg. 66, but come on - the description for
    this black and white image is:

    > Auto white balance sets the system to match
    > the color of the flash output.

    I'm still pleased with the book and if nothing else, thanks to
    covering older flashes such as the SB-28, it reminded me (though I
    don't ever recall knowing it :) ) that my SB-26 has remote wireless
    slave capability. BTW, check pg. 151 if you want to see a Nikon
    doing an impersonation of the helmeted Dukakis in his infamous tank
    photo. <g>
    ASAAR, Feb 24, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > Hah, on a lark I bought a copy a couple of days ago. You're right
    > about the LCD display on pg. 166. Fortunately it's not as totally
    > undecipherable as I initially thought. You (or at least I) can make
    > out what's on the display by shining a flashlight on the page.

    There's no reason for the stock photo on pg. 34 either.

    > Fortunately, many of the LCD displays on other pages are far more
    > readable even if they're not very good examples of how pictures
    > should be produced.

    The LCD displays would be better mocked up, like the hot shoe is on pg. 49.

    > I also don't agree that motion
    > blur as shown on pg. 133 made for a compelling image.

    Pg. 163 demonstrates nothing. Shots like that need with flash/without
    flash comparisons so that you can tell the difference.

    And the kid on pg. 140 has a saggy diaper that leaks.
    Cynicor, Feb 24, 2007