Made my day.....;o)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/9590

    Court: RIAA lawsuit strategy illegal
    Posted by Tim Yager on December 19, 2003 at 1:00 PM (printer friendly)

    Overturning a series of decisions in favor of the Recording Industry
    Association of America, the Washington, D.C., court said copyright law did
    not allow the organization to issue subpoenas for the identity of file
    swappers on Internet service providers' networks.

    "We are not unsympathetic either to the RIAA’s concern regarding the
    widespread infringement of its members' copyrights, or to the need for
    legal tools to protect those rights," the court wrote. "It is not the
    province of the courts, however, to rewrite (copyright law) in order to
    make it fit a new and unforeseen Internet architecture, no matter how
    damaging that development has been to the music industry."

    The decision did not address the legality of the lawsuits that have
    already been filed against hundreds of individual computer users.

    The appeals courts decision comes in response to a string of ISP
    challenges to the recording industry's attempts to identify file swappers
    in order to sue them.

    Beginning early last year, the RIAA had cited provisions of the Digital
    Millennium Copyright Act, which it said allowed the industry group to
    issue subpoenas for the identities of ISP subscribers allegedly infringing
    copyrights over peer-to-peer networks.

    Verizon Communications, the first ISP to receive several such subpoenas,
    challenged them immediately, saying they were unconstitutional. A lower
    court ruled in favor of the RIAA earlier this year, setting the stage for
    the hundreds of lawsuits subsequently filed. SBC Communications later
    filed a similar lawsuit against the process, also pending in Washington,
    D.C.

    The appeals court did not address any issues of constitutionality or
    privacy in its decision Friday, saying only that Congress had not drafted
    the DMCA to apply to peer-to-peer networks.

    Verizon welcomed the court's decision.

    "Today's ruling is an important victory for Internet users and all
    consumers," Verizon Associate General Counsel Sarah Deutsch said in a
    statement. "The court has knocked down a dangerous procedure that
    threatens Americans' traditional legal guarantees and violates their
    constitutional rights."

    Under the decision, the RIAA still would be able to seek the identity of
    file swappers, but would have to file individual "John Doe" lawsuits
    against the anonymous individuals in order to obtain the identities.

    The RIAA was not yet available for comment.

    --
    @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 19, 2003

  2. @}-}-------Rosee

    Rob K Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote in <Xns9456B4BD7330Croseeneener@206.127.4.10>
    :
    > http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/9590

    <snip>

    And to make your day even better:
    http://tinyurl.com/yvsy3

    Although Buma/Stemra is not quite the counterpart of USA's RIAA, it's
    public knowledge that there is co-operation between the two.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 19, 2003

  3. @}-}-------Rosee

    Brian H¹© Guest

    @}-}-------Rosee said:

    > http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/9590

    (snip)

    Nice result but.......

    > "Today's ruling is an important victory for Internet users and all
    > consumers," Verizon Associate General Counsel Sarah Deutsch said in a
    > statement. "The court has knocked down a dangerous procedure that
    > threatens Americans' traditional legal guarantees and violates their
    > constitutional rights."

    Why the use of "Americans'", does that mean the rest of the world can't be
    attacked by the RIAA, that the worldwide threat was just piss and wind, or are
    we back to the fact that people forget that the world is not American?
    Brian H¹©, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Yeeeeeehaaaaawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Rob K <> chiseled in stone, the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 20, 2003
  5. @}-}-------Rosee

    Rob K Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote in <CfMEb.6844$>
    :
    > @}-}-------Rosee said:

    <snip>

    > Why the use of "Americans'", does that mean the rest of the world can't be
    > attacked by the RIAA, that the worldwide threat was just piss and wind, or
    > are we back to the fact that people forget that the world is not American?

    Neither.
    If the 'bad guys' want to fire their legal guns in the US, US law
    applies.
    UK law applies for legal actions in the UK. So the way I read it, the
    quoted spokesperson saw the matter as a strictly national thing.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    They had to start somewhere, choosing the USA was rather obvious.

    ---
    And besides, having heard the latest on how UK local authorities can
    steal someone's car, create a huge big mess and have the owner pay for
    the mess - the music industry just might want to look at the UK at a
    later stage, say when you've got a proper -written- constitution.

    <VBEG>

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 20, 2003
  6. @}-}-------Rosee

    ñKs Guest

    <sniggers>

    ñKs, Dec 20, 2003
  7. @}-}-------Rosee

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Rob K said:

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote in <CfMEb.6844$>
    >>
    >> @}-}-------Rosee said:
    >>

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Why the use of "Americans'", does that mean the rest of the world can't be
    >> attacked by the RIAA, that the worldwide threat was just piss and wind, or
    >> are we back to the fact that people forget that the world is not American?

    > Neither.
    > If the 'bad guys' want to fire their legal guns in the US, US law
    > applies.
    > UK law applies for legal actions in the UK. So the way I read it, the
    > quoted spokesperson saw the matter as a strictly national thing.
    > Nothing wrong with that.
    > They had to start somewhere, choosing the USA was rather obvious.

    Okeedoke, the reason I asked was that every time I saw a post here about the use
    of Kazaa etc, I only ever read comments about how the RIAA was going to do this
    and how the RIAA was going to do that.

    > ---
    > And besides, having heard the latest on how UK local authorities can
    > steal someone's car, create a huge big mess and have the owner pay for

    Yes, bloody public servants, they forget all about serving the public when it
    suits them.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 20, 2003
  8. @}-}-------Rosee

    Rob K Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote in <tTMEb.6880$>
    :

    > Okeedoke, the reason I asked was that every time I saw a post here about the
    > use of Kazaa etc, I only ever read comments about how the RIAA was going to
    > do this and how the RIAA was going to do that.

    Exactly !
    USA's RIAA is by no means an organisation to underestimate. When money
    speaks ...

    They must have been in a winning mood after the Napster episode. Then,
    it seems, they turned up the volume a bit, claiming that they would
    'eradicate the world-wide evil of P2P-sharing' etc, but that's just
    threatening the general public.

    They (RIAA and the likes) have chosen the legal battlefield, - with
    all it's (international) legal pitfalls. To cut a long story short: P2P
    sharing banned worldwide? That remains to be seen.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Dec 20, 2003
  9. @}-}-------Rosee

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Rob K said:

    > "Brian H¹©" wrote in <tTMEb.6880$>
    >>

    >> Okeedoke, the reason I asked was that every time I saw a post here about the
    >> use of Kazaa etc, I only ever read comments about how the RIAA was going to
    >> do this and how the RIAA was going to do that.

    > Exactly !
    > USA's RIAA is by no means an organisation to underestimate. When money
    > speaks ...
    >
    > They must have been in a winning mood after the Napster episode. Then,
    > it seems, they turned up the volume a bit, claiming that they would
    > 'eradicate the world-wide evil of P2P-sharing' etc, but that's just
    > threatening the general public.
    >
    > They (RIAA and the likes) have chosen the legal battlefield, - with
    > all it's (international) legal pitfalls. To cut a long story short: P2P
    > sharing banned worldwide? That remains to be seen.

    I hope the judges who sit on the cases take into consideration that banning p2p
    would impact on legal file transfers.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 20, 2003