Made in Japan becomes more of a vanity statement now

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 25, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    From the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens preview on Dpreview. Because China
    has become the new Japan (downmarket Japan) pretty soon, Made in Japan
    will mean nearly as much as Made in Germany. Japan has the chance to
    produce really high-end lenses and cameras a now. A Japanese M9 (from
    some company) could appear.

    "The 45mm F1.8 is a lovely lens precisely because it offers great
    image quality while offering an attractive balance of size, price and
    weight. However, its mainly plastic construction makes it clear that
    there are trade-offs being made. By contrast, the 75mm features very
    solid-feeling all-metal construction and those rarely-inexpensive
    words 'Made in Japan' etched into the body."

    RichA, May 25, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >From the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens preview on Dpreview. Because China
    >has become the new Japan (downmarket Japan) pretty soon, Made in Japan
    >will mean nearly as much as Made in Germany. Japan has the chance to
    >produce really high-end lenses and cameras a now. A Japanese M9 (from
    >some company) could appear.

    The Japanese M9 has already appeared. It is called the Fuji X-Pro1.

    >"The 45mm F1.8 is a lovely lens precisely because it offers great
    >image quality while offering an attractive balance of size, price and
    >weight. However, its mainly plastic construction makes it clear that
    >there are trade-offs being made. By contrast, the 75mm features very
    >solid-feeling all-metal construction and those rarely-inexpensive
    >words 'Made in Japan' etched into the body."

    Funny, my 'cheap plastic trade-off' Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is, like others
    of its kind, capable of producing superlative results. You probably
    won't buy one because it isn't metal, but you would be missing out on
    one of the best portrait lenses I have ever used.

    As for the 75mm, what a *stupid* choice of focal length. It is a nice
    looking lens with good optical performance and a metal barrel, so you
    will probably waste your money on one. ;-)

    Bruce, May 25, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 25, 7:03 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >From the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens preview on Dpreview.  Because China
    > >has become the new Japan (downmarket Japan) pretty soon, Made in Japan
    > >will mean nearly as much as Made in Germany.  Japan has the chance to
    > >produce really high-end lenses and cameras a now.  A Japanese M9 (from
    > >some company) could appear.

    > The Japanese M9 has already appeared.  It is called the Fuji X-Pro1.
    >
    > >"The 45mm F1.8 is a lovely lens precisely because it offers great
    > >image quality while offering an attractive balance of size, price and
    > >weight. However, its mainly plastic construction makes it clear that
    > >there are trade-offs being made. By contrast, the 75mm features very
    > >solid-feeling all-metal construction and those rarely-inexpensive
    > >words 'Made in Japan' etched into the body."

    > Funny, my 'cheap plastic trade-off' Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is, like others
    > of its kind, capable of producing superlative results.  You probably
    > won't buy one because it isn't metal, but you would be missing out on
    > one of the best portrait lenses I have ever used.
    >
    > As for the 75mm, what a *stupid* choice of focal length.  It is a nice
    > looking lens with good optical performance and a metal barrel, so you
    > will probably waste your money on one.  ;-)

    Stupid?

    RichA, May 27, 2012
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On May 25, 7:03=A0am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> As for the 75mm, what a *stupid* choice of focal length. =A0It is a nice
    >> looking lens with good optical performance and a metal barrel, so you
    >> will probably waste your money on one. =A0;-)

    >Stupid?

    Yes, stupid. It is too long for portraiture (except possibly in the
    Japanese market which has always preferred 135mm over the 85-105mm
    range that is hugely popular elsewhere in the world) and too short for
    much else.

    Obviously, Japan is the most important market for Olympus but they
    need to consider the worldwide (lack of) appeal of such products.

    Bruce, May 27, 2012