    Robert Guest

    This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible for a PC to run a Mac
    OS or for that matter, a Mac running Windows?

    Robert, May 1, 2005

  2. Robert

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 04:06:44 GMT, "Robert" <> wrote:

    |>This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible for a PC to run a Mac
    |>OS or for that matter, a Mac running Windows?

    Yes, Wine run on a Mac will allow you to run XP.
    an emulator for an IBM (many available) will allow Mac programs to
    run.

    I use an Amiga emulator on the IBM to run my old stuff.

    FWIW
    SP2 for XP actually looks to see if Wine is installed and won't update
    XP if it is :))

    --

    , May 1, 2005

  3. Robert

    WormWood Guest

    WormWood, May 1, 2005
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Where can I get Wine?

    Robert, May 1, 2005
  5. Robert

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:47:13 GMT, "Robert" <> wrote:

    |>Where can I get Wine?

    You can start here:

    http://www.winehq.org/
    And
    http://darwine.opendarwin.org//

    --

    , May 1, 2005
  6. Robert

    Keme Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 04:06:44 GMT, "Robert" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible for a PC to run a Mac
    > |>OS or for that matter, a Mac running Windows?
    > |>

    > Yes, Wine run on a Mac will allow you to run XP.

    [...]

    Wine, as I know it, is an API, not an emulator. You still need x86 CPU
    or some emulating layer to run x86 binaries, which most MS Windows
    versions are. You can use Wine to run well behaved windows programs in
    unix-like OSes (like Solaris, Linux, ...BSD) on an x86 family cpu (like
    the pentium) or a "clone". You (or at least I) can not run Windows
    binaries on the Mac using Wine.

    With Darwine, the wine development targeted for Mac, you should be able
    to recompile and run programs written for Windows (at least according to
    their home page), but then you need the source. I haven't seen the
    source for XP out there yet...

    There are a number of CPU/architecture emulators for "the PC" at hand. I
    tried two:

    - Bochs is free, a minor pain to configure, can not use most hardware
    devices (like CD-drive and USB. you'll have to make disk images to use
    as virtual disks), can only use static (fixed size) disk images and runs
    quite efficiently with modest computer specs under pre-panther (OS-X
    10.2.8 and earlier). It shows the same symptoms under Panther as VPC5
    (see below).

    - Virtual PC is owned by Microsoft (previously Connectix), is a breeze
    to install and configure, supports all hardware devices I tried as well
    as static and dynamic disk images, runs efficiently under Panther (and
    will under Tiger too, I suppose), and requires a bit more on the HW side
    to work. Beware of requirements and compatibility issues. Briefly:
    * Version 5 and earlier will run _very_ slowly if at all under Panther.
    * Version 6 is not compatible with the G5 processor
    * Version 7 needs at least G3/700MHz and 512 MB RAM.

    See http://www.macwindows.com for details and other alternatives.

    Keme, May 2, 2005
  7. Keme wrote:

    > wrote:

    >> Yes, Wine run on a Mac will allow you to run XP.

    > [...]

    > Wine, as I know it, is an API, not an emulator. You still need x86 CPU

    Do we need a reminder on what the acronym "WINE" stands for, here? ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  8. Robert

    Keme Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Keme wrote:
    >>[...]

    >>Wine, as I know it, is an API, not an emulator. You still need x86 CPU

    > Do we need a reminder on what the acronym "WINE" stands for, here? ;)

    So it would seem... Still, the Darwine initiative seems to deviate,
    which is not necessarily a bad thing. It was news to me (pun intended).

    Keme, May 2, 2005
  9. Keme wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Keme wrote:

    >>>[...]

    >>>Wine, as I know it, is an API, not an emulator. You still need x86 CPU

    >> Do we need a reminder on what the acronym "WINE" stands for, here? ;)

    > So it would seem... Still, the Darwine initiative seems to deviate,

    Okay, for anyone who needs it: "Wine Is Not an Emulator"

    Myth 1: http://www.winehq.com/site/myths

    > which is not necessarily a bad thing. It was news to me (pun intended).

    <groan> :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  10. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Recompile windows? I don't think Microsoft will ever release the source.
    > With Darwine, the wine development targeted for Mac, you should be able
    > to recompile and run programs written for Windows (at least according to
    > their home page), but then you need the source. I haven't seen the
    > source for XP out there yet...

    Virtual PC should be interesting since it's Microsoft now.

    Robert, May 2, 2005
  11. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I have no idea what WINE stands for

    Robert, May 2, 2005
  12. Robert wrote:

    > I have no idea what WINE stands for

    >> Do we need a reminder on what the acronym "WINE" stands for, here? ;)

    I just explained it. Continue reading the thread.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005