    while others didn't work. this leads me to believe its the dvd itself
    but others have said its the machine.
    any info is appreciated!
    mike avera, Jan 26, 2005

  2. mike avera

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:03:05 -0500, (mike avera)
    wrote:

    >ok...is the protection from the dvd itself, the dvd player, or the vcr?
    >i ask because there are certain dvds i've taped to vhs with no problem
    >while others didn't work. this leads me to believe its the dvd itself
    >but others have said its the machine.
    >any info is appreciated!

    It's the DVD player that adds Macrovision if the DVD disc have
    Macrovision flag on. Some DVD don't have Macrovision, some have random
    chance of having Macrovision, and some have Macrovision on all DVDs.

    Some DVD polayers can have Macrovision permantly turned off but they
    are generally not supported by firmware hacker. If your DVD player
    can be hacked to turn off Macrovision, consider yourself lucky. If
    not, you will need an add on device to strip the Macrovision from
    video signal.

    (slightly off topic but related issue) For VHS tapes, Macrovision are
    built into the tape and not the VCR so copying from protected tape,
    you will need an add on device to strip the Macrovision or find a
    really old VCR that does not have AGC.
    Impmon, Jan 26, 2005