    hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
    and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
    advance.

    A Better Chungking_Cash, Mar 5, 2004

  2. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Neil Guest

    When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?. How
    many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
    cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.
    And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
    What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
    fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
    crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.
    That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
    long time, and there have been quite a few!.
    Kim

    Neil, Mar 6, 2004

  3. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Feck Guest

    You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
    electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
    sources.
    It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
    might have to copy to a standalone VCR.

    Feck, Mar 6, 2004
  4. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Cernovog Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
    (in message <v8c2c.20626$>):

    > When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

    In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

    As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

    Cernovog, Mar 6, 2004
  5. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Stan Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote:

    }When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

    Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
    as archiving. Read the copyright act.

    }And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.

    Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?

    Stan.

    Stan, Mar 6, 2004
  6. A Better Chungking_Cash

    luminos Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
    > (in message <v8c2c.20626$>):
    >
    > > When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

    > In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?
    >
    > As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    > any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

    This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
    the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

    luminos, Mar 6, 2004
  7. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Rick Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message news:Jsf2c.9911948$...

    > "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
    > > (in message <v8c2c.20626$>):
    > >
    > > > When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

    > > In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?
    > >
    > > As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    > > any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

    > This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
    > the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

    Wherever you're getting your news, you should find another
    source.

    If you're referring to 321, "the ruling" is just the latest in this
    case -- it's being appealed and will eventually be overturned
    (like in all previous cases where a clueless judge somewhere
    along the line claimed that fair use rights don't include the
    right to backup copy protected media).

    Rick

    Rick, Mar 6, 2004
  8. A Better Chungking_Cash

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" <> Gave
    us:

    >When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

    Do you actually think that the retards that make such queries ever
    read the group before?

    > How
    >many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
    >cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.

    It will never stop. They are retards.

    >And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.

    They aren't backups. The retards actually think that the time and
    expense they waste making a copy is a way out of actually buying one.
    They end up costing themselves more. My time is worth too much for
    such retarded pursuits.

    >What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
    >fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
    >crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.

    It's far worse than that even.

    >That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
    >long time, and there have been quite a few!.

    Hundreds... thousands even.

    Top posting retards should be denied internet access. If you are so
    hep on law, you should learn to follow the protocols of the groups you
    interlope in as well.

    DarkMatter, Mar 6, 2004
  9. A Better Chungking_Cash

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 1:48:37 -0500, Cernovog <> Gave
    us:

    >On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
    >(in message <v8c2c.20626$>):
    >
    >> When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

    >In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?
    >
    >As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    >any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

    That is so untrue.

    DarkMatter, Mar 6, 2004
  10. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Haans Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" <> Gave
    > us:

    <snip>
    > My time is worth too much for such retarded pursuits.

    Obviously not worth too much, since you bother spending time on spewing your
    rather worthless comments to this group. And see, I didn't call you names.
    Just commented on the stupidity of your post. ;)

    Haans, Mar 6, 2004
  11. A Better Chungking_Cash

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:49:00 -0800,
    (Stan) Gave us:

    >"Neil" <> wrote:
    >
    >}When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.
    >
    >Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
    >as archiving. Read the copyright act.
    >
    >}And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
    >
    >Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?
    >
    >Stan.

    For one thing, because it was posted to several groups for which it
    was off topic to do so.

    Let alone the fact that any rookie with half a clue knows how to
    scrub macrovision from their feeds, if that what they need to do.
    Those that know how to typically also know that it is a waste of time
    do downconvert video to a poorer form factor.

    DarkMatter, Mar 6, 2004
  12. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Java Jive Guest

    Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
    posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
    please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

    I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
    non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

    Java Jive, Mar 6, 2004
  13. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Deke Guest

    > I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
    > hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
    > and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
    > advance.

    Do a google for macrovision hack, which should bring up several sites.
    BTW, I make VHS copies of my kids movies, give them the tape, and put the
    DVD away. After buying two DVD "The Lion King" movies, I learned my lesson.
    And the quality on a 25" TV in the kids room is fine. I'd rather replace a
    $2.00 tape, than buy another $20.00 replacement DVD.

    Deke

    Deke, Mar 6, 2004
  14. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Mike Davis Guest

    "Stan" <> wrote in message
    > "Neil" <> wrote:
    >
    > }When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.
    >
    > Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
    > as archiving. Read the copyright act.
    >
    > }And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a

    DVD???!!!!.

    > Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?
    >
    > Stan.

    Stan,
    You ask why copy to VHS, I'll answer in one word- "children." When my
    kids were younger I used to make backup tapes of DVD's as they could operate
    the tape deck but would surely trash a DVD. The little rugrats have grown a
    bit, so now I copy the DVD's directly to blank media and let them use an
    older player. This actually serves a second purpose of trying to teach them
    not to trash discs and gear. It works out pretty well, and if the copy of
    "Finding Nemo" gets a little hashed, no problem, there must be two or three
    backup discs safely locked up in the media room <ggg.>
    All the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Mar 6, 2004
  15. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Andre Guest

    Feck <> wrote in message news:<tHc2c.717735$ts4.617242@pd7tw3no>...
    > You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
    > electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
    > sources.
    > It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
    > might have to copy to a standalone VCR.
    >

    > (A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
    >
    > > I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
    > > hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
    > > and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
    > > advance.

    Well seeing as the DMCA makes universal remote controls, garage door
    openers and pretty much anything that allows equipment to be used for
    anything it wasn't intended for (like remote control software for Palm
    Pilots) illegal, this could get difficult.

    Next they will be making "copy-proof" holographic DVD's that *cannot*
    be played in any manufactured player if the hologram is missing. From
    what I understand, the next upgrade to the DVD standard will also take
    out the facility to play DVD-R and DVD-RW, only original burned disks.

    -A

    Andre, Mar 6, 2004
  16. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
    (in message <>):

    >> As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    >> any darn thing he wants with his DVD.
    >>

    > That is so untrue.

    Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

    Cernovog, Mar 6, 2004
  17. A Better Chungking_Cash

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
    (in message <Jsf2c.9911948$>):

    > This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
    > the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

    That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
    enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
    to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

    Cernovog, Mar 6, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 1:48:37 -0500, Cernovog <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    > >On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
    > >(in message <v8c2c.20626$>):
    > >
    > >> When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

    > >In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?
    > >
    > >As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
    > >any darn thing he wants with his DVD.
    > >

    > That is so untrue.

    I pity you and your backward ass government taking away your freedoms.
    --
    ____________________
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 6, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    says...
    > Feck <> wrote in message news:<tHc2c.717735$ts4.617242@pd7tw3no>...
    > > You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
    > > electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
    > > sources.
    > > It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
    > > might have to copy to a standalone VCR.
    > >

    > > (A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
    > >
    > > > I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
    > > > hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
    > > > and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
    > > > advance.

    > Well seeing as the DMCA makes universal remote controls, garage door
    > openers and pretty much anything that allows equipment to be used for
    > anything it wasn't intended for (like remote control software for Palm
    > Pilots) illegal, this could get difficult.
    >
    > Next they will be making "copy-proof" holographic DVD's that *cannot*
    > be played in any manufactured player if the hologram is missing. From
    > what I understand, the next upgrade to the DVD standard will also take
    > out the facility to play DVD-R and DVD-RW, only original burned disks.
    >
    > -A

    Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
    players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
    manufacturers already.
    --
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 6, 2004
  20. I wasn't pirating before but I think it's time to start just to drive up
    the cost that idiots like Darkmatter have to pay when they buy a disk at
    full pop because they have no self control.

    --
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 6, 2004