    Does anyone use one of these for Macro work? If so, how do you find
    it? How does this compare with other options? Would an ST-E2
    triggering 2 remote 580x flash units work just as well? Other ideas?
    Mardon, Apr 30, 2006

  2. "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns97B5ADDA017C3mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99.130...
    > Does anyone use one of these for Macro work? If so, how do you find
    > it? How does this compare with other options? Would an ST-E2
    > triggering 2 remote 580x flash units work just as well? Other ideas?

    I've had a simple ring flash (Elicar Auto Macro-8*) for a few years, but
    never used it with my film cameras. On my 10D it's great as getting the
    right exposure etc. is so easy with the near instant feedback. So whilst
    I'd expect the bespoke Canon units to be necessary for film usage, with
    digital I reckon you can do more or less as well with "any old ring flash".
    Modelling can be achieved by putting black tape over part of the ring.

    *It has a 5.5V sync voltage, so it's safe to use.
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mardon writes ...
    >
    >Does anyone use one of these for Macro work? If so, how do you
    >find it?

    We have the MR-14 ring flash instead and use it with 180 and 100 mm
    macros and the MP-65 special 1-5x lens ... looked at the MT-24 but it
    seemed a bit much for my wife to handle ...

    You might find some interesting info on this flash at these links ...
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ESl0&tag=

    >How does this compare with other options?

    Which lens do you use? I think it's the best choice for the 180 f/3.5
    L macro (which my wife has) because the ring flash is too far from the
    subject, but I think the ring flash is better with the 1-5x super macro
    .... dunno about the 100 macro, could go either way ...

    >Would an ST-E2 triggering 2 remote 580x flash units work just
    >as well?

    I have the ST-E2 and the 550 EX's and IIRC they need to be further back
    to squelch than the 14 or 24 macro flashes, so you probably can't get
    them on the usual macro flash brackets ... also, I can see how the
    580's might work in a studio setting if you set them up separately but
    once you start moving around (like in the field) you would have a world
    of trouble moving the flashes each time as well ... of course if
    they're on a bracket they move with the camera, but I think you then
    run into the problem with being too close.

    >Other ideas?

    I think you're on the right track ... which macro lens are you going to
    use? If the 180 get this flash, if the 100 f/2.8 this is still a very
    good solution, if the MP-65 maybe get the ring flash instead? I think
    these are by far the best options.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    >> Mardon writes ...
    >>
    >>Does anyone use one of these for Macro work? If so, how do you
    >>find it?

    > We have the MR-14 ring flash instead and use it with 180 and 100
    > mm macros and the MP-65 special 1-5x lens ... looked at the
    > MT-24 but it seemed a bit much for my wife to handle ...
    >
    > You might find some interesting info on this flash at these
    > links ...
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml
    > http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ESl0&tag=
    >
    >>How does this compare with other options?

    > Which lens do you use? I think it's the best choice for the 180
    > f/3.5 L macro (which my wife has) because the ring flash is too
    > far from the subject, but I think the ring flash is better with
    > the 1-5x super macro ... dunno about the 100 macro, could go
    > either way ...
    >
    >>Would an ST-E2 triggering 2 remote 580x flash units work just
    >>as well?

    > I have the ST-E2 and the 550 EX's and IIRC they need to be
    > further back to squelch than the 14 or 24 macro flashes, so you
    > probably can't get them on the usual macro flash brackets ...
    > also, I can see how the 580's might work in a studio setting if
    > you set them up separately but once you start moving around
    > (like in the field) you would have a world of trouble moving the
    > flashes each time as well ... of course if they're on a bracket
    > they move with the camera, but I think you then run into the
    > problem with being too close.
    >
    >>Other ideas?

    > I think you're on the right track ... which macro lens are you
    > going to use? If the 180 get this flash, if the 100 f/2.8 this
    > is still a very good solution, if the MP-65 maybe get the ring
    > flash instead? I think these are by far the best options.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks, Bill, for your comprehensive reply. I have a 20D and for
    my macro work I use a 180mm f/3.5L Macro, sometimes with a 1.4x
    extender. Your comments about using the ST-E2 in the field are
    well-taken. I was think more about a 'studio' environment for that
    idea. I know it would not be practical for the field and I guess
    that it would probably be a lot of hassle even in a prepared setup.
    I think I'll discard that ill-conceived idea. I'm also thinking
    that a ring flash (even a crescent or half-ring) will produce
    unnatural highlights on reflective surfaces as compared to the MT-
    24EX. It looks like the Twin Lite is the way to go for me. Oh my,
    more money! Who ever thought photography could get as costly as
    golf! lol
    Mardon, May 1, 2006
  5. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote:

    > I've had a simple ring flash (Elicar Auto Macro-8*) for a few
    > years, but never used it with my film cameras. On my 10D it's
    > great as getting the right exposure etc. is so easy with the
    > near instant feedback. So whilst I'd expect the bespoke Canon
    > units to be necessary for film usage, with digital I reckon you
    > can do more or less as well with "any old ring flash". Modelling
    > can be achieved by putting black tape over part of the ring.
    > *It has a 5.5V sync voltage, so it's safe to use.

    Thanks Malcom. I use a Canon 20D dSLR and a Canon 180mm f/3.5L Macro,
    sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter. I'm considering the MT-24EX
    because I suspect it will create fewer spectral highlights and
    provide a less "flash-looking" image than a ring or crescent light.
    Do you find reflections off of shiny surfaces to be a problem with
    your ring light?
    Mardon, May 1, 2006
  6. Mardon

    Annika1980 Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > Does anyone use one of these for Macro work? If so, how do you find
    > it? How does this compare with other options? Would an ST-E2
    > triggering 2 remote 580x flash units work just as well? Other ideas?

    For my macro shots with the 65mm MP-E lens, I use the 550EX with a
    Lumiquest Softbox. Usually I'll mount the 550EX on a quick-flip
    bracket to get the light off to one side. This creates a more pleasing
    light (IMO) than the even, shadowless lighting provided by either of
    the Canon macro lights.

    If you already have the 580EX this is an inexpensive solution to your
    problem.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/macro
    Annika1980, May 1, 2006
  7. "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    > "Malcolm Stewart" <> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks Malcom. I use a Canon 20D dSLR and a Canon 180mm f/3.5L Macro,
    > sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter. I'm considering the MT-24EX
    > because I suspect it will create fewer spectral highlights and
    > provide a less "flash-looking" image than a ring or crescent light.
    > Do you find reflections off of shiny surfaces to be a problem with
    > your ring light?

    I don't recall being that bothered by the reflections from the ring flash.
    After all, I'd previewed the result using the camera's LCD and adjusted
    where beneficial.
    What I do know (from examining film transparencies under the microscope) is
    that Canon's E-TTL flash system exposure level is affected by specular
    reflections, e.g. under-exposure caused by reflections from shiny fibres, by
    having the flash too close to the lens. Pointing the flash into a reflector
    or diffuser improved both the exposure accuracy and the look of the
    lighting.
    (Haven't done any comparisons between E-TTL and E-TTL II.)
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, May 1, 2006
  8. Mardon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mardon writes ...
    >
    > I'm also thinking that a ring flash (even a crescent or half-ring)
    >will produce unnatural highlights on reflective surfaces as
    >compared to the MT- 24EX.

    Yes, we definitely see reflections of the ring-flash on something like,
    say, the shiny carapace of insects or on flowers if they are wet.

    > for my macro work I use a 180mm f/3.5L Macro

    My wife has this lens (it's a great lens) and for this one I feel the
    MR-14 (ringlight) is not the best choice because of the distance
    factor, it looks more like a point source light than modeled light ...
    I think you are right to get the MT-24 ... for the 1-5x macro the
    ringflash works fine but for the 180 I think the 24 is better ...

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, May 1, 2006