    on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and what one sees
    in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Dave Cohen

    Jonathan Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    > On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    > assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    > manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >
    > On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
    > lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    > scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    > needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    > macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >
    > Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    > setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    > what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    > Dave Cohen

    Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses and
    people. You might be better off doing some reading on this subject. This
    could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start by letting us know
    what camera you are referring to that has a macro setting on it. Most rely
    on the lens or filter to do the actual work. I can't think of one DSLR that
    has a macro setting on it. I have several lenses and a few set of close-up
    filters and a reverse ring that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also
    have a set of tubes that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a
    microscope adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning
    experience.

    Jon.

    Jonathan, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    >> On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    >> assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    >> manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >>
    >> On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
    >> lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    >> scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    >> needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    >> macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >>
    >> Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    >> setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    >> what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses and
    > people. You might be better off doing some reading on this subject. This
    > could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start by letting us know
    > what camera you are referring to that has a macro setting on it. Most rely
    > on the lens or filter to do the actual work. I can't think of one DSLR that
    > has a macro setting on it. I have several lenses and a few set of close-up
    > filters and a reverse ring that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also
    > have a set of tubes that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a
    > microscope adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning
    > experience.
    >
    > Jon.

    I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
    have been clear.
    I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
    that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
    infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
    the macro setting is needed in auto focus.

    I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus in
    store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on dial
    that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.
    Same on Pentax, see here
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page5.asp

    My question is simply what a digital camera does with this setting. I
    really do know what macro mode is.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Dave Cohen

    Charles Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:38:14 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >Jonathan wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>> I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    >>> On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    >>> assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    >>> manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >>>
    >>> On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
    >>> lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    >>> scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    >>> needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    >>> macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >>>
    >>> Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    >>> setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    >>> what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses and
    >> people. You might be better off doing some reading on this subject. This
    >> could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start by letting us know
    >> what camera you are referring to that has a macro setting on it. Most rely
    >> on the lens or filter to do the actual work. I can't think of one DSLR that
    >> has a macro setting on it. I have several lenses and a few set of close-up
    >> filters and a reverse ring that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also
    >> have a set of tubes that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a
    >> microscope adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning
    >> experience.
    >>
    >> Jon.
    >>

    >I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
    >have been clear.
    >I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
    >that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
    >infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
    >the macro setting is needed in auto focus.
    >
    >I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus in
    >store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on dial
    >that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.
    >Same on Pentax, see here
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page5.asp
    >
    >My question is simply what a digital camera does with this setting. I
    >really do know what macro mode is.
    >Dave Cohen

    I believe in auto-focus mode the camera searches through a certain
    range to find the best focus. When the switch is set to macro, the
    range is extended to cover much closer focusing, when not in macro
    mode the camera doesn't try to focus that close. I'm not sure why
    they are built this way, maybe to same power.

    I read about this with my Nikon, but it's been some time and I forget
    things.

    Charles, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Dave Cohen

    lemel_man Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    > On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    > assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was manual
    > no problem in understanding or using.
    >
    > On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
    > lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing scheme.
    > Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is needed but
    > that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus, macro mode is not
    > available since same dial function.
    >
    > Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro setting
    > on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and what one sees
    > in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    > Dave Cohen

    On my Nikon Coolpix 5700 "macro mode" means "special near focusing
    mode". I don't remember the actual numbers but its something like:
    normal mode focuses 30cm to infinity, and macro mode focuses 1cm to
    40cm; both ranges being dependent on the zoom setting. The overlap
    occurs at certain zoom levels only, and certain zoom settings don't
    achieve focus lock in macro mode. Both modes are available with manual
    focusing, but again the range is affected.
    Other cameras may work in different ways.

    --
    Regards, Gary Wooding

    lemel_man, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Dave Cohen

    Jonathan Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>> I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    >>> On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    >>> assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    >>> manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >>>
    >>> On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in
    >>> the lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    >>> scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    >>> needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    >>> macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >>>
    >>> Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    >>> setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    >>> what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses
    >> and people. You might be better off doing some reading on this
    >> subject. This could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could
    >> start by letting us know what camera you are referring to that has a
    >> macro setting on it. Most rely on the lens or filter to do the
    >> actual work. I can't think of one DSLR that has a macro setting on
    >> it. I have several lenses and a few set of close-up filters and a
    >> reverse ring that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also have a
    >> set of tubes that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a
    >> microscope adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy
    >> learning experience. Jon.
    >>

    > I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
    > have been clear.
    > I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
    > that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
    > infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
    > the macro setting is needed in auto focus.
    >
    > I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus
    > in store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on
    > dial that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.
    > Same on Pentax, see here
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page5.asp
    >
    > My question is simply what a digital camera does with this setting. I
    > really do know what macro mode is.
    > Dave Cohen

    What it does is a good question. Maybe you could DL the manual and get an
    accurate answer. The term "Macro" is not defined and means different things
    in different circumstances. Some call it Micro for example. Good luck in you
    quest for knowledge. Maybe you should ask on dpreview.com there is a wealth
    of information in that group.

    Jonathan, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Dave Cohen

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <G7Mwi.1526$eL.1292@trndny07>, Dave Cohen <>
    writes
    >Jonathan wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>> I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    >>> On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    >>> assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    >>> manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >>>
    >>> On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in the
    >>> lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    >>> scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    >>> needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    >>> macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >>>
    >>> Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    >>> setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    >>> what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses
    >>and people. You might be better off doing some reading on this
    >>subject. This could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start
    >>by letting us know what camera you are referring to that has a macro
    >>setting on it. Most rely on the lens or filter to do the actual work.
    >>I can't think of one DSLR that has a macro setting on it. I have
    >>several lenses and a few set of close-up filters and a reverse ring
    >>that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also have a set of tubes
    >>that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a microscope
    >>adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning experience.
    >> Jon.

    >I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
    >have been clear.
    >I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
    >that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
    >infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
    >the macro setting is needed in auto focus.
    >
    >I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus
    >in store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on
    >dial that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.

    I think all of the functions using the symbols in the idiot mode do is
    to limit the range over which aperture, shutter speed, sensitivity, and
    metering will vary. I.e. for close-up it will try to set the smallest
    aperture to get the best depth of field, sport will try to use a fast
    shutter and small aperture by setting a higher sensitivity. I can not
    recall what the user manual says, and have not used these modes, but
    this is my how I would adjust my camera for such subjects.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

    Prometheus, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Dave Cohen

    Jeff Guest

    Dave Cohen <> wrote in news:G7Mwi.1526$eL.1292@trndny07:

    > Jonathan wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>> I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so let me explain:
    >>> On my old manual slr lens, macro mode was a ring on the lens which I
    >>> assume moved some internal glass to enable macro. Since focus was
    >>> manual no problem in understanding or using.
    >>>
    >>> On my A95, when I enter macro mode obviously nothing happening in
    >>> the lens so I assume maybe it has something to do with the focusing
    >>> scheme. Annoying that the camera doesn't indicate when macro is
    >>> needed but that's another issue. I notice if using manual focus,
    >>> macro mode is not available since same dial function.
    >>>
    >>> Now browsing thru' some dslr's in store, I see they have a macro
    >>> setting on top dial. Does anyone know what that actually does and
    >>> what one sees in using it. Is it still used if using manual focus.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> Macro means a lot of different things to different cameras, lenses
    >> and
    >> people. You might be better off doing some reading on this subject.
    >> This could be discussed endlessly otherwise. You could start by
    >> letting us know what camera you are referring to that has a macro
    >> setting on it. Most rely on the lens or filter to do the actual work.
    >> I can't think of one DSLR that has a macro setting on it. I have
    >> several lenses and a few set of close-up filters and a reverse ring
    >> that lets me connect my lenses backwards. I also have a set of tubes
    >> that change the focal point. Next I will be getting a microscope
    >> adapter so as you can see you might be in for a lengthy learning
    >> experience.
    >>
    >> Jon.
    >>

    > I thought by spelling out my points in 3 paragraphs my meaning would
    > have been clear.
    > I clearly state my camera is an A95, that's a canon. Since it appears
    > that in manual mode it focuses over the complete range macro to
    > infinity, I keep it set at minimum zoom, I was just curious as to why
    > the macro setting is needed in auto focus.
    >
    > I don't own a dslr. I looked at Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus
    > in store. Can't remember exactly but some or all had a macro mode on
    > dial that select shutter mode and portrait, landscape etc.
    > Same on Pentax, see here
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page5.asp
    >
    > My question is simply what a digital camera does with this setting. I
    > really do know what macro mode is.
    > Dave Cohen

    With the Sony DSLR, the macro mode will limit the ISO range to 100-400 (if
    the ISO is set to AUTO) and biases the exposure toward a smaller aperture
    for more depth of field. It does not affect zoom or focus range. Anything
    your lens can focus on (near or far, manual or autofocus) is fair game, as
    it would be in any other mode.

    Jeff, Aug 17, 2007