Macro mode how do I use?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bible John, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Bible John

    Bible John Guest

    I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
    shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
    a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
    mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
    have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
    shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
    and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
    missing a step?

    When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
    a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
    never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
    and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
    could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
    Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
    cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
    only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
    find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
    current Vivitar will not do the job.

    Thanks,

    John

    --
    CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

    2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
    season and out of season; correct, rebuke
    and encourage ‹ with great patience and careful instruction.

    AIM: Crucifyself03

    Bible John, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Bible John

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:25:04 -0700, Bible John
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
    >shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
    >a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
    >mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
    >have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
    >shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
    >and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
    >missing a step?

    That's a fixed focus camera, according to
    http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigCams/2mpdsc.html#v3625
    and macro mode is supposed to be 12 - 30 inches.
    So, anywhere in that range will be, according to Vivitar, OK, but
    probably the closer to the middle of that range you can get, the
    better.
    Being fixed focus, it's not going to be very good unless light is
    good, and macro shots will be moreso; the more light, the better. But
    the camera is limited by that fixed focus. There's no step you're
    missing, the camera just isn't up to the task.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Bible John

    Bible John Guest

    Thank you!

    John

    Bible John, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Bible John

    rwesurfn Guest

    "Bible John" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
    > shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
    > a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
    > mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
    > have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
    > shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
    > and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
    > missing a step?
    >
    > When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
    > a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
    > never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
    > and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
    > could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
    > Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
    > cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
    > only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
    > find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
    > current Vivitar will not do the job.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > John
    >
    > --
    > CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
    > http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
    >
    > 2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
    > season and out of season; correct, rebuke
    > and encourage < with great patience and careful instruction.
    >
    > AIM: Crucifyself03

    the nikon line of point and shoot cameras have a very good reputation for
    macro ability.
    I have an old 995 that will focus at less than an inch I think. Its only 3.2
    megapixels but takes awesome pics provided you have an adequate light
    source. You will find that is one of point and shoots downfalls, they do not
    take good pics in low light
    HTH.
    Mike

    rwesurfn, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Bible John

    Jeremy Guest

    rwesurfn wrote:
    > "Bible John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
    >>shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
    >>a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
    >>mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
    >>have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
    >>shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
    >>and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
    >>missing a step?
    >>
    >>When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
    >>a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
    >>never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
    >>and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
    >>could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
    >>Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
    >>cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
    >>only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
    >>find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
    >>current Vivitar will not do the job.
    >>

    >>Thanks,
    >>

    >>John
    >>
    >>--
    >>CERM- Church Education Resource Ministries
    >>http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
    >>
    >>2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
    >>season and out of season; correct, rebuke
    >>and encourage < with great patience and careful instruction.
    >>
    >>AIM: Crucifyself03

    > the nikon line of point and shoot cameras have a very good reputation for
    > macro ability.
    > I have an old 995 that will focus at less than an inch I think. Its only 3.2
    > megapixels but takes awesome pics provided you have an adequate light
    > source. You will find that is one of point and shoots downfalls, they do not
    > take good pics in low light
    > HTH.
    > Mike

    Ricoh had 2 models with excellent macro modes, the RDC-5000 and the
    RDC-5300. They are readily available on eBay at around $50.00 (2.3 MP)
    Depending upon one's needs, they may be all that is required. They
    both focus to .5 INCH.

    Jeremy, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Jeremy wrote:
    []
    > Ricoh had 2 models with excellent macro modes, the RDC-5000 and the
    > RDC-5300. They are readily available on eBay at around $50.00 (2.3
    > MP) Depending upon one's needs, they may be all that is required. They
    > both focus to .5 INCH.

    On problem with such close focussing is getting light on the subject. The
    recent Panasonic FZ5 has a special long-distance macro mode, where the
    working distance is about 3 feet with its 432mm lens.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Bible John

    Jeremy Guest

    Bible John wrote:
    > I have a Vivitar Vivicam 3625 2.1MP camera. Its great for outdoor still
    > shots. However if I wanted to become a night photographer I would need
    > a better camera. Well anyways my question is in regards to the macro
    > mode of the camera. I am wishing to perhaps take shots of insects. I
    > have seen some great insect pictures, and do not know if taking such
    > shots is possible with my camera. I have set the camera to macro mode
    > and pointed at the insect, but the shots came out poor. Perhaps I am
    > missing a step?
    >
    > When I worked as a photographer at a parachurch ministry, I was assigned
    > a very nice Olympus camera, which was essential for the job. My Vivitar
    > never would have been able to take the shots I needed in the conditions,
    > and outside angles that I had to work with. I know that this camera
    > could have taken great insect shots without being in Macro Mode.
    > Perhaps the insect shots I often see on the web are from those using
    > cameras like this? Since this job was during the summer of 2004, and
    > only 4 MP, perhaps the price of it has drasticly declined and I could
    > find it on ebay for q low price. But only if it can be proven that my
    > current Vivitar will not do the job.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > John

    If you are looking for a digital camera with an excellent macro
    capability, may I recommend that you seek out a Ricoh RDC-5300 on eBay?
    I bought it new in 2000 for $699, and I bought a backup a few months
    ago, in mint condition, for about $60.00.

    It has a "Super Macro" setting that allows you to focus as close as half
    an INCH from the subject. Of course, at that distance, it may be
    difficult to keep the camera's shadow from blocking most of the light,
    but you are not required to get that close to the subject.

    Here is a review:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/rdc5300.html

    Jeremy, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Bible John

    Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:01:11 GMT, Jeremy <> wrote:

    > If you are looking for a digital camera with an excellent macro
    > capability, may I recommend that you seek out a Ricoh RDC-5300 on eBay?
    > I bought it new in 2000 for $699, and I bought a backup a few months
    > ago, in mint condition, for about $60.00.
    >
    > It has a "Super Macro" setting that allows you to focus as close as half
    > an INCH from the subject. Of course, at that distance, it may be
    > difficult to keep the camera's shadow from blocking most of the light,
    > but you are not required to get that close to the subject.

    Check the new Canon S2 IS. It has a Super Macro mode that allows the subject to actually *TOUCH*
    the lens!

    , Aug 25, 2005
  9. Bible John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:01:11 GMT, Jeremy <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you are looking for a digital camera with an excellent macro
    >> capability, may I recommend that you seek out a Ricoh RDC-5300 on eBay?
    >> I bought it new in 2000 for $699, and I bought a backup a few months
    >> ago, in mint condition, for about $60.00.
    >>
    >> It has a "Super Macro" setting that allows you to focus as close as half
    >> an INCH from the subject. Of course, at that distance, it may be
    >> difficult to keep the camera's shadow from blocking most of the light,
    >> but you are not required to get that close to the subject.

    > Check the new Canon S2 IS. It has a Super Macro mode that allows the subject to actually *TOUCH*
    > the lens!

    Probably not a good idea. Not much improvement possible over that macro
    range, is there? Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Bible John

    Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:42:12 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > > Check the new Canon S2 IS. It has a Super Macro mode that allows the subject to actually *TOUCH*
    > > the lens!
    > >

    > Probably not a good idea. Not much improvement possible over that macro
    > range, is there? Grin.

    But it is a good boasting point. ;-)

    , Aug 26, 2005