    of insects, plants and wildflowers. Nikon has several macro lenses to
    choose from but I am not sure which one to purchase. What would you
    recommend.

    robert thoman, Sep 15, 2003

  2. For three dimensional subjects, a longer focal length macro lens is
    more useful. The 105mm and 200mm Micro-Nikkors are fantastic .. I used
    to have the 200/4 ED-IF when I was using Nikon manual focus SLR bodies,
    it was spectacular for these kinds of subjects.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 15, 2003

  3. robert thoman

    JK Guest

    The answer depends on how much magnification you want. If you want
    great levels of magnification(such as with an insect), then a 50mm
    macro lens and extension tubes would be good. For greater working
    distances you could use a 100mm macro lens plus perhaps extension tubes
    and or a high quality two element diopter. I suggest that you start with
    a 50mm macro lens, then see if you need a 100mm macro lens as well.

    JK, Sep 16, 2003
  4. robert thoman

    Warren Jones Guest

    The Sigma EX 105mm Macro does a good job. Insect photography benefits from
    longer than 50mm

    Warren Jones, Sep 16, 2003
  5. robert thoman

    J.D. Parker Guest

    You'll find that the 60 micro is great with the 1.5x multiplier: it is
    OK for film. It is easily one of the sharpest Nikon lenses.
    (comparable to the 180mm)

    Jonathan

    J.D. Parker, Sep 16, 2003
  6. robert thoman

    John R. Guest

    Congrats on your new purchase! Hope you enjoy the D100!

    I must give a pretty hearty "second" to Warren Jones' reply. After
    balking at the cost of the very fine micro Nikkors, I opted for the
    Sigma 105 EX and have been quite pleased with it. Often, I'll attach a
    1.4x teleconverter and I've gotten some interesting "in-the-face"
    insect shots.

    Here is a sample of a praying mantis:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/macpurity/Insects/pages/PrMantis2.htm

    There have been some occasions when I had wished I had a 180 or 200mm
    macro. One can get a little deeper depth of field with a longer macro,
    and there is less need to crowd your subjects.

    Of course, not only is having a tack-sharp lens important, but also
    finding the proper mount and head. I have found that the combination of
    a Gitzo Explorer 2220 tripod and a Manfrotto 3275 geared head has
    worked well. The geared head has been invaluable for making the fine
    tune adjustments required in macro and close-up work.

    Good luck - JR

    John R., Sep 16, 2003