Macro lens for Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by crazylikedat, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. crazylikedat

    crazylikedat Guest

    Hi all. Just starting a new journey in digital photography after years
    of film (I am by no means a pro.) I see that since I can take a good
    picture with my old manual Nikon FE2 using digital is a breeze!!!
    (learning on the old relic forced me to learn camera basics and I would
    recommend learning that way to anyone!) I don't think anyone could take
    a bad photo with this camera. I smile at all the film I won't be
    wasting!!!

    My question.... I want to be able to take ultra close up photos. I
    have only the two lenses that I bought with my camera - a 28-70 mm and
    a 70-300mm. I am looking to buy a macro lense for close ups and notice
    that they are quite expensive (I spent my "allowance" on my D70 and
    lenses) Do any of you have any suggestions on a good macro lens at a
    decent price and/or a quality camera dealer on line? Is there any way
    to create more close ups with the lenses I already have?

    Happy shooting!!!

    Tanya

    crazylikedat, Feb 20, 2005

  2. crazylikedat

    Sheldon Guest

    "crazylikedat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all. Just starting a new journey in digital photography after years
    > of film (I am by no means a pro.) I see that since I can take a good
    > picture with my old manual Nikon FE2 using digital is a breeze!!!
    > (learning on the old relic forced me to learn camera basics and I would
    > recommend learning that way to anyone!) I don't think anyone could take
    > a bad photo with this camera. I smile at all the film I won't be
    > wasting!!!
    >
    > My question.... I want to be able to take ultra close up photos. I
    > have only the two lenses that I bought with my camera - a 28-70 mm and
    > a 70-300mm. I am looking to buy a macro lense for close ups and notice
    > that they are quite expensive (I spent my "allowance" on my D70 and
    > lenses) Do any of you have any suggestions on a good macro lens at a
    > decent price and/or a quality camera dealer on line? Is there any way
    > to create more close ups with the lenses I already have?
    >
    > Happy shooting!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    IMHO I would be thinking used. If you are willing to give up the metering
    and autofocus in your camera you should be able to find used Nikon macro
    lenses to fit your camera. My old 55mm Macro lens works great on my D70,
    and the other popular lens was a Nikon 105mm Macro.

    Other options are close-up lenses that attach like filters to the lenses you
    already have, and extension rings that fit between the lens and the camera,
    extending the focus. Whatever you get, make sure it's compatible with your
    D70. While you may lose some functions, you will still get stunning images
    and can check exposures instantly after taking the photo.

    Remember, you have a lot of options. I'm just trying to get you the best
    image for your bucks. And make sure that 70-300 doesn't have a macro
    setting on it already. Many do.

    Sheldon, Feb 20, 2005

  3. crazylikedat

    crazylikedat Guest

    Hmmmm...as it goes to show I have a lot to learn about the new world of
    digital. Do the lenses that fit my FE2 work in manual for the D70? I
    have a ton of them and had planned to put the most of them on Ebay
    (keeping the FE2 body and a couple of lenses to teach my offspring)
    since attempting to put them on the D70 seemed to risky if doing so
    could cause any damage. The whole CPU thing terrifies me!!! What can
    and cannot go onto the D70? I have the whole gammat of equipment for
    the FE2 including extension rings.

    Thanks for your reply!!

    Tanya

    crazylikedat, Feb 20, 2005
  4. crazylikedat

    Jim Guest

    > Hmmmm...as it goes to show I have a lot to learn about the new world of
    > digital. Do the lenses that fit my FE2 work in manual for the D70? I
    > have a ton of them and had planned to put the most of them on Ebay
    > (keeping the FE2 body and a couple of lenses to teach my offspring)
    > since attempting to put them on the D70 seemed to risky if doing so
    > could cause any damage. The whole CPU thing terrifies me!!! What can
    > and cannot go onto the D70? I have the whole gammat of equipment for
    > the FE2 including extension rings.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply!!
    >
    > Tanya

    All AI and AI-S lenses will work in Manual mode with the D70. The
    electronic rangefinder in the D70 will work with the lenses if the maximum
    stop is bigger than 5.6.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 20, 2005
  5. crazylikedat

    Roy Guest

    Hi there. So you are moving from an FE2 to a D70, well I have just moved
    from an FE to a D70. Your old lenses will fit on, but see the little table
    in the D70 Users Guide for the few which can not be used.

    They will focus manually and you will get Focus Confirmation in the
    Viewfinder, but there will be no Metering of any kind, and the DoF Preview
    will not work. The biggest restriction is the absence of a Cable Release. I
    know there is an IR remote, but it only has 2 settings and neither will be
    of much use.

    But someone who is used to a Manual Camera, will be able to cope with those
    restrictions, and in Macro Work you can take your time.

    Roy G

    Roy, Feb 20, 2005
  6. crazylikedat

    Sheldon Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "crazylikedat" <> wrote in message
    >> Hmmmm...as it goes to show I have a lot to learn about the new world of
    >> digital. Do the lenses that fit my FE2 work in manual for the D70? I
    >> have a ton of them and had planned to put the most of them on Ebay
    >> (keeping the FE2 body and a couple of lenses to teach my offspring)
    >> since attempting to put them on the D70 seemed to risky if doing so
    >> could cause any damage. The whole CPU thing terrifies me!!! What can
    >> and cannot go onto the D70? I have the whole gammat of equipment for
    >> the FE2 including extension rings.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply!!
    >>
    >> Tanya

    > All AI and AI-S lenses will work in Manual mode with the D70. The
    > electronic rangefinder in the D70 will work with the lenses if the maximum
    > stop is bigger than 5.6.
    > Jim

    Also, most pre AI lenses can be converted to AI for a reasonable fee. I
    think there is only one type of Nikon lens that will absolutely not work
    with the D70, and there are a few lenses that fit so far back into the
    camera body they will damage the innards. Check your manual, or call Nikon
    (customer support is great). There is a list of lenses that will work with
    the D70, and what features will work and which won't with these lenses.
    Worst case scenario you will have to focus manually, and use a handheld
    meter or guess (sunny 16 rule and all that).

    The whole reason I got the D70 was because of the gaggle of Nikon lenses I
    already had. I knew I would lose some of the auto features, but I figured
    I'd be using the kit lens most of the time, and the other lenses I have work
    just fine. (You do get spoiled pretty quickly by autofocus, I must
    confess.)

    Sheldon, Feb 20, 2005
  7. crazylikedat

    Rick Rieger Guest

    > Hi all. Just starting a new journey in digital photography after years
    > of film (I am by no means a pro.) I see that since I can take a good
    > picture with my old manual Nikon FE2 using digital is a breeze!!!
    > (learning on the old relic forced me to learn camera basics and I would
    > recommend learning that way to anyone!) I don't think anyone could take
    > a bad photo with this camera. I smile at all the film I won't be
    > wasting!!!
    >
    > My question.... I want to be able to take ultra close up photos. I
    > have only the two lenses that I bought with my camera - a 28-70 mm and
    > a 70-300mm. I am looking to buy a macro lense for close ups and notice
    > that they are quite expensive (I spent my "allowance" on my D70 and
    > lenses) Do any of you have any suggestions on a good macro lens at a
    > decent price and/or a quality camera dealer on line? Is there any way
    > to create more close ups with the lenses I already have?
    >
    > Happy shooting!!!
    >
    > Tanya

    Why don't you use your existing 70-300 zoom and add a two-element close up
    filter such as the Nikon 5T or Nikon 6T. These are high quality close up
    attachments in 62mm filter size and are meant for telephoto lenses. They
    cost around $45 to $50 each. The 5T is a 1.5 diopter filter, and the 6T is
    a 2.9 diopter filter. I have used them stacked. I have also used them on a
    80-200 f/2.8 lens with 77mm filter size and not seen any vignetting. They
    have produced great quality with many lenses that I've tried them on,
    including my son's 70-300 AF Nikkor.

    Rick R.

    Rick Rieger, Feb 21, 2005