    but I'm afraid of not being able to get the macro to work on that one,
    either!

    , Feb 11, 2006

  2. Tony Cooper Guest

    On 11 Feb 2006 12:33:11 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, Everyone.
    >
    >I'm trying to use my Vivitar Vivicam 4100 (4MP) to take pictures of my
    >coins to sell them on Ebay. The camera has a macro switch, but I have
    >yet to get a picture out of the camera that's clear. Everything I take
    >looks way too blurry. Can anyone share with me the settings in the
    >menu you have to set to take decent macro pictures? Any help would be
    >appreciated. If I can't figure this out, I might go for an 8MP camera,
    >but I'm afraid of not being able to get the macro to work on that one,
    >either!

    Not an answer to your question, but the answer to your problem is a
    scanner. Even a cheap scanner produces better pictures of coins with
    less time and effort than a camera. Someone who knows what they are
    doing, with the proper lighting, can do a good job with a camera, but
    you aren't that person or you wouldn't be posting the question.

    If you are thinking of replacing your camera with a better one for
    just this purpose, then think instead of a buying a scanner. Trawl
    through the newsgroup rec.collecting.coins and open some of the links
    to scans of coins. You'll be impressed.

    And, yes, I sell coins on eBay. The only time I use my camera is when
    I'm photographing a slabbed coin and the reflected light from the
    scanner creates hot spots on the slab. I scan the coins for detailed
    images before I send them out to be slabbed.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    Thanks for the response. As luck would have it, I just bought a
    replacement printer for one that just broke. Should've gone for the
    printer/scanner. (D'oh!!)

    , Feb 12, 2006
  4. Guest

    I think I have the blurriness problem almost fixed. There's a lot more
    detail in this pic:

    http://home.comcast.net/~bhartman24/gooddollar.jpg

    There's still a hell of a lot of pixelation, though. I might need to
    adjust the distance with the camera.

    , Feb 12, 2006
  5. Tony Cooper Guest

    On 12 Feb 2006 08:17:44 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I think I have the blurriness problem almost fixed. There's a lot more
    >detail in this pic:
    >
    >http://home.comcast.net/~bhartman24/gooddollar.jpg
    >
    >There's still a hell of a lot of pixelation, though. I might need to
    >adjust the distance with the camera.

    I scanned a $20 gold piece and came up with:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/gold20B.jpg

    Both of our images are 540 x 540, but mine is 111.8kb and yours is
    203.1kb. I just slapped the coin on the scanner bed, stuck a sheet of
    red construction paper over, and hit "scan". With good lighting, and
    using the macro setting on my camera, I can get a better image but it
    would take a great deal more time and effort.

    The scanner I used for this is a very cheap scanner/printer
    combo...$49 after rebate. I have a better scanner that I haul out for
    more detailed images, but the combo unit takes up less deskspace.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Guest

    Great pic (and coin)! I guess a scanner's gonna be next on my list.

    , Feb 12, 2006