    Does it add a little lens behind the current lens ?

    Thanks.
    , Oct 22, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I've got a old digital camera (Fuji A201), and it has a "macro" button which
    > makes the camera able to work at ~ 30 cm, rather than 1 m minimum.
    >
    > What does it do ?
    > Does it add a little lens behind the current lens ?

    I've wondered about that (most cameras have it). My guess is that it
    just tells the AF system that it's ok to focus real close. Otherwise
    the AF could get quite confused with more distant subjects, and spend
    longer hunting around.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 22, 2006

  3. JohnR66 Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > writes:
    >> I've got a old digital camera (Fuji A201), and it has a "macro" button
    >> which
    >> makes the camera able to work at ~ 30 cm, rather than 1 m minimum.
    >>
    >> What does it do ?
    >> Does it add a little lens behind the current lens ?

    > I've wondered about that (most cameras have it). My guess is that it
    > just tells the AF system that it's ok to focus real close. Otherwise
    > the AF could get quite confused with more distant subjects, and spend
    > longer hunting around.

    It is probably that, plus the lens on many cameras will be locked at wide
    angle setting where it is probably optimized for the extra close focusing.
    John
    JohnR66, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    >> What does it do ?
    >> Does it add a little lens behind the current lens ?

    > I've wondered about that (most cameras have it). My guess is that it
    > just tells the AF system that it's ok to focus real close. Otherwise
    > the AF could get quite confused with more distant subjects, and spend
    > longer hunting around.

    Might be true on an AF system, but my Fuji A201 is fixed focus... yet it still
    has the macro button...
    , Oct 24, 2006