Mack Warranty for Canon S80

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Aug 2, 2006

  2. In article <>, Chris
    <> wrote:

    > I just purchased a refurbished Canon S80. I saw an offer for a 5 year
    > warranty from a company called "Mack". Never heard of them and I'm
    > wondering if anyone has any experience with them or can speak of their
    > credibility. The deal seems too good to be true(and you know what that
    > means all to often!): 5 years for $3

    Mack is credible. They're big in the extended warranty business, and
    have been at it a LONG time. I sold their services back in the 70's and
    80's and I know the owner personally.

    First question, how credible is this reseller? Seems odd to offer a
    service contract through eBay, and the Mack warranties are not model
    specific - it wouldn't be a warranty for a "Canon Powershot" it would
    be a "5 Year Still Digital Warranty (Under $1,000)"

    Second question is, do you really want an extended warranty? Now that
    I'm out of the business, I'll tell you they're enormously profitable
    for the dealer; that is, on the average, consumer repair costs are far
    less than the warranty price.
    Scott Schuckert, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:52:59 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Chris
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I just purchased a refurbished Canon S80. I saw an offer for a 5 year
    >> warranty from a company called "Mack". Never heard of them and I'm
    >> wondering if anyone has any experience with them or can speak of their
    >> credibility. The deal seems too good to be true(and you know what that
    >> means all to often!): 5 years for $3

    >Mack is credible. They're big in the extended warranty business, and
    >have been at it a LONG time. I sold their services back in the 70's and
    >80's and I know the owner personally.
    >
    >First question, how credible is this reseller? Seems odd to offer a
    >service contract through eBay, and the Mack warranties are not model
    >specific - it wouldn't be a warranty for a "Canon Powershot" it would
    >be a "5 Year Still Digital Warranty (Under $1,000)"
    >
    >Second question is, do you really want an extended warranty? Now that
    >I'm out of the business, I'll tell you they're enormously profitable
    >for the dealer; that is, on the average, consumer repair costs are far
    >less than the warranty price.

    Usually I don't bother with warranties, but since I bought a
    refurbished camera, I was looking for a little bit of extra security.
    Do you think I'm being paranoid?
    Chris, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Chris

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:35:51 GMT, Chris <> wrote:

    >Usually I don't bother with warranties, but since I bought a
    >refurbished camera, I was looking for a little bit of extra security.
    >Do you think I'm being paranoid?

    Good question!
    Here's how I decide that:
    What would be the downside to the device going bad? (cost to replace,
    annoyance, loss of use, add your own here)
    What will a warranty do to lesson those downsides? If the cost of the
    warranty is equal or less in value to lessening the downsides, then
    the warranty is worth it.
    Of course, all warranties are really bets: you're betting the device
    will fail.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 2, 2006
  5. In article <>, Chris
    <> wrote:

    > Usually I don't bother with warranties, but since I bought a
    > refurbished camera, I was looking for a little bit of extra security.
    > Do you think I'm being paranoid?

    Hmm. My experience has been that (factory) refurbished gear is less
    likely to fail than new, as it's been given personal attention rather
    than the standard assembly-line inspection.

    As the other writer mentioned, you have to think of the consequences of
    the item failing. To me, the only time buying a warranty actually makes
    sense is if you'd suffer an economic loss if the camera should fail at
    a time when you don't have the money to fix it. An impoverished working
    pro, perhaps.

    OTOH, there's always the voodoo theory: The camera KNOWS you have a
    warranty, and therefore refuses to break, making you feel stupid...
    Scott Schuckert, Aug 3, 2006