    A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    good?

    Thanks

    Beach Runner, Jul 8, 2006

  2. On 7/8/06 8:44 AM, Beach Runner posted the following:
    > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > good?

    Good for what?

    You might want to try rec.trucks or somesuch. Or a computer Mac group.

    Otherwise, be specific if it pertains to photog.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > On 7/8/06 8:44 AM, Beach Runner posted the following:
    > > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > > good?
    > >

    > Good for what?
    >
    > You might want to try rec.trucks or somesuch. Or a computer Mac group.
    >
    > Otherwise, be specific if it pertains to photog.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    A LOT of the mail order companies off these warranties. A very
    legitimate questions,
    since so many companies offer it.

    For example Abe's offers it

    http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct~id~mcewd3500c70.htm

    Mack Extended 3 Year Warranty For Digital Cameras

    Abe's Price: $69.99

    Manufacturer Part# 1012
    Availability: Available

    Our Knowledgeable and Friendly Sales Staff are here to help you!
    Call Now Toll Free: 1-800-992-2237. (store hours)
    All products include every manufacturer supplied accessory and USA
    Warranty unless stated otherwise.

    3 Year Still Digital Warranty (Under $500) This warranty covers all
    parts and labor for three (3) years from date of purchase. The
    equipment will be guaranteed to operate properly according to manufa...
    Full Product Description

    3 Year Still Digital Warranty (Under $500) This warranty covers all
    parts and labor for three (3) years from date of purchase. The
    equipment will be guaranteed to operate properly according to
    manufacturer's specifications or we shall repair equipment to operate
    properly at no charge to you, (this includes all parts and labor). Such
    service, repair or adjustment of this equipment is assured the original
    purchaser only. This warranty does not cover equipment which has been
    misused, tampered with, modified or damaged as a result of accident,
    liquid, grit, impact or lack of proper care as indicated in the manual
    of operations. Accessories not covered: flashes, batteries, power
    adapter, digital media, software, LCD (non-Manufacture defects), lens,
    and additional accessories, other expenses or consequential damages.
    This limited warranty is transferable on listed equipment for a $15.00
    fee.

    In the event that this equipment requires any repairs or service, it
    must be delivered post paid with warranty #, the owner's name and
    address, dated sales invoice and description of difficulties
    encountered to Mack Camera & Video Service, 200 Morris Ave.,
    Springfield, N.J. 07081 along with a check for 10.00 to cover shipping
    and handling in the Continental US (cost for overseas shipping to be
    determined).

    Call 973-467-2291 or 800-252-MACK (outside of N.J.) for a U.P.S. Call
    Tag to be issued. For International Inquiries, contact

    Beach Runner, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Beach Runner

    Ed Velez Guest

    Never mind what John stated, obviously the IQ of a squirrel, all nuts and no
    brains. (Anyone who is someone who reads the photo newsgroups has heard of
    MACK)

    Mack Camera in Springfield NJ is the firm that handles the out of
    manufacturer warranties. Usually once your manu. warranty expires, you are
    paying the $$. What MACK does is to offer extended warranties such that if
    you have an issue lets say 3 years later, you can get it over to them and
    they will handle it either on site or will send it out for repair with no
    cost to you other than the cost of the warranty card that you purchased.
    The cost of the extended warranty is usually based on price of the item
    being warranted. I purchased their warranties for my Canon 20D and the
    lens. I believe the lens is for 7 years. Cant recall what the camera
    extended plan was. Since I only live about 35 minutes from Springfield NJ I
    can always drop it off to them if I have a problem. I also live about 5
    minutes from the Canon repair facility so if under the normal warranty
    something goes wrong, I can drop it off there.

    I had to use the warranty on my iPAQ PDA a few years back and they honored
    the warranty without a problem. Had it back within 2 weeks.

    Ed Velez, Jul 8, 2006
  5. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    Ed Velez wrote:
    > Never mind what John stated, obviously the IQ of a squirrel, all nuts and no
    > brains. (Anyone who is someone who reads the photo newsgroups has heard of
    > MACK)

    I've bought 3rd party car (Honor Guard) warranties from my Mittsubishi
    Dealer
    (Space Coast Mittsubishi) and they didn't want to do the work for the
    the warranty.
    I've also known "tricky" warranties, such as USA warranty, which
    sounded like you
    were getting an original warranty, but it was just a company called USA
    warranty.

    I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.

    I bought my parents a computer from Tiger, and they wouldn't do ****.

    So, it's worth checking.

    Beach Runner, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Beach Runner

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Beach Runner wrote:

    > I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.
    >
    > I bought my parents a computer from Tiger, and they wouldn't do ****.
    >
    > So, it's worth checking.

    Agreed, some "extended" warranties aren't worth the paper they're
    printed on, and I rarely recommend them. However, for a high-end
    camera, a Mack warranty appears to be worth it.

    I too am near their Springfield NJ location, and a friend of mine from
    Colorado once shipped their broken Canon 20D to me to take to Mack
    Camera (this was non-warranty work). Primarily so that I could scope
    the place out and see if it was up to snuff.

    The place was quite real, the people seemed very professional and seemed
    to know what they were doing, the estimate was quick and seemed
    reasonable enough, and the camera was serviced quickly and promptly. In
    fact, a dSLR purchase is in my near future, and B&H has the 5 year
    warranty for the camera body I'm eyeing at $69.99. I think I'm getting it.

    They also have a web site. And I know web sites aren't very good
    indicators, but there isn't any other extended warranty company I know
    of that has any sort of respectable web presence as these guys:

    http://www.mackcam.com/

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Jul 8, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    Beach Runner <> wrote:

    > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > good?

    I know the management at Mack personally; and (back when I was in the
    business) was one of the first dealers to offer Mack warranties - back
    in the 70's!

    As a consumer, I have some problems with the extended warranty concept;
    statistically, the average cost of repairs per customer MUST be less
    than the warranty cost. As a dealer, they were a nice bit of extra
    profit. They make sense in situations where you must have the camera
    available, but may not be able to afford a repair - an impoverished
    working pro, perhaps?

    Mack does the extended warranty thing at least as well as anyone in the
    industry; they're pretty good! I've been away from it for a while, but
    the only real issues I've heard were from people sending their cameras
    in from overseas. That could have been caused by communication issues,
    though.

    Scott Schuckert, Jul 9, 2006
  8. Beach Runner

    wilt Guest

    Beach Runner wrote:
    > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > good?
    >
    > Thanks

    An 'extended warranty' is merely like having insurance policy for your
    home. The insurance company is 'betting' that most homeowners do not
    have claims, and that the relatively small number of claims are of
    lower total value than the premiums paid by everyone else. You, on the
    other hand, are 'betting' that something will go wrong, and the value
    of the payout will be much greater than the premium paid by you.

    Same for cameras extended warranties! In the case of camera extended
    service plan, it seems the premium paid is more reasonable than the one
    my washer/drier manufacturer is offering me...in three years of
    premiums I will have PAID FOR and entire replacement! The Mack
    premiums certainly are far far under the cost of buying a new
    replacement camera!

    Mack warranty...Is it 'worth it'...you have to decide. They seem to be
    reputable.

    wilt, Jul 9, 2006
  9. On 7/8/06 12:41 PM, Ed Velez posted the following:
    > Never mind what John stated, obviously the IQ of a squirrel, all nuts and no
    > brains. (Anyone who is someone who reads the photo newsgroups has heard of
    > MACK)

    I may be nobody, but I have been here for years, and while Mack may have
    been mentioned, I am pretty sure it's not been the topic of any
    intelligent thread for some time. [As 15 go to Google to prove me wrong....]

    In any event, I don't use extended warranties, nor extra coverage for
    anything but laptops, fwiw.

    And I don't top post sniping little sophomoric remarks to folks I've not
    corresponding with on usenet. Those I bottom post, as here.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jul 9, 2006
  10. Beach Runner

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Beach Runner wrote:

    > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > good?

    There is BIG money selling these extended warranties. That's why
    they're so popular.

    Basically you're buying insurance.

    Like any insurance company, they work on percentages. There are more
    people who NEVER use the warranty than there are people who do.

    If this weren't true, Mack (and companies offering similar schemes) would
    go broke :)

    Personally, I never bother with extended warranties. I've never regretted
    it despite the fact I buy lots of high tech toys :)

    Jim Townsend, Jul 10, 2006
  11. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > Beach Runner wrote:
    >

    > > A lot of these mail order shops sell Mack Warranties. Are they any
    > > good?

    > There is BIG money selling these extended warranties. That's why
    > they're so popular.
    >
    > Basically you're buying insurance.
    >
    > Like any insurance company, they work on percentages. There are more
    > people who NEVER use the warranty than there are people who do.
    >
    > If this weren't true, Mack (and companies offering similar schemes) would
    > go broke :)
    >
    > Personally, I never bother with extended warranties. I've never regretted
    > it despite the fact I buy lots of high tech toys :)

    Obviously, they wouldn't sell them unless they made money on them.

    Consumer reports recommends against buying most extended warrenties.

    However, there is the concept of volume. They can do repairs far more
    cheaply
    than we can.

    Beach Runner, Jul 10, 2006
  12. Beach Runner

    Ed Velez Guest

    My take on it, as with most of the posters here, is that it is an insurance
    policy and needs to be considered as such. If you spend $3K on a high end
    DSLR and use it every day, you run a better chance that something will
    eventually go wrong. If you are the type that babies the camera and only
    uses it occasionally, from a value or $$ perspective, its probably not in
    your best interest to have the extra coverage.

    In the 20D scenario, I believe its $99 for a 3 year plan and if you already
    paid $1300 or so on the body, is $99 that much more? All depends on how deep
    your pockets are or your credit card for that matter.

    If you read the newsgroups and photo forums like dpreview, you can also get
    an idea on the failure rate of the camera body just by reading what issues
    folks have with their cameras. In some cases they are protected under the
    warranty and if it should ever happen to you, you're covered.

    Ed Velez, Jul 11, 2006