    wondering is, is there a way to use an external monitor with these
    machines?

    Cheers
    Kiwiboy, Nov 4, 2007

  2. Kiwiboy

    David Empson Guest

    Kiwiboy <> wrote:

    > I have a Macintosh Performa 5200 CD with the TV card included. When I
    > start it, it boots up, but the monitor appears to be dead. What I am
    > wondering is, is there a way to use an external monitor with these
    > machines?

    There is apparently an optional DA-15 external video connector for that
    model. Have a look on the back for a fifteen pin D-shaped connector with
    two rows of pins. If you can't see it, you probably need an adapter
    cable to go from an internal connector, and that would be specific to
    the Performa/PowerMac 5xxx/6xxx series and probably impossible to get
    new.

    This would let you connect an old standard Mac monitor to it (with a
    DA-15 plug).

    It might work with a VGA monitor given the right adapter, but they are
    somewhat hard to find these days (I have three, and need them all).

    Older Mac models don't support multi-scan monitors (only fixed
    resolution) but judging by the age of that model (May 1995 to April
    1996) it should be new enough to at least support 640x480 and 800x600 on
    a VGA/SVGA monitor, probably higher.

    If you don't have any luck, your best option is to replace the computer.
    You can pextract the hard drive from that one and use it in a similar
    vintage model, but note that it uses IDE whereas the "professional"
    models around that time used SCSI internally.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 5, 2007

  3. Kiwiboy <> wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Macintosh Performa 5200 CD with the TV card included. When I
    > start it, it boots up, but the monitor appears to be dead. What I am
    > wondering is, is there a way to use an external monitor with these
    > machines?
    >
    > Cheers

    Ugg. One of the worst Macs ever made. Not surprising given it came out
    during the dark days at Apple before Jobs came back.

    Have a look on <http://lowendmac.com/ppc/5200.shtml> and
    <http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_5
    200cd.html> for more info. The specs mention "one video I/O slot", so if
    you can find the right card you should be able to add an external
    monitor. Quite why you'd bother is another question. This really is an
    awful Mac model. I suggest buying an old G3 Mac and install MacOS 8.6 or
    9 if you want a good classic Mac to run old apps. They're cheap on
    TradeMe.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 5, 2007