    There is no pattern to what software she's using when it happens - it seems
    random. I have turned off the Automatically Restart in control panel>system.

    Can anyone offer a diagnosis & solution?

    Frank, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Frank

    Ghostrider Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > WinXP Home
    >
    > My daughter is experiencing unexplainable blue screen crashes and the
    > machine automatically reboots.
    > The error message is not on for long enough to read, but she did catch a
    > glimpse of part of the message, "machine_check_exception" .
    > There is no pattern to what software she's using when it happens - it seems
    > random. I have turned off the Automatically Restart in control panel>system.
    >
    > Can anyone offer a diagnosis & solution?

    This is one of the more complex problems to solve. What is
    the CPU? If it is an intel, re-post in comp.sys.intel along
    with the top 4 or 5 lines of the BSOD stop error message.
    Someone might take the time to decipher it. OTOH, download
    the Volume 3 of the Intel Architecture Software Developers
    Manual. The deciphering and error is explained in Chapter 13.
    Hae fun.

    Ghostrider, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    STOP: 0x0000009C (parameter, parameter, parameter,
    parameter) MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/1252.asp

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:42:22 -0400, in
    <Oycic.37797$>
    Frank scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    She's using WinXP Home not 2000.
    No new hardware has been installed.
    No hardware conflicts in Device Manager.

    --
    xx

    Frank, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Frank

    °Mike° Guest

    It's an NT bases OS -- the same still applies
    to Windows XP. Follow the recommendations
    on that page, re. Windows loaded, no new
    hardware added, etc.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:18:18 -0400, in
    <KYdic.39041$>
    Frank scrawled:

    °Mike°, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    The instructions don't take me to a solution:
    That machine just crashed on me and when it rebooted (automatically despite
    that feature being turned off in Control Panel>System) the message was "you
    have recovered
    from a serious error:
    BC Code:9c BCP1:00000000 BCP2: 8005366FO BCP3:CC0000FF BCP4:20040189
    OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:1_0 Product 768_1

    Does this mean anything to anyone?

    Does anyone know where I can get Dumpchk.exe to read & interpret a minidump
    file?
    It says it logged a file in c:\windows\minidump\mini042304-05.dmp.
    I triedfrom RUN and searching the hard drive - nothing. I tried Google -
    nothing.
    Is it available?
    ---------------------------------
    I ran Memtest- after a few hours it's still going and
    going.........................
    I dont know how to interpret the screen results, or whether it means it
    could be a faulty ram stick?
    I would like to write them up here and see if they make sense to you. The
    display is in 2 lines and is shown horizontally (rows & columns).

    Top Line:
    walltime=3:58:21
    cached=352m
    RsvdMen=20M
    MemMap=e820-std
    cache=on
    ECC=off
    test=Std
    Pass=29
    Errors=16
    Ecc Errs=0

    Second Line:
    Tst=3
    Pass=0
    Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb
    Good=80808080
    Bad=80809080
    Err-bits=0000010
    Cont=161

    (hope I transferred those correctly!) - Does this mean anything to anyone?
    Looking at the Memtest page they say all you can do anyway is swop the ram
    sticks with known-good modules and see if the problem goes away. Is this the
    problem ?

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > The instructions don't take me to a solution:
    > That machine just crashed on me and when it rebooted (automatically
    > despite that feature being turned off in Control Panel>System) the
    > message was "you have recovered
    > from a serious error:
    > BC Code:9c BCP1:00000000 BCP2: 8005366FO BCP3:CC0000FF BCP4:20040189
    > OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:1_0 Product 768_1
    >
    > Does this mean anything to anyone?
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get Dumpchk.exe to read & interpret a
    > minidump file?
    > It says it logged a file in c:\windows\minidump\mini042304-05.dmp.
    > I triedfrom RUN and searching the hard drive - nothing. I tried
    > Google - nothing.
    > Is it available?
    > ---------------------------------
    > I ran Memtest- after a few hours it's still going and
    > going.........................
    > I dont know how to interpret the screen results, or whether it means
    > it could be a faulty ram stick?
    > I would like to write them up here and see if they make sense to you.
    > The display is in 2 lines and is shown horizontally (rows & columns).
    >
    > Top Line:
    > walltime=3:58:21
    > cached=352m
    > RsvdMen=20M
    > MemMap=e820-std
    > cache=on
    > ECC=off
    > test=Std
    > Pass=29
    > Errors=16
    > Ecc Errs=0
    >
    > Second Line:
    > Tst=3
    > Pass=0
    > Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb
    > Good=80808080
    > Bad=80809080
    > Err-bits=0000010
    > Cont=161
    >
    > (hope I transferred those correctly!) - Does this mean anything to
    > anyone? Looking at the Memtest page they say all you can do anyway is
    > swop the ram sticks with known-good modules and see if the problem
    > goes away. Is this the problem ?

    According to Memtest, you have a bad memory location. How much memory
    is in the system, and how many memory modules are in it? If more than
    one, you can remove one, then the other, to determine which module is
    bad.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    --
    xx
    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Frank wrote:
    > > The instructions don't take me to a solution:
    > > That machine just crashed on me and when it rebooted (automatically
    > > despite that feature being turned off in Control Panel>System) the
    > > message was "you have recovered
    > > from a serious error:
    > > BC Code:9c BCP1:00000000 BCP2: 8005366FO BCP3:CC0000FF BCP4:20040189
    > > OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:1_0 Product 768_1
    > >
    > > Does this mean anything to anyone?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know where I can get Dumpchk.exe to read & interpret a
    > > minidump file?
    > > It says it logged a file in c:\windows\minidump\mini042304-05.dmp.
    > > I triedfrom RUN and searching the hard drive - nothing. I tried
    > > Google - nothing.
    > > Is it available?
    > > ---------------------------------
    > > I ran Memtest- after a few hours it's still going and
    > > going.........................
    > > I dont know how to interpret the screen results, or whether it means
    > > it could be a faulty ram stick?
    > > I would like to write them up here and see if they make sense to you.
    > > The display is in 2 lines and is shown horizontally (rows & columns).
    > >
    > > Top Line:
    > > walltime=3:58:21
    > > cached=352m
    > > RsvdMen=20M
    > > MemMap=e820-std
    > > cache=on
    > > ECC=off
    > > test=Std
    > > Pass=29
    > > Errors=16
    > > Ecc Errs=0
    > >
    > > Second Line:
    > > Tst=3
    > > Pass=0
    > > Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb
    > > Good=80808080
    > > Bad=80809080
    > > Err-bits=0000010
    > > Cont=161
    > >
    > > (hope I transferred those correctly!) - Does this mean anything to
    > > anyone? Looking at the Memtest page they say all you can do anyway is
    > > swop the ram sticks with known-good modules and see if the problem
    > > goes away. Is this the problem ?

    > According to Memtest, you have a bad memory location. How much memory
    > is in the system, and how many memory modules are in it? If more than
    > one, you can remove one, then the other, to determine which module is
    > bad.

    There are 2 slots in the machine. One has the original 128mb stick and then
    the other has a stick of 256 DDR pc2100.
    I will remove them one at a time and see. But the problem is that the crash
    is so unpredictable. There's no telling when or how or how often it'll
    happen. I cant prompt it.
    The funny (but not amusing) thing is that I also ranDoc Memory and TuffTest
    Lite and they gave no memory errors ?

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  9. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:

    >> According to Memtest, you have a bad memory location. How much
    >> memory is in the system, and how many memory modules are in it? If
    >> more than one, you can remove one, then the other, to determine
    >> which module is bad.

    > There are 2 slots in the machine. One has the original 128mb stick
    > and then the other has a stick of 256 DDR pc2100.
    > I will remove them one at a time and see. But the problem is that the
    > crash is so unpredictable. There's no telling when or how or how
    > often it'll happen. I cant prompt it.
    > The funny (but not amusing) thing is that I also ranDoc Memory and
    > TuffTest Lite and they gave no memory errors ?

    The best thing to do is to install just one stick of memory, then run
    Memtest to see if the error shows up, then install just the other stick
    and do the same. If one or the other stick has a reproducible error,
    then it's a good bet that's a problem. Not necessarily *the* problem,
    but bad memory can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Further,
    it's possible that the specific type of test Memtest runs will find a
    problem that other tests won't.
    What are the specs of the system (motherboard, CPU, etc.)?

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  10. Frank

    Frank Guest

    --
    xx
    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Frank wrote:
    > >>
    > >> According to Memtest, you have a bad memory location. How much
    > >> memory is in the system, and how many memory modules are in it? If
    > >> more than one, you can remove one, then the other, to determine
    > >> which module is bad.

    > > There are 2 slots in the machine. One has the original 128mb stick
    > > and then the other has a stick of 256 DDR pc2100.
    > > I will remove them one at a time and see. But the problem is that the
    > > crash is so unpredictable. There's no telling when or how or how
    > > often it'll happen. I cant prompt it.
    > > The funny (but not amusing) thing is that I also ranDoc Memory and
    > > TuffTest Lite and they gave no memory errors ?

    > The best thing to do is to install just one stick of memory, then run
    > Memtest to see if the error shows up, then install just the other stick
    > and do the same. If one or the other stick has a reproducible error,
    > then it's a good bet that's a problem. Not necessarily *the* problem,
    > but bad memory can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Further,
    > it's possible that the specific type of test Memtest runs will find a
    > problem that other tests won't.
    > What are the specs of the system (motherboard, CPU, etc.)?

    I will run Memtest again on each of the 2 sticks, separately as you
    describe. Which part of the memtest readout shows that the stick is bad -is
    it Errors=16 on the top line, and/or Bad=80809080 on the bottom line ?
    Top Line:
    walltime=3:58:21
    cached=352m
    RsvdMen=20M
    MemMap=e820-std
    cache=on
    ECC=off
    test=Std
    Pass=29
    Errors=16
    Ecc Errs=0

    Second Line:
    Tst=3
    Pass=0
    Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb
    Good=80808080
    Bad=80809080
    Err-bits=0000010
    Cont=161

    The basic specs according to Aida32 are:
    Celeron 4A, 2433mhz
    Gigabyte GA-85650GXM mobo
    SIS 650GX chipset
    PC2100DDR SDRAM
    XPHome SP!

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  11. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:

    >>> There are 2 slots in the machine. One has the original 128mb stick
    >>> and then the other has a stick of 256 DDR pc2100.
    >>> I will remove them one at a time and see. But the problem is that
    >>> the crash is so unpredictable. There's no telling when or how or how
    >>> often it'll happen. I cant prompt it.
    >>> The funny (but not amusing) thing is that I also ranDoc Memory and
    >>> TuffTest Lite and they gave no memory errors ?

    >> The best thing to do is to install just one stick of memory, then run
    >> Memtest to see if the error shows up, then install just the other
    >> stick and do the same. If one or the other stick has a reproducible
    >> error, then it's a good bet that's a problem. Not necessarily *the*
    >> problem, but bad memory can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
    >> Further, it's possible that the specific type of test Memtest runs
    >> will find a problem that other tests won't.
    >> What are the specs of the system (motherboard, CPU, etc.)?

    > I will run Memtest again on each of the 2 sticks, separately as you
    > describe. Which part of the memtest readout shows that the stick is
    > bad -is it Errors=16 on the top line, and/or Bad=80809080 on the
    > bottom line ?

    > Second Line:

    *Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb*
    Good=80808080
    *Bad = 80809080*
    Err-bits=0000010
    Cont=161

    > The basic specs according to Aida32 are:
    > Celeron 4A, 2433mhz
    > Gigabyte GA-85650GXM mobo
    > SIS 650GX chipset
    > PC2100DDR SDRAM
    > XPHome SP!

    Thanks. If it were an older system, it might have been a problem with
    bad capacitors on the motherboard, but this is a newer system. Another
    possibility is a problem with the power supply if the memory isn't the
    problem.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  12. Frank

    Frank Guest

    --
    xx
    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Frank wrote:

    > >> The best thing to do is to install just one stick of memory, then run
    > >> Memtest to see if the error shows up, then install just the other
    > >> stick and do the same. If one or the other stick has a reproducible
    > >> error, then it's a good bet that's a problem. Not necessarily *the*
    > >> problem, but bad memory can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
    > >> Further, it's possible that the specific type of test Memtest runs
    > >> will find a problem that other tests won't.
    > >> What are the specs of the system (motherboard, CPU, etc.)?

    > > I will run Memtest again on each of the 2 sticks, separately as you
    > > describe. Which part of the memtest readout shows that the stick is
    > > bad -is it Errors=16 on the top line, and/or Bad=80809080 on the
    > > bottom line ?

    > > Second Line:

    > *Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb*
    > Good=80808080
    > *Bad = 80809080*
    > Err-bits=0000010
    > Cont=161
    >
    > > The basic specs according to Aida32 are:
    > > Celeron 4A, 2433mhz
    > > Gigabyte GA-85650GXM mobo
    > > SIS 650GX chipset
    > > PC2100DDR SDRAM
    > > XPHome SP!

    > Thanks. If it were an older system, it might have been a problem with
    > bad capacitors on the motherboard, but this is a newer system. Another
    > possibility is a problem with the power supply if the memory isn't the
    > problem.

    yupp, i will take that on after making sure it isn't one or both of the ram
    sticks. Strange that they would go bad after several months of being just
    fine - is there a reason that can happen to good Ram ?

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  13. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:

    >>> I will run Memtest again on each of the 2 sticks, separately as you
    >>> describe. Which part of the memtest readout shows that the stick is
    >>> bad -is it Errors=16 on the top line, and/or Bad=80809080 on the
    >>> bottom line ?

    >>> Second Line:

    >> *Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb*
    >> Good=80808080
    >> *Bad = 80809080*
    >> Err-bits=0000010
    >> Cont=161
    >>
    >>> The basic specs according to Aida32 are:
    >>> Celeron 4A, 2433mhz
    >>> Gigabyte GA-85650GXM mobo
    >>> SIS 650GX chipset
    >>> PC2100DDR SDRAM
    >>> XPHome SP!

    >> Thanks. If it were an older system, it might have been a problem
    >> with bad capacitors on the motherboard, but this is a newer system.
    >> Another possibility is a problem with the power supply if the memory
    >> isn't the problem.

    > yupp, i will take that on after making sure it isn't one or both of
    > the ram sticks. Strange that they would go bad after several months
    > of being just fine - is there a reason that can happen to good Ram ?

    Well, only one of the sticks appears to be bad. Generally, with
    electronic equipment, especially chips, if its going to fail, it will
    fail within a relatively short period of time. One of the reasons
    memory manufacturers can give "lifetime" warrantees is because if it
    works without problems for a few months, chances are it will run without
    fail for the lifetime of the equipment its in.
    That said, excessive heat, voltage, and/or dirty power can kill it also.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  14. Frank

    Frank Guest

    --
    xx
    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Frank wrote:

    > >> *Failing Address=00014fb65bc - 335.3mb*
    > >> Good=80808080
    > >> *Bad = 80809080*
    > >> Err-bits=0000010
    > >> Cont=161

    > >> Thanks. If it were an older system, it might have been a problem
    > >> with bad capacitors on the motherboard, but this is a newer system.
    > >> Another possibility is a problem with the power supply if the memory
    > >> isn't the problem.

    > > yupp, i will take that on after making sure it isn't one or both of
    > > the ram sticks. Strange that they would go bad after several months
    > > of being just fine - is there a reason that can happen to good Ram ?

    > Well, only one of the sticks appears to be bad. Generally, with
    > electronic equipment, especially chips, if its going to fail, it will
    > fail within a relatively short period of time. One of the reasons
    > memory manufacturers can give "lifetime" warrantees is because if it
    > works without problems for a few months, chances are it will run without
    > fail for the lifetime of the equipment its in.
    > That said, excessive heat, voltage, and/or dirty power can kill it also.

    I ran Memtest86 overnight on individual ram modules, and 1 stick (128) is
    good and the other (256) is bad. Just a thought though, could it be the slot
    and not the ram stick? I could try to verify and run the bad stick in the
    other slot (where the good stick tested good)? If it were to be the slot, is
    that necessarily symptomatic of a bigger issue - like the motherboard and/or
    psu ?

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  15. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:

    >>> yupp, i will take that on after making sure it isn't one or both of
    >>> the ram sticks. Strange that they would go bad after several months
    >>> of being just fine - is there a reason that can happen to good Ram
    >>> ?

    >> Well, only one of the sticks appears to be bad. Generally, with
    >> electronic equipment, especially chips, if its going to fail, it will
    >> fail within a relatively short period of time. One of the reasons
    >> memory manufacturers can give "lifetime" warrantees is because if it
    >> works without problems for a few months, chances are it will run
    >> without fail for the lifetime of the equipment its in.
    >> That said, excessive heat, voltage, and/or dirty power can kill it
    >> also.

    > I ran Memtest86 overnight on individual ram modules, and 1 stick
    > (128) is good and the other (256) is bad. Just a thought though,
    > could it be the slot and not the ram stick? I could try to verify and
    > run the bad stick in the other slot (where the good stick tested
    > good)? If it were to be the slot, is that necessarily symptomatic of
    > a bigger issue - like the motherboard and/or psu ?

    Yes, try it in the other slot to make sure it's the module and not the
    slot. If it follows the module, it's the module, if not, the
    motherboard is at fault and you'll have to replace the motherboard.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  16. Frank

    Frank Guest

    --
    xx
    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Frank wrote:

    > >> Well, only one of the sticks appears to be bad. Generally, with
    > >> electronic equipment, especially chips, if its going to fail, it will
    > >> fail within a relatively short period of time. One of the reasons
    > >> memory manufacturers can give "lifetime" warrantees is because if it
    > >> works without problems for a few months, chances are it will run
    > >> without fail for the lifetime of the equipment its in.
    > >> That said, excessive heat, voltage, and/or dirty power can kill it
    > >> also.

    > > I ran Memtest86 overnight on individual ram modules, and 1 stick
    > > (128) is good and the other (256) is bad. Just a thought though,
    > > could it be the slot and not the ram stick? I could try to verify and
    > > run the bad stick in the other slot (where the good stick tested
    > > good)? If it were to be the slot, is that necessarily symptomatic of
    > > a bigger issue - like the motherboard and/or psu ?

    > Yes, try it in the other slot to make sure it's the module and not the
    > slot. If it follows the module, it's the module, if not, the
    > motherboard is at fault and you'll have to replace the motherboard.

    The same stick was bad in both slots. I've just bought another stick and it
    tests good. So I'm hoping this is the end of the story. Thanks for helping
    me find my way - much appreciated!

    Frank, Apr 24, 2004
  17. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Frank wrote:

    >>> I ran Memtest86 overnight on individual ram modules, and 1 stick
    >>> (128) is good and the other (256) is bad. Just a thought though,
    >>> could it be the slot and not the ram stick? I could try to verify
    >>> and run the bad stick in the other slot (where the good stick tested
    >>> good)? If it were to be the slot, is that necessarily symptomatic of
    >>> a bigger issue - like the motherboard and/or psu ?

    >> Yes, try it in the other slot to make sure it's the module and not
    >> the slot. If it follows the module, it's the module, if not, the
    >> motherboard is at fault and you'll have to replace the motherboard.

    > The same stick was bad in both slots. I've just bought another stick
    > and it tests good. So I'm hoping this is the end of the story. Thanks
    > for helping me find my way - much appreciated!

    Excellent! The symptoms were indicative of bad memory, so that should
    take care of it.
    You're welcome. :)

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004
  18. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Again! Machine_check_exception error ?

    > >> Yes, try it in the other slot to make sure it's the module and not
    > >> the slot. If it follows the module, it's the module, if not, the
    > >> motherboard is at fault and you'll have to replace the motherboard.

    > > The same stick was bad in both slots. I've just bought another stick
    > > and it tests good. So I'm hoping this is the end of the story. Thanks
    > > for helping me find my way - much appreciated!

    > Excellent! The symptoms were indicative of bad memory, so that should
    > take care of it.
    > You're welcome. :)

    You're not gonna want to hear this - well it happened again just now. The
    only thing she's done since I replaced the ram stick that May have anything
    to do with it (but I would think not), is downloaded windows updates after
    she was prompted to do so by the icon in the system tray. Yikes!

    Frank, Apr 25, 2004
  19. Frank

    ICee Guest

    Re: Again! Machine_check_exception error ?

    Frank wrote:
    <snip>

    >>> The same stick was bad in both slots. I've just bought another stick
    >>> and it tests good. So I'm hoping this is the end of the story.
    >>> Thanks for helping me find my way - much appreciated!

    >> Excellent! The symptoms were indicative of bad memory, so that
    >> should take care of it.
    >> You're welcome. :)
    >>

    > You're not gonna want to hear this - well it happened again just now.
    > The only thing she's done since I replaced the ram stick that May
    > have anything to do with it (but I would think not), is downloaded
    > windows updates after she was prompted to do so by the icon in the
    > system tray. Yikes!

    Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, intermittent errors are the most
    difficult to troubleshoot. It could be almost anything in the system,
    from the motherboard to the power supply. At least with the memory, a
    definite error showed up. Since that didn't fix it (don't know why),
    any of the hardware or software *could* be causing it. Before doing
    anything drastic, though, have you checked the system for viruses? I'm
    not familiar with what they do firsthand (never had one), but I have
    seen posts where strange problems were caused by a virus.

    ICee, Apr 25, 2004