Machine with 2 network cards, wireless to internet and crossover cable to laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dimble Dumble, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. Hi, in my main machine I have a wireless card and a standard card.

    The wireless is used to connect to my router and out to internet etc.

    I use the standard card with a crossover cable to hook my laptop up to
    transfer stuff (not to connect to net).

    When I hook up the laptop with the cross over cable the main machine can no
    longer connect to the internet, all traffic seems to go over the standard
    card.

    I have 2 questions based on this

    1. How do I get my main machine to connect to the net when the standard card
    is enabled and laptop is hooked up

    2. How could I allow the laptop to surf the net.

    I can't afford a wirless card for the laptop yet (wife is redecorating) so
    in the intrim have to look at getting this to work

    Cheers

    Dimble Dumble, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dimble Dumble wrote:

    > Hi, in my main machine I have a wireless card and a standard card.
    >
    > The wireless is used to connect to my router and out to internet etc.
    >
    > I use the standard card with a crossover cable to hook my laptop up to
    > transfer stuff (not to connect to net).

    > When I hook up the laptop with the cross over cable the main machine can
    > no longer connect to the internet, all traffic seems to go over the
    > standard card.
    >
    > I have 2 questions based on this
    >
    > 1. How do I get my main machine to connect to the net when the standard
    > card is enabled and laptop is hooked up
    >
    > 2. How could I allow the laptop to surf the net.
    >
    > I can't afford a wirless card for the laptop yet (wife is redecorating) so
    > in the intrim have to look at getting this to work

    You're setting there with a router that will allow machines to transfer
    data/resource share with each other wire to wire, wire to wireless or
    wireless to wire with the router in play, if the O/S on the machines have
    been configured to do it.

    So why is the router only the gateway device for machines to access the
    Internet and is not also the gateway device for your LAN that allows
    resource sharing between machine?

    Why do you need a null cable to connect the machines to xfer data and not
    use the router?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Cheers for the reply, to answer both questions, router is downstairs and
    machines are upstairs

    Dimble Dumble, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Re: Machine with 2 network cards, wireless to internet and crossovercable to laptop

    Dimble Dumble wrote:
    > Cheers for the reply, to answer both questions, router is downstairs and
    > machines are upstairs

    The best solution would be to run a wire from the router to the laptop.
    But if your reasons for not doing that override the reasons for doing
    it, you can use the crossover cable and do internet connection sharing.
    I didn't see where you said you had enabled that. But really, this is
    not a good solution. I know you said you can't afford a wireless card,
    but have you looked at some of the discounted prices lately? Even a
    wireless USB client should work and they're cheaper than PCMCIA cards.
    You can get this device for about £11 including shipping:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?X2DE3394B
    It's 802.11b which is plenty fast enough for the internet. 802.11g isn't
    much more if you need more speed or security.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dimble Dumble wrote:

    > Cheers for the reply, to answer both questions, router is downstairs and
    > machines are upstairs

    Well, why don't you get a CAT 5 cable and take the lop downstairs and plug
    the laptop into the router and setup resource sharing between the machines
    until you such time you come-up with a better solution. One doesn't have to
    have the machines in the same location or attached to each other with a
    null cable to xfer files. That way, you can xfer files and both machines
    can access the Internet at the same time while you're doing the xfer.
    However, the speed of a wireless xfer will be slower than wire to wire.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2005
  6. Dimble Dumble

    FML Guest

    Dimble Dumble wrote:
    > Hi, in my main machine I have a wireless card and a standard card.
    >
    > The wireless is used to connect to my router and out to internet etc.
    >
    > I use the standard card with a crossover cable to hook my laptop up to
    > transfer stuff (not to connect to net).
    >
    > When I hook up the laptop with the cross over cable the main machine can no
    > longer connect to the internet, all traffic seems to go over the standard
    > card.
    >
    > I have 2 questions based on this
    >
    > 1. How do I get my main machine to connect to the net when the standard card
    > is enabled and laptop is hooked up
    >
    > 2. How could I allow the laptop to surf the net.
    >
    > I can't afford a wirless card for the laptop yet (wife is redecorating) so
    > in the intrim have to look at getting this to work
    >
    > Cheers

    Are you sure you can't afford a wifi card for the laptop. I just saw an
    ad in this morning's newspaper for a USB wifi-G adapter for 17.99 (US$)
    and a PCMCIA wifi-G for 14.99 (US$). Pretty inexpensive solution.

    FML, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Cheers for reply, yep running a wire is not an option, it would cross
    multiple doorways and go downstairs.

    Apart from wife going Ape Pooh over the wire going through house, don't
    fancy coming in drunk and after half an hour of navigating/wobbling to bed,
    trippiing and ending up at the bottom again :>)

    If USB adapters have dropped that much then I think I can scrape a tenner.

    Will try ICS in the meantime.

    Dimble Dumble, Jun 19, 2005
  8. Cheers again Duane, see reply to Roger, one might not need machines in the
    same location, unless you have my wife who doesn't want the machines in the
    living room and no cables running around apart form my "play room".

    Dimble Dumble, Jun 19, 2005
  9. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dimble Dumble wrote:

    > Cheers again Duane, see reply to Roger, one might not need machines in the
    > same location, unless you have my wife who doesn't want the machines in
    > the living room and no cables running around apart form my "play room".

    I am not talking about dragging a cable anywhere. All I am saying is take
    the laptop to the router and connect it using a RJ45 jack cable with maybe
    2 ft. or more of cable and plug it into the router.

    The laptop is mobile is it not? The desktop machine is wireless is it not?
    And both will be connected to the router. One with a wire connection and
    one wireless and you're good to go with the xfer of data or files with two
    computers using the O/S resource sharing abilities a wire connection
    machine accessing resources on the wireless or the other way around
    wireless machine accessing resources on the wire machine through the
    router. And both machines will still be able to access the internet while
    doing the xfer.

    Heck, with MS Netmeeting RDS on the machines, you could remote control the
    laptop from the desktop and never leave the upstarirs and access the
    Internet through the laptop via the desktop and do anything else you wanted
    on the laptop via RDS, access the Internet with IE the desktop machine and
    do anything on the desktop, and still be xfering files between the
    machines. And doing this all at the same time.

    That's the power the router will provide for you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Dizziness & Anxiety

    Duane Arnold, <>, the cock-a-hoop, podgy curryaholic, and
    pawnbroker, nagged:

    --
    Thou puling cuckold. Thou greasy, hairy side-piercing sight.

    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Hey forgive the insane freak and maniac with lewd conduct
    K-with-20-Eyes-and-8-Arms-Octopus aka K-20-and-8. There is something in
    the girl's drinking water coupled with her *Crack* smoking that has her
    gone on a routine basis. She escaped the asylum this morning and she has
    been stumbling around the NG(s) looking for attention.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Dimble Dumble

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Duane, once again cheers for reply, but it is not an option to have a
    machine in the area where the adsl terminates.

    If it were that simple I would have done that, my questions are around the
    fact that the wireless card stops transmitting on the lan side when the pci
    card is connected and has got a little off target with discussions on how
    everyone else would set it up, unfortunatly I am not in a position to do any
    of that

    I have gone out and got a usb adapter and everything is now sorted

    Cheers to you and all others who took the time to reply

    Dimble Dumble, Jun 23, 2005
  14. Even though got a USB card and it works great now. It still annoyed me why
    one side of the connection wouldn't work and it would stop communicating on
    internet side so did some more digging and found this, followed instructions
    and enabled both cards in the main machine and hooked up the crossover cable
    again (taking out the usb adapter from the laptop) and hey presto kicked
    into life and works great.

    So now got the new adapter and a backup solution

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q302348&ID=KB;EN-US;Q302348

    Dimble Dumble, Jul 3, 2005