    (machine language) to readable text or html?
    --
    leonard

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=, Jun 2, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

    Guest Guest

    << While I was at work, leonard spurted out:
    > Hi all!
    > Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest
    > form of language
    > (machine language) to readable text or html?

    Nope, no way possible. Nobody has ever thought about or tried it. Maybe, if you
    invent a way, you'll be rich....just like BillyG.

    --
    BD
    MCNGP #00110011

    Guest, Jun 2, 2006

  3. Yep, it's called assembly language.
    Contains mnemonics (commands), register names, operators, addresses and
    values describing the machine-code.
    No need to convert it though, since you can see it translated as you step
    through the program with any native debugger. If you don't have a modern
    debugger, just start a command-window and try the program debug.exe, the
    command you are looking for is 'u'

    sample:

    Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
    ; Converts to assembly-language
    MOV AX,4C01h
    INT 21
    ; end of assembly-language

    I strongly suggest higer level languages for large tasks, since life is of
    limited duration.

    Gorm Braarvig, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Do a quick google search for decompilers or reverse compiling. That's your
    best bet.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=, Jun 3, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

    Jim Nugent Guest

    In news:Ow83$,
    Gorm Braarvig <> wrote:

    > Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
    > ; Converts to assembly-language
    > MOV AX,4C01h
    > INT 21
    > ; end of assembly-language
    >
    > ... life is of limited duration.

    Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then INT 21
    into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in YOUR
    AL be 00h? :)
    --
    Jim
    "Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

    Jim Nugent, Jun 6, 2006
  6. >> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
    >> ; Converts to assembly-language
    >> MOV AX,4C01h
    >> INT 21
    >> ; end of assembly-language
    >>
    >> ... life is of limited duration.

    > Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then INT 21
    > into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in YOUR
    > AL be 00h? :)
    > --

    No. Code is buggy.

    Either
    MOV AX,4C01h
    INT 21h
    or
    MOV AX,4C01
    INT 21
    would be better, of course,
    MOV AX,4C01h
    INT 21
    looks much like
    MOV AX,4C01h
    INT 15h
    to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I don't
    remember what "INT 15h" does.

    Gorm Braarvig, Jun 6, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

    Jim Nugent Guest

    In news:%,
    Gorm Braarvig <> wrote:
    >>> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
    >>> ; Converts to assembly-language
    >>> MOV AX,4C01h
    >>> INT 21
    >>> ; end of assembly-language
    >>>
    >>> ... life is of limited duration.

    >> Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then
    >> INT 21 into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in
    >> YOUR
    >> AL be 00h? :)
    >> --

    > No. Code is buggy.
    >
    > Either
    > MOV AX,4C01h
    > INT 21h
    > or
    > MOV AX,4C01
    > INT 21
    > would be better, of course,
    > MOV AX,4C01h
    > INT 21
    > looks much like
    > MOV AX,4C01h
    > INT 15h
    > to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I
    > don't remember what "INT 15h" does.

    I didn't remember either but it looks it orginally translated a keyboard
    scan code (function 4F) and later was extended to do all sorts of things
    like "get the entire system memory map"(?!), with 16 bit function code E820.

    Well, I made it a bit poetic, but as for my code, this site claims it will
    work:

    http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/language/language.htm

    MOV AL,00 ; yes, AL = return code
    MOV AH,4C ; AH = DOS service 4CH Terminate with return code
    INT 21 ; call DOS

    I did it pretty much from memory (mine) last evening it was the function 4Ch
    that caught my eye. Too bad you can't Google a paperback book. :) could have
    coded MOV AX, 4C00 but I separated AH (funcion) and AL (return code) for
    emphasis. IIRC a return code of zero was "OK" while others were errors.

    BTW you may enjoy the following link. It's an analysis of the EICAR AV test
    string --- it's actually machine code. If you temporarily disable your AV,
    put the string in a text file, save it to eicar.com, and run it from a
    command prompt, it prints out:

    'EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!'

    See: http://thestarman.dan123.com/asm/eicar/eicarcom.html. You can d/l the
    eicar file from there as well. FWIW it exits "DOS" the old way --- INT 20h
    (registers ignored).

    Jim Nugent, Jun 6, 2006
  8. >>>> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"

    >>> Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then
    >>> INT 21 into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in
    >>> YOUR
    >>> AL be 00h? :)
    >>> --

    >> No. Code is buggy.
    >>
    >> Either
    >> MOV AX,4C01h
    >> INT 21h
    >> or
    >> MOV AX,4C01
    >> INT 21
    >> would be better, of course,
    >> MOV AX,4C01h
    >> INT 21
    >> looks much like
    >> MOV AX,4C01h
    >> INT 15h
    >> to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I
    >> don't remember what "INT 15h" does.

    > I didn't remember either but it looks it orginally translated a keyboard
    > scan code (function 4F) and later was extended to do all sorts of things
    > like "get the entire system memory map"(?!), with 16 bit function code
    > E820.
    >
    > Well, I made it a bit poetic, but as for my code, this site claims it will
    > work:
    >
    > http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/language/language.htm

    a bit disappointing link, I was hoping to find an assembly implementation of
    huffman encoding...

    > MOV AL,00 ; yes, AL = return code
    > MOV AH,4C ; AH = DOS service 4CH Terminate with return code
    > INT 21 ; call DOS
    >
    > I did it pretty much from memory (mine) last evening it was the function
    > 4Ch
    > that caught my eye. Too bad you can't Google a paperback book. :) could
    > have
    > coded MOV AX, 4C00 but I separated AH (funcion) and AL (return code) for
    > emphasis. IIRC a return code of zero was "OK" while others were errors.

    oh, what I tried to say was that an 'h' was missing (INT 21 vs INT 21h) or
    added unneccessary (AX, 4Cxxh), I used TASM in the old days, and I believe
    there was a pragma of sort to set hex as default, so code might not have
    been buggy, only fairly unclear, INT 21d would be more of an obvious
    mistake.

    > BTW you may enjoy the following link. It's an analysis of the EICAR AV
    > test
    > string --- it's actually machine code. If you temporarily disable your
    > AV,
    > put the string in a text file, save it to eicar.com, and run it from a
    > command prompt, it prints out:
    >
    > 'EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!'

    nice one.

    Gorm Braarvig, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Thanks all: what it boils down to is your need an assembler: thanks again
    --
    leonard

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=, Jun 7, 2006
  10. You have one: debug.exe. You could look for masm or tasm too. Visual Studio
    is my prefered editor. If you know C, inline assembly is nice (asm or
    __asm).

    Gorm Braarvig, Jun 8, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

    tjtravis

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Machine Language is viewable by notepad if it is a .com program.
    Machine language is the lowest level programming

    tjtravis, Jul 18, 2006