    Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and programs more or less
    snapping open, but that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.
    , Dec 6, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:30:50 -0500, wrote:

    >I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory, and massive
    >storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish lately. I've run SpyBot,
    >AdAware, cleaned the registry using Easy Cleaner, ran Norton Cleaner, did a
    >complete virus scan (nothing found) and defragged, and it still seems sluggish.
    >Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and programs more or less
    >snapping open, but that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.

    Control-Alt-Delete, look in the Processes, click on the CPU tab. Look
    at what's using the most CPU cycles - or the #2 or #3 item.

    Click on the Mem Usage tab. Look at the top few memory hogs.
    Evan Platt, Dec 6, 2006

  3. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory, and massive
    > storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish lately. I've run SpyBot,
    > AdAware, cleaned the registry using Easy Cleaner, ran Norton Cleaner, did

    > complete virus scan (nothing found) and defragged, and it still seems

    sluggish.
    > Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and programs more or

    less
    > snapping open, but that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.

    A bit more info might help.

    Are your drives SATA or ATA?

    Do you make any changes to your sytem lately?

    Look in the control panel at your HD controllers and see if anything has
    reverted to PIO mode
    philo, Dec 7, 2006
  4. Daave Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory, and
    > massive storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish lately. I've
    > run SpyBot, AdAware, cleaned the registry using Easy Cleaner, ran
    > Norton Cleaner, did a complete virus scan (nothing found) and
    > defragged, and it still seems sluggish. Anything else I can/should
    > do? I'm used to windows and programs more or less snapping open, but
    > that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.

    Before the defrag, did you delete temp and browser cache files?

    What has changed since the time your system was running better?

    What exactly is Norton Cleaner? Were you aware that ditching Norton
    often improves performance?

    --
    Dave
    Daave, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:27:29 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory, and massive
    >> storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish lately. I've run SpyBot,
    >> AdAware, cleaned the registry using Easy Cleaner, ran Norton Cleaner, did

    >> complete virus scan (nothing found) and defragged, and it still seems

    >sluggish.
    >> Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and programs more or

    >less
    >> snapping open, but that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >A bit more info might help.
    >
    >Are your drives SATA or ATA?
    >
    >Do you make any changes to your sytem lately?
    >
    >Look in the control panel at your HD controllers and see if anything has
    >reverted to PIO mode

    Two S-ATA hard drives, 120Gb and 200Gb. The Only change/addition I've made
    lately was the addition of an external 500Gb USB 2.0 drive. But I was having
    problems prior to this drive being added to the system.

    Where in the Control Panel do I find the HD Controllers? I looked and don't see
    that listed so I can check reversion to PIO mode, whatever that is. I'll go
    Google it. Thanks.
    , Dec 7, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:27:29 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory, and massive
    >> storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish lately. I've run SpyBot,
    >> AdAware, cleaned the registry using Easy Cleaner, ran Norton Cleaner, did

    >> complete virus scan (nothing found) and defragged, and it still seems

    >sluggish.
    >> Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and programs more or

    >less
    >> snapping open, but that hasn't been the case lately. Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >A bit more info might help.
    >
    >Are your drives SATA or ATA?
    >
    >Do you make any changes to your sytem lately?
    >
    >Look in the control panel at your HD controllers and see if anything has
    >reverted to PIO mode

    Just checked and controllers are all set for Ultra DMA mode.
    , Dec 7, 2006
  7. old man Guest

    And that running most if not all registry cleaners is an easy way to screw
    the system

    old man, Dec 7, 2006
  8. samuel Guest

    wrote in

    > I'm running a P4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro, 2Gb memory,
    > and massive storage (800+Gb). My machine has seemed sluggish
    > lately. I've run SpyBot, AdAware, cleaned the registry using
    > Easy Cleaner, ran Norton Cleaner, did a complete virus scan
    > (nothing found) and defragged, and it still seems sluggish.
    > Anything else I can/should do? I'm used to windows and
    > programs more or less snapping open, but that hasn't been the
    > case lately. Thanks in advance.

    get rid of Norton
    samuel, Dec 7, 2006
  9. You say you have 2 Gb of memory, so you shouldn't have any problem running
    out of memory, but you should still remove those programs that are not
    necessary especially registry cleaners, any norton utilities except norton
    antivirus, i would recommend you get rid of all the antispyware progs and
    download Windows Defender which uses only about 10 Megs of RAM. Run %temp%
    and delete all the files, set the amount of space for the temporary internet
    files at around 2-300 Megs (by default is 10% of the drive) and regularly
    clear the browser's cache.
    Since you have three huge hard drives i would strongly recommend you disable
    the indexing service, also you need to modify the registry
    DisableNtfsLastAccessUpdate set it to 1 (this is if your file system is
    Ntfs, - run a Google search if you're not sure how to do this). Use Perfect
    Disk to defrag the hard drives, a very fast and efficient program but make
    sure you configure the settings right and you need at leaast 25% free space
    on the drive for the defragmentation to be successful. I think once you do
    these you should start notice improvement in performance .

    Elinor Bahiti, Dec 8, 2006