Machine freeze-ups, weird Windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Xeno Chauvin, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Xeno Chauvin

    Xeno Chauvin Guest

    Machine started freezing up when I played a certain game.
    Freeze-ups then got to Win (XP-Home) and then eventually to some Win
    programs.
    They were/are intermittent and seem to present more symptoms each time.
    Machine froze up both at start up and after having run for hours.
    Currently the NEW oddity is when I try to pull down a menu it is very faded
    then
    brightens up. Also I note that the monitor seems to "pop" (not audibly but
    visually)
    once in a while but otherwise seems to be O.K.
    Any ideas if this is a software or hardware problem? How can I isolate the
    problem?
    I have;
    Updated all drivers;
    Have latest ( not SP2) Win XP auto- downloads.
    Latest Fire Wall and virus software versions. ( auto up dates from Symantec)
    Ran scan disk and defrag;
    Replaced mouse ( freeze-up appeared to happen when mouse involved.);
    Replaced video card;
    Tested power supply. ( only shows that it works not actual voltage.)
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Xeno
    Xeno Chauvin, Oct 2, 2004